Register now to remove this ad

Page 259 of 310 FirstFirst ... 159209249257258259260261269309 ... LastLast
Results 3,871 to 3,885 of 4638

Thread: COVID-19 Non Political Thread

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    At the risk of triggering my friend MVP, I think it is unanimously agreed by the contributors of this board that Jung has been a jerkoff for insisting to post this garbage here against the numerous requests to stop. Everyone should put him on ignore.
    It wouldn't be the first time I've had to do that to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Mods are doing their best. I have no complaints with them.

We seem to be self policing fairly well.
    True, considering yeszir gave up on the other thread. We have done a pretty good job of keeping beefs over there. I haven't had very many beefs so I can't say for sure but it seems that way at least
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by jung View Post
    Since so many of us are ideologically corrupted or simply oblivious to the workings of our own democracy, let's get something straight. POLITICS IS NOT GOVERNANCE. Politics is the business of trying to get elected to public office. Governance is the execution of public office.

The "other thread" so many refer to here is supposed to be the POLITICS THREAD.

It should be clear at this point that the execution of governance or more accurately, the failed execution of governance is an important contributor to our current predicament with regard to this virus and those comments regarding the execution of governance BELONG IN THIS THREAD. That the current President has not assumed the mantle of Chief Executive of the Executive Branch for one minute of his term in office, failing us miserably with regard to the pandemic among other things is a significant element to our current predicament.

This Chief Executive clearly does not know the difference between politics and governance as he politics 24/7, hardly ever taking the time to govern. When he does take the time to govern, his version of governing is to twist your arm behind your back and stick a knife to your throat or use the assets of government, OUR ASSETS, to further is personal ambitions. Not quite what the Founders had in mind in my estimation. Worth mentioning that twisting your arm behind your back and sticking a knife to your throat was his business MO as well through a career defined by bankruptcy, failure and running through daddy's money like it was water. It is also the MO of a despot, a dictator, an autocrat.

It should also be clear that currently as a group, as a nation we are less knowledgeable about the workings of our federalist democracy than at any time in our history including the time when it took a fortnight to get news from the nation's centers of government out to the hinterlands. The combination of what is now a deeply flawed systems of education with regard to American History and Civics and government and political leaders purposefully muddying the waters and distinction between politics and governance has led us to this point where well over half of us have no earthly idea what we are talking about!

To deny that there is a difference between governance and politics is simple ignorance and in some cases apparently purposeful ignorance. Want proof that there is a difference? If Donald Duck were simply running for office, politicking, as opposed to actually holding the office would many or any of us care what the fuck he thought or said? If Donald were not actually in the office he seeks would his nonsense have any meaning AT ALL? Trump "politicked" well to achieve the office having no idea how to function in the position once he achieved it and having not learned a single thing about functioning as Chief Executive from that day to this one.

My advice to many of the participants in this thread:
    1) In some cases, get your ideological heads out of your asses
    2) In most cases, GET A CIVICS LESSON because most of you have no earthly idea what you are talking about and certainly have no concept of the proper breadth of the current thread topic, the virus and our progress fighting it
    Jung , You are a true warrior. Proud , defiant and all knowing . The smartest , boldest , bravest man on the planet.

Legend
    This is a new approach to fighting coronavirus. Seems that once inside a cell it forces normal cells to produce a tentacle like structure using an enzyme called kinase (technically a group of enzymes) on the tip of which the virus can reside and gain access to neighboring cells. There are existing drugs that inhibit kinase that are now being tested. Yes, its still going to be a while before the results are in but this looks promising:

https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2020/06/41...ators-survival

One more. A bit technical, but these drugs, kinase inhibitors, have been shown to be effective in vitro

https://www.microbiologyresearch.org...9/jgv.0.001047
    Last edited by FredLynn; 07-06-2020 at 12:04 PM.

Mods are doing their best. I have no complaints with them.

We seem to be self policing fairly well.
    The mods here are awesome. That said, when is the last time that any of them have been on this site? Granted, most of us are policing ourselves very well, but sometimes we do need a mod to step in.

