Register now to remove this ad

Page 279 of 310 FirstFirst ... 179229269277278279280281289 ... LastLast
Results 4,171 to 4,185 of 4638

Thread: COVID-19 Non Political Thread

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I understand that, but when an official organization vote to censure the governor over his mandate to wear masks, I don't think reporting the facts without any comments is "political."

Like I said, I will remove the post, if Kimmi thinks I should.
    I think you've explained yourself on that particular post.

Some stuff tends to fall into the borderline zone.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    You need to make use of the emojis.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    OOPS.

I would guess that the family members who were exposed to person A should also be tested. Not sure if in this circumstance they would need to be isolated because they have not come in contact with a person with known Covid, just a secondary exposure.
    You can drive yourself batty trying to figure out all the permutations of these situations.
    It's so hard to know which way is up these days. I guess what that means for me is that I'll just continue to stay home and entertain myself.

Kimmi, the only thing I could find about this was from the Huff Post, hardly a good source for medical information. They wrote this. As I suspected, its one of those things that is not known....no data so far.

A viewer asked, “If you are asymptomatic and test positive for COVID-19, after 14 days of quarantine, can you still spread the virus to others?”

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, it is not known how long an asymptomatic COVID-19 patient is contagious

Not particularly helpful
    You're right, that's not particularly helpful. That also sounds like the 14 day isolation period might not be sufficient, which goes against everything else I've heard about isolating.

I like that plan better than all online, and it would help with social distancing by reducing the amount of students in school at any given time, but I still think students being in school half the time will cut their learning nearly in half. Yes, it helps to see them every other day to go over what they did at home and set up what they need to do the next day, but that would mean less time for actually teaching face to face concepts and new lessons.

There is talk in my district of "virtual learning" as an option. I do not have any details.

Personally, I still want all the kids every day, but I know I am in a minority among teachers, from what I gather.
    Absolutely the best option for the education of our children would be to have them in school full time. I think most teachers ideally would like for that to happen.

I'm not sure what is meant by 'virtual learning', but it sounds kind of like what we did during the shut down.

I disagree. It's news. It's fact. It's significant than no county Dem parties have voted to censure the governor. I never commented that it was a good or bad thing, which would have been political, IMO.

Had I said, "a certain party" voted to censure, it would have been okay?

It wasn't a county voting. It was a party voting.

I'll delete if you really think we cant even talk about who is pushing back on mask-wearing in an official capacity?
    How about you just say that we have 8 counties who voted to censure the governor? Why do we need to know whether those counties are Republican or Democrat, unless you're trying to politicize it. It's only significant that no Dem parties voted to censure if you're making a political point.

If you want to discuss who is pushing back on mask wearing, discuss it in the other thread.

I don't care whether you go back and delete the post or not. The damage is already done. I'd rather you didn't post stuff like that in this thread to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Kimmi, I was joking.
    OK

FTR, one should not joke politics with me.

I am that turned off by the topic.

Legend
    Yeah! Finally we get some good news. I suspect, as Fauci said, that immunity will not be permanent like with the measles vaccine. Boosters will likely be needed, possibly every 4-6 months depending on your age, for a while. Hopefully a sufficient number of people will opt for the vaccine, if it is effective, so that herd immunity could develop.

"A Covid-19 vaccine developed by the biotechnology company Moderna in partnership with the National Institutes of Health has been found to induce immune responses in all of the volunteers who received it in a Phase 1 study.

These early results, published in the New England Journal of Medicine on Tuesday, showed that the vaccine worked to trigger an immune response with mild side effects -- fatigue, chills, headache, muscle pain, pain at the injection site -- becoming the first US vaccine candidate to publish results in a peer-reviewed medical journal
    The vaccine is expected to begin later this month a large Phase 3 trial -- the final trial stage before regulators consider whether to make the vaccine available.
    Early results from Moderna coronavirus vaccine trial show participants developed antibodies against the virus
    Moderna noted in a press release on Tuesday that, if all goes well in future studies, "the Company remains on track to be able to deliver approximately 500 million doses per year, and possibly up to 1 billion doses per year, beginning in 2021.
    Specifically, all participants developed neutralizing antibodies to the virus at levels similar to those seen in people who've naturally recovered from Covid-19, according to the study. Neutralizing antibodies bind to the virus, disabling it from attacking human cells."

