Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 310 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Non Political Thread

COVID-19 Non Political Thread

A place to discuss the virus without any of the politics.

I and others would kindly appreciate if you would post any insights, opinions, or updates about the virus here, without the political commentary.

Hopefully, I will then not have to venture back into the other COVID thread.

To repeat a question that I had from the other thread, directed at FredLynn:

How long does a carrier remain a carrier? Will that person create antibodies to rid himself or herself of the virus so that he or she will no longer be contagious after the typical 14-day period?

Legend
    Thank you for starting this. I will be posting here rather than on the other Covid thread. Hopefully Jacko will join us here, but I am sure he has his hands full. As I recall he is an ER doc.

You are a lifesaver Kimmi!
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    Thank you for starting this. I will be posting here rather than on the other Covid thread. Hopefully Jacko will join us here, but I am sure he has his hands full. As I recall he is an ER doc.
    Thank you. I appreciate yours and Jacko's posts, along with the informational posts from the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    You are a lifesaver Kimmi!
    Let's see if this works. LOL

What kind of shortages are people still seeing?

My Publix was stocked with chicken for the first time in weeks. Still really low on canned goods, rice and the cleaning supplies/paper aisle is just demolished.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    To repeat a question that I had from the other thread, directed at FredLynn:

How long does a carrier remain a carrier? Will that person create antibodies to rid himself or herself of the virus so that he or she will no longer be contagious after the typical 14-day period?
    No one knows Kimmi. We don't even have a reliable serology test to determine who is immune or relatively immune to Covid19. I think that will happen soon, and it will be a major breakthrough. There are many things that are not yet known about this virus. It only appeared in humans in December. Eventually, once a vaccine is developed and used widely enough, the carriers will no longer be a danger to society. Alternatively, if enough people contract the virus or are immunized and have antibodies to it then its possible the "herd immunity" will protect everyone who is susceptible. Herd immunity is defined here:

"the resistance to the spread of a contagious disease within a population that results if a sufficiently high proportion of individuals are immune to the disease, especially through vaccination.
    "the level of vaccination needed to achieve herd immunity varies by disease but ranges from 83 to 94 percent""
    Last edited by FredLynn; 04-02-2020 at 10:09 AM.

So can anybody provide a reasonable estimate as to when we can expect to be out of this mess? I was hoping for sometime around the end of June, hopefully before..?

My Publix was stocked with chicken for the first time in weeks. Still really low on canned goods, rice and the cleaning supplies/paper aisle is just demolished.
    Frozen fruits/veggies. Anything frozen in general

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/0...e-ready-monday

Researchers at Mayo Clinic expect to release a test that would tell whether a person has had and recovered from COVID-19 on Monday. The Star Tribune reports the University of Minnesota is also narrowing in on an antibody test.

The tests would help public health officials understand the scope of the outbreak and identify people who could safely be in public to help with relief efforts. They would also help in an effort to treat critical COVID-19 patients with plasma from individuals who have recovered.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    I haven't seen him online for a while. But I think we all know whjy.

6,980 cases in Illinois as of yesterday. Less than a week ago we had about 1,400. "Shelter in place" orders are in place until 4/30 so far. That's the COVID status out here.

Oh, and the Notin Family is hunkered down together in our little house. After about a 2 weeks of this, I am beginning to think that the members of the Donner party actually weren't hungry...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...after-covid-19

“Those who are immune could be issued with a kind of vaccination pass that would for example allow them to exempted from restrictions on their activity,” said Gerard Krause, head of epidemiology at the Helmholtz Centre for Infection Research in Braunschweig. The German government has not yet officially commented on the proposal for such a certificate made by scientists.

Dr Philippa Whitford, an SNP MP and former surgeon, said immunity passports could be used specifically for key workers in healthcare in the UK but would be difficult to roll out more widely across the country because of the level of administration needed.

Whitford, who is also chair of the all-party parliamentary group for vaccines, said the length of time someone may have immunity after they have had Covid-19 was still largely unknown. Someone contracting Sars, which is also a coronavirus, did not have long-term immunity – potentially only up to a year after the infection.

https://www.mprnews.org/story/2020/0...e-ready-monday

Researchers at Mayo Clinic expect to release a test that would tell whether a person has had and recovered from COVID-19 on Monday. The Star Tribune reports the University of Minnesota is also narrowing in on an antibody test.

The tests would help public health officials understand the scope of the outbreak and identify people who could safely be in public to help with relief efforts. They would also help in an effort to treat critical COVID-19 patients with plasma from individuals who have recovered.
    That would be a gamechanger. I remember Cuomo saying something like that a few weeks ago, about how at some point we would need people out there

Deity

My most surprising one so far was tortillas.

But I have found that one of my local grocery stores - a Butera - is rarely crowded and typically well-stocked...