I see where the MLB Trade Rumors site has suspended comments regarding Covid -19 because they were becoming too toxic .

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    All of those sound good to me. Another one worth mentioning is that treatments have improved, but our doctors and nurses also know how to treat it better than they did in March and April. They know what works and what doesn't
    Exactly.

Another one could be that the virus is mutating towards being more contagious or less lethal or both..

Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I see where the MLB Trade Rumors site has suspended comments regarding Covid -19 because they were becoming too toxic .
    No way!

How can that ever happen?
    Sox 4 Ever

USA Daily Deaths trending down;

Attached Images Attached Images
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

NY State Daily Cases and Daily Deaths:

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Florida Daily New Cases, Daily New Hospitalizations and Daily Deaths:

Legend
    Cannabis for Covid?

"That’s where cannabis comes in. The authors explain that several cannabinoids in the cannabis plant have anti-inflammatory properties. In particular, they point to CBD as the most likely candidate for treating COVID-19 related inflammation. CBD has shown serious anti-inflammatory properties in previous studies, it doesn't create the disorienting psychotropic effects associated with cannabis’ most common chemical THC, and it has already been approved by the FDA as safe for children with intractable epilepsy. If successful at reducing inflammation for COVID-19 patients, it could be a safer alternative to other anti-inflammatory options.

Why do researchers believe CBD can help with COVID-19, specifically?

For one thing, the authors explain that previous research has shown that CBD can reduce a number of pro-inflammatory cytokines including IL-6, the one reduced by other drugs being studied for COVID-19. CBD was also shown to reduce interleukin (IL)-2, IL-1α and β, interferon gamma, inducible protein-10, monocyte chemoattractant protein-1, macrophage inflammatory protein-1α, and tumor necrosis factor-α - all of which are associated with the pathology of severe cases of COVID-19. In addition to reducing these pro-inflammatory cytokines, CBD has also been shown to increase the production of interferons, a type of signaling protein that activates immune cells and prevents viruses from replicating. "

(the article is too long to paste here...its from Forbes)

https://apple.news/AZp6qdDfzQKa5F8QA9x54JQ

Deity
    So I just got back from Iowa City, Iowa.

Talk about a different world.

1. Maybe 50 percent wear masks. You can walk into a store without one. Weird, huh?

2. Restaurants let you eat inside. I had forgotten what that was like.

Then back to IL where I cannot walk into a building without someone taking my temperature...

Legend
    IMEH just revised their US death estimate significantly upwards: over 208,000 dead Americans by Nov 1.

Folks, we are going to need to shut down the hot spots NOW or we are looking at 400-500,000 deaths more than likely before this is all over. Shut down as in everyone stays at home unless they need medical care. Grim.

Florida: over 17,000 deaths if mandates ease
    California: 16,800
    Arizona: over 5500
    Texas: 13,450

WE NEED TO SHUT DOWN A LARGE PART OF THIS COUNTRY NOW!
    https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america
    Last edited by FredLynn; 07-07-2020 at 05:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    IMEH just revised their US death estimate significantly upwards: over 208,000 dead Americans by Nov 1.

Folks, we are going to need to shut down the hot spots NOW or we are looking at 400-500,000 deaths more than likely before this is all over. Shut down as in everyone stays at home unless they need medical care. Grim.

Florida: over 17,000 deaths if mandates ease
    California: 16,800
    Arizona: over 5500
    Texas: 13,450

WE NEED TO SHUT DOWN A LARGE PART OF THIS COUNTRY NOW!
    https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america
    I don't think the latest projection is that much different than the previous one. The previous one only projected through October 1 rather than November 1. Also, look at the daily deaths through mid September. They are staying more or less level. It's after about mid September that the number of daily deaths starts rising, and that's based on continued easing of restrictions. It seems like most states are backing down on their easing of restrictions.

Look at the projection if masks are worn. It looks much, much better. All is not grim, but people do need to start wearing masks, and businesses need to start enforcing the wearing of masks.