The link to the whole article is here. Not yet time to spike the ball, but if neutralzing antibodies are getting made there is a good chance it will be protective. I believe they used three different doses, and as I recall the higher dose elicited neutralizing antibodies at levels that significantly exceeded those produced in convalescent patients. Good to hear they are already producing it as well. If the study goes exceptionally well my guess is that first responders will get the vaccine late fall and the rest of us maybe in December or January with the highest risk people getting it first. I also think that effective medications will be available before then-monoclonal antibodies-to bridge the gap between now and then. I believe those trials also start this month and they shouldn't take as long as a vaccine to get approved because they will be given to people who are sick-it will either work or it won't and they should know that rather quickly.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/14/healt...udy/index.html

Our job right now is to make sure each of us stays healthy and respect our neighbors by preventing spread.
    Last edited by FredLynn; 07-14-2020 at 05:18 PM.

Yeah! Finally we get some good news. I suspect, as Fauci said, that immunity will not be permanent like with the measles vaccine. Boosters will likely be needed, possibly every 4-6 months depending on your age, for a while. Hopefully a sufficient number of people will opt for the vaccine, if it is effective, so that herd immunity could develop.

"A Covid-19 vaccine developed by the biotechnology company Moderna in partnership with the National Institutes of Health has been found to induce immune responses in all of the volunteers who received it in a Phase 1 study.

These early results, published in the New England Journal of Medicine on Tuesday, showed that the vaccine worked to trigger an immune response with mild side effects -- fatigue, chills, headache, muscle pain, pain at the injection site -- becoming the first US vaccine candidate to publish results in a peer-reviewed medical journal
    The vaccine is expected to begin later this month a large Phase 3 trial -- the final trial stage before regulators consider whether to make the vaccine available.
    Early results from Moderna coronavirus vaccine trial show participants developed antibodies against the virus
    Moderna noted in a press release on Tuesday that, if all goes well in future studies, "the Company remains on track to be able to deliver approximately 500 million doses per year, and possibly up to 1 billion doses per year, beginning in 2021.
    Specifically, all participants developed neutralizing antibodies to the virus at levels similar to those seen in people who've naturally recovered from Covid-19, according to the study. Neutralizing antibodies bind to the virus, disabling it from attacking human cells."

The link to the whole article is here. Not yet time to spike the ball, but if antibodies are getting made there is a good chance it will be protective. Good to hear they are already producing it as well. If the study goes exceptionally well my guess is that first responders will get the vaccine late fall and the rest of us maybe in December or January with the highest risk people getting it first. I also think that effective medications will be available before then-monoclonal antibodies-to bridge the gap between now and then. I believe those trials also start this month and they shouldn't take as long as a vaccine to get approved because they will be given to people who are sick-it will either work or it won't and they should know that rather quickly.

Our job right now is to make sure each of us stays healthy and respect our neighbors by preventing spread.
    Sounds promising!

Keep the good news coming!

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Sounds promising!

Keep the good news coming!
    I posted this information a while ago when Moderna made it public. The difference here is that it was published after being peer reviewed in a very respectable medical journal.
    Slasher I believe is involved with this study- or was it the Astra Zeneca study he was involved with.
    Hard to keep them all straight.
    Last edited by FredLynn; 07-14-2020 at 05:53 PM.

Absolutely the best option for the education of our children would be to have them in school full time. I think most teachers ideally would like for that to happen.

I'm not sure what is meant by 'virtual learning', but it sounds kind of like what we did during the shut down.
    I just found out. We are opening up nearly 100% online. They said just very few students will be on campus- my guess is SPED and maybe Beginning/Intermediate ESL.

They will use the first week to teach the safety plans for in- school learning and to set up online protocols, in case we need to shut down school later.

Many parents are irate. Many are relieved.

