Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 310 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Non Political Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Still no meats, no rice, no cleaning supplies. Some canned goods.

I have been able to find toilet paper and Kleenex, but timing is everything.
    I have my second order from Peapod coming on April 10th. In my first delivery, we only got 2/3 of our list. Hopefully, we do better this time and we get toilet paper.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    This isn't the flu though.
    This is true. I said the other day that I would be more open to getting a COVID-19 shot, it would just depend on other circumstances present at the time
    I can't disagree with you

I haven't been able to get chicken, beef, etc in a month. Fish is easy to find. Veggies are plentiful.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    The carrier state can be eradicated in some bacterial infections, like meningococcal infections. We have decent antibiotics. We do not really have a lot of good antiviral drugs, with some exceptions. Its conceivable that once a serology test is developed we could use the serum of convalescent people to treat the sickest victims. I think that is already being done on a very limited basis.

"Celtics guard Marcus Smart plans to donate plasma to the National COVID-19 Convalescent Plasma Project, The Athletic's Shams Charania reported Tuesday.

Smart, a former OSU Cowboy, announced two weeks ago that he had tested positive for COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus. After two weeks of isolation, Smart announced on Sunday that he was coronavirus free, cleared by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health.

Now, the antibodies in his blood may help others who suffer from COVID-19. On Saturday a hospital in Houston became the first in the United States to try experimental blood transfusion therapy on a patient critically ill with COVID-19.

The therapy, known as convalescent serum therapy, was used as early as the 1910s, in response to the Spanish Flu. The theory goes, if the immune systems of those who have recovered from COVID-19 have produced antibodies, plasma donations could deliver those antibodies to others through transfusions."
    Fingers crossed that this will work.

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    I haven't been able to get chicken, beef, etc in a month. Fish is easy to find. Veggies are plentiful.
    The past few weeks, the only meat available was expensive cuts of steak. This week, I nabbed ground beef for taco tuesday.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    That would be a gamechanger. I remember Cuomo saying something like that a few weeks ago, about how at some point we would need people out there
    Another unknown is whether or not, despite a high antibody titer, reinfection is possible. For many viral infections, once you get it, you are done with it. For others, especially those with the capacity to mutate frequently, infection does not confer immunity. Lets keep our fingers crossed that this thing does not possess the capacity to mutate frequently-or if mutation does occur, its only a few nucleotides that are not significant in the way our immune systems handle infection or vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Still no meats, no rice, no cleaning supplies. Some canned goods.

I have been able to find toilet paper and Kleenex, but timing is everything.
    Try Staples for home cleaning stuff

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    Another unknown is whether or not, despite a high antibody titer, reinfection is possible. For many viral infections, once you get it, you are done with it. For others, especially those with the capacity to mutate frequently, infection does not confer immunity. Lets keep our fingers crossed that this thing does not possess the capacity to mutate frequently-or if mutation does occur, its only a few nucleotides that are not significant in the way our immune systems handle infection or vaccination.
    I'm hoping for that as well, but MVP said yesterday there were a few cases in China of people getting it again
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Station 13 View Post
    I haven't been able to get chicken, beef, etc in a month.
    That's brutal. Where do you live?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

The past few weeks, the only meat available was expensive cuts of steak. This week, I nabbed ground beef for taco tuesday.
    Half of the stores don't even send weekly flyers anymore here. It's just how scare meat and non perishable food are.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    That's brutal. Where do you live?
    MA
    I gotta get my ass out early morning to get them if I want them

Legend
    I'm hoping for that as well, but MVP said yesterday there were a few cases in China of people getting it again
    I read those reports as well. Opinion is divided as to whether or not those people actually got reinfected or if they never really got rid of it in the first place. In any event, for now at least, it seems that reinfection, if it happens at all, is rare. The truth is that, obviously, we don't know much about this enemy. Another thing we do not know is that if you do contract this thing and develop antibodies and immunity is conferred, how long does it last? Is it for life? Or do you need annual vaccines? A tetanus vaccine is good for 5-10 years, but after that it is recommended that a booster shot be given. Vaccine recommendations changed several times when I was in practice-usually to recommend booster shots later in life for some diseases. That may well be the case with Covid19. Another unknown.
    Last edited by FredLynn; 04-02-2020 at 10:37 AM.

Deity
    That's weird. For me, tortillas were the only bread option left over after the first wave of hoarding.
    Your PBJ's must have sucked...

Deity
    Well, that might not have been what happened. Some people in China were tested twice and showed positive results twice, but it was never confirmed that the original infection had ended and this was indeed a second infection...

What time should I be over?