Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 310 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Non Political Thread

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    No one knows Kimmi. There are many things that are not yet known about this virus. It only appeared in humans in December. Eventually, once a vaccine is developed and used widely enough, the carriers will no longer be a danger to society. Alternatively, if enough people contract the virus or are immunized and have antibodies to it then its possible the "herd immunity" will protect everyone who is susceptible. Herd immunity is defined here:

"the resistance to the spread of a contagious disease within a population that results if a sufficiently high proportion of individuals are immune to the disease, especially through vaccination.
    "the level of vaccination needed to achieve herd immunity varies by disease but ranges from 83 to 94 percent""
    I was just wondering if a carrier would always be a carrier and always pose a threat to others, until a vaccine is developed.

From a math perspective, the idea of 'herd immunity' makes complete sense to me.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    So can anybody provide a reasonable estimate as to when we can expect to be out of this mess? I was hoping for sometime around the end of June, hopefully before..?
    Thats the question of the day......my guess is that this will go on in some form until a vaccine is developed and widely available. The behavior of high risk individuals will likely be modified for a long time. JMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I was just wondering if a carrier would always be a carrier and always pose a threat to others, until a vaccine is developed.

From a math perspective, the idea of 'herd immunity' makes complete sense to me.
    It's what I've relied on over the years when it came to the flu
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Deity
    Frozen fruits/veggies. Anything frozen in general
    I go to the frozen vegetables section in one local grocery store, and all they have left is frozen kale, frozen edamame, frozen asparagus, frozen brussel sprouts...

So can anybody provide a reasonable estimate as to when we can expect to be out of this mess? I was hoping for sometime around the end of June, hopefully before..?
    No way to know until it actually levels off. We're in uncharted territory.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    Thats the question of the day......my guess is that this will go on in some form until a vaccine is developed and widely available. The behavior of high risk individuals will likely be modified for a long time. JMO.
    That's the thing. I don't think that we can shut down the world until everybody is healthy. That would take a year, at best

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I go to the frozen vegetables section in one local grocery store, and all they have left is frozen kale, frozen edamame, frozen asparagus, frozen brussel sprouts...
    I'm a big fan of the frozen kale. I put it in protein shakes that I have almost everyday

Frozen fruits/veggies. Anything frozen in general
    Our frozen section is close to normal again. I don't know if that's because people in FL tend to already overstock for frozen food in case of power outages or if people are just going back to regular shopping habits.

What kind of shortages are people still seeing?

My Publix was stocked with chicken for the first time in weeks. Still really low on canned goods, rice and the cleaning supplies/paper aisle is just demolished.
    Still no meats, no rice, no cleaning supplies. Some canned goods.

I have been able to find toilet paper and Kleenex, but timing is everything.

This isn’t exactly COVID 19 information, but it is something to do to pass the time while being cooped up.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/01/strat-...g-coronavirus/
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

My most surprising one so far was tortillas.

But I have found that one of my local grocery stores - a Butera - is rarely crowded and typically well-stocked...
    That's weird. For me, tortillas were the only bread option left over after the first wave of hoarding.

I don't think anyone knows. A lot of it depends on how well people follow the guidelines, particularly the stay at home orders.

It's what I've relied on over the years when it came to the flu
    This isn't the flu though.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post

The carrier state can be eradicated in some bacterial infections, like meningococcal infections. We have decent antibiotics. We do not really have a lot of good antiviral drugs, with some exceptions. Its conceivable that once a serology test is developed we could use the serum of convalescent people to treat the sickest victims. I think that is already being done on a very limited basis.

"Celtics guard Marcus Smart plans to donate plasma to the National COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma Project, The Athletic's Shams Charania reported Tuesday.

Smart, a former OSU Cowboy, announced two weeks ago that he had tested positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus. After two weeks of isolation, Smart announced on Sunday that he was coronavirus free, cleared by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.

Now, the antibodies in his blood may help others who suffer from COVID-19. On Saturday a hospital in Houston became the first in the United States to try experimental blood transfusion therapy on a patient critically ill with COVID-19.

The therapy, known as convalescent serum therapy, was used as early as the 1910s, in response to the Spanish Flu. The theory goes, if the immune systems of those who have recovered from COVID-19 have produced antibodies, plasma donations could deliver those antibodies to others through transfusions."

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/0...e-ready-monday

Researchers at Mayo Clinic expect to release a test that would tell whether a person has had and recovered from COVID-19 on Monday. The Star Tribune reports the University of Minnesota is also narrowing in on an antibody test.

The tests would help public health officials understand the scope of the outbreak and identify people who could safely be in public to help with relief efforts. They would also help in an effort to treat critical COVID-19 patients with plasma from individuals who have recovered.
    Very encouraging!

How great would that be to have people who can safely help with this fight without the risk of getting sick or infecting others?