I'm thinking it's probably a good idea, and since I teach ESL, maybe I'll get my kiddos to start.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

How about you just say that we have 8 counties who voted to censure the governor? Why do we need to know whether those counties are Republican or Democrat, unless you're trying to politicize it. It's only significant that no Dem parties voted to censure if you're making a political point.

If you want to discuss who is pushing back on mask wearing, discuss it in the other thread.

I don't care whether you go back and delete the post or not. The damage is already done. I'd rather you didn't post stuff like that in this thread to begin with.
    I get your point, but I do feel like we have talked about push back on mask wearing a lot on this thread and often wondered why everyone don't or won't do it. I felt this was a reason. I didn't want to say 8 counties voted, because that is far from the truth.

I will delete the post.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity

The link to the whole article is here. Not yet time to spike the ball, but if neutralzing antibodies are getting made there is a good chance it will be protective. I believe they used three different doses, and as I recall the higher dose elicited neutralizing antibodies at levels that significantly exceeded those produced in convalescent patients. Good to hear they are already producing it as well. If the study goes exceptionally well my guess is that first responders will get the vaccine late fall and the rest of us maybe in December or January with the highest risk people getting it first. I also think that effective medications will be available before then-monoclonal antibodies-to bridge the gap between now and then. I believe those trials also start this month and they shouldn't take as long as a vaccine to get approved because they will be given to people who are sick-it will either work or it won't and they should know that rather quickly.

Well that is certainly headed in the right direction. I would think that 4-6 months to boosters is not going to get it done though. However, progress is progress. They are making progress.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    Well that is certainly headed in the right direction. I would think that 4-6 months to boosters is not going to get it done though. However, progress is progress. They are making progress.
    There are many-if not most- vaccines that require multiple doses. For example the Dtap given to babies requires 3 doses at 2,4,and 6 months of age. The hep B vaccine also needs multiple doses, as does the polio vaccine. In fact I can’t off hand think of a single vaccine that works with one dose.
    Remember: as relates to this virus we are all babies. None of us has ever seen it before.

Deity
    There are many-if not most- vaccines that require multiple doses. For example the Dtap given to babies requires 3 doses at 2,4,and 6 months of age. The hep B vaccine also needs multiple doses, as does the polio vaccine. In fact I can’t off hand think of a single vaccine that works with one dose.
    Remember: as relates to this virus we are all babies. None of us has ever seen it before.
    Babies and adults are not the same story when it comes to vaccines....even babies and teenagers are not the same mass acceptance candidates for vaccines.
    First, you have the people that no longer believe in vaccination FOR ANYTHING, even the stuff that at least in my case was simply automatically done by parents.
    Second, you have the people that simply will not stand for that sort of short interval between multiple boosters. A vaccination and a single booster....fine....,multiple boosters....IMO.....good lick with that
    Third, you have the people that no longer believe in the integrity of the institution of medicine and THAT is not a small crowd either. Frankly, I really do not think all of these class action suits for medical devices and medicines that one would not have thought would have gone that way are helpful. Not talking about big Pharma and Narcotics here. Those involved pretty straightforward tort for horrible abuses by drug companies. But even those suits do not help people's perception of the drug companies and biochem. Then there is "used talcum power? join our law suit." "Had a hernia mesh used in your treatment, join our law suit." There has been an endless stream of tort v the medical community the last few years and it may or may not be justified. But it is there and the ads drawing people to the class actions are endless. Even if one does not join a suit, one cannot help get the impression that maybe something has gone awry.
    Fourth, the trust of Government may never have been lower. So what part will Government play in promoting this vaccine and to what extent will that effort be accepted?
    Fifth, whether some of us want to believe it or not even in 2021 we will still be hearing people tell us that they just don't see what the rest of us are worried about or worse, "ITS A HOAX".

All by way of saying that I think it will be a steep uphill battle for a vaccine that requires multiple boosters within short intervals.

That said, I have never thought that a vaccine developed for this bear, this mother of a virus would be a "Kablam, here is your vaccine kind of event." So to me, progress is progress. I simply doubt this particular vaccine in its current formulation will go anywhere. Just my opinion.