Register now to remove this ad

Page 168 of 310 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170178218268 ... LastLast
Results 2,506 to 2,520 of 4638

Thread: COVID-19 Non Political Thread

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Why did you leave out the number for 5/24 which is what I was referencing when I made my post? That number is 617 which is the lowest level since 3/29.
    I left it off, because your original post was from yesterday. I wasn't aware yesterday's totals were there at the time of your post, but I should have, since it was listed on the site and info I posted. My bad.

So, you were basically using one day numbers: May 24th vs March 31st. I guess I took your statement to mean a broader time frame than just two specific days.

Weird how my site showed about 400 more deaths on 5/24 than 3/31, but yours shows about 400 less. The other days don't seem to be as radically far off between the two sites.

(BTW, I did mention the one day vs one day comp did show what you claimed.)

Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Quarantine fatigue is real. And since the summer will still be an augmented summer with masks and distancing and less fun events, people are going to be far less likely to go back inside and distance when the weather cools. Also, personal freedoms are now being pushed ahead of the lives of the potential sick and eventually, they’re going to win. Also, we are highly unlikely to see broad, federal shutdowns again regardless. It’ll be state by state and when you’re going that route, it’s akin to having a peeing section of a swimming pool
    Some states are seeing their biggest spikes while at the same time widening their opening up plans. I think that's a sign, some states will not go back to restrictions, unless they are shocked back into doing so.

Many would think they should be rolling back opening up plans or even adding some restrictions, at least in hot spot areas of their states, but instead they are pushing forward to take away more and more restrictions.

I'm not going to pretend I know better than anyone else, and these governors are between a rock and a hard place, but it's concerning to see places like Montgomery, Alabama maxed out on ICU bed occupation and relaxing more and more restrictions at the same time.

BTW, thank you for your service during this pandemic and thank you for your thoughtful and informative insights from a medical standpoint.

Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    SyFy original pictures presents “Murder Hornets vs Rat Gangs”. I see a John Schneider and Eric Roberts in the cast. And maybe Rib Hillis and the former Special Ops-turned-exterminator who teams up with Erin Karplunk as the street-tough entymologist with a heart of gold...
    Erin Karpluk - interesting choice. You're assuming it'll be made in Canada?
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I left it off, because your original post was from yesterday. I wasn't aware yesterday's totals were there at the time of your post, but I should have, since it was listed on the site and info I posted. My bad.

So, you were basically using one day numbers: May 24th vs March 31st. I guess I took your statement to mean a broader time frame than just two specific days.

Weird how my site showed about 400 more deaths on 5/24 than 3/31, but yours shows about 400 less. The other days don't seem to be as radically far off between the two sites.

What site are you using?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Erin Karpluk - interesting choice. You're assuming it'll be made in Canada?
    Do you think any major US studio lets Eric Roberts through the front door?

I think a big chunk of the SyFy Original movies are shot in Canada.

I actually hope if it is made in Canada, Miranda Frigon is the female lead...
    Last edited by notin; 05-25-2020 at 02:53 PM.

Legend
    Quarantine fatigue is real. And since the summer will still be an augmented summer with masks and distancing and less fun events, people are going to be far less likely to go back inside and distance when the weather cools. Also, personal freedoms are now being pushed ahead of the lives of the potential sick and eventually, they’re going to win. Also, we are highly unlikely to see broad, federal shutdowns again regardless. It’ll be state by state and when you’re going that route, it’s akin to having a peeing section of a swimming pool
    I have a more optimistic view (for a change!). Most states are not opening up full throttle...in fact none of them are. I understand that a lot of people are not wearing masks or keeping their distance, but if places like Italy can open up with fewer deaths per day, so can we. There might be more than had everyone stayed home, but that cannot go on forever. I have faith that the governors will act at least somewhat responsibly in protecting their citizens. Also, I am encouraged by the progress of the Moderna and Oxford vaccine trials. Although nothing is proven yet the news from them is all good. I expect a decent vaccine by very early 2021. And there are over 200 medications being studied as therapy. Hopefully one of them will pan out, either alone, or in combination with other medications. Meanwhile, the infection rate despite bad behavior by some outliers is coming down in this country, and we will be better prepared with increased testing and contact tracing when the next spike happens. This time around it was all new; next time we will better know what works.

What site are you using?
    I gave the link in the original post on numbers, but here it is again:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/d...y=USA+OWID_WRL

I like this site, because it is interactive and allows me to pick what countries I want included in the graphs and charts.

It showed 1305 for May 23rd, 1080 yesterday and 633 for today.

It showed 318 and 661 for the last 2 days of March.

Last edited by moonslav59; 05-25-2020 at 03:37 PM.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    I have a more optimistic view (for a change!). Most states are not opening up full throttle...in fact none of them are. I understand that a lot of people are not wearing masks or keeping their distance, but if places like Italy can open up with fewer deaths per day, so can we. There might be more than had everyone stayed home, but that cannot go on forever. I have faith that the governors will act at least somewhat responsibly in protecting their citizens. Also, I am encouraged by the progress of the Moderna and Oxford vaccine trials. Although nothing is proven yet the news from them is all good. I expect a decent vaccine by very early 2021. And there are over 200 medications being studied as therapy. Hopefully one of them will pan out, either alone, or in combination with other medications. Meanwhile, the infection rate despite bad behavior by some outliers is coming down in this country, and we will be better prepared with increased testing and contact tracing when the next spike happens. This time around it was all new; next time we will better know what works.
    Since contact tracing is being left to the states, it does worry me that some are just beginning to plan on setting up a system. With so many smart people unemployed, right now, it seems like we could and should be farther ahead in this area.

We also will not be seeing the full results of these re-openings for a few more days and weeks, but I do agree, it seems like things are brightening up,overall.
    Sox 4 Ever

Legend
    Since contact tracing is being left to the states, it does worry me that some are just beginning to plan on setting up a system. With so many smart people unemployed, right now, it seems like we could and should be farther ahead in this area.

We also will not be seeing the full results of these re-openings for a few more days and weeks, but I do agree, it seems like things are brightening up,overall.
    One more thing: I admit that I was very worried about Georgia opening up so soon, but if you look at the IMEH model both infections and deaths are DECREASING. There will be bumps, but that is encouraging. I think Jacko is so close to this that it probably affects his outlook. We get to sit in our homes and type; he looks the devil in the eyes every day. He has every right to feel the way he does.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    One more thing: I admit that I was very worried about Georgia opening up so soon, but if you look at the IMEH model both infections and deaths are DECREASING. There will be bumps, but that is encouraging. I think Jacko is so close to this that it probably affects his outlook. We get to sit in our homes and type; he looks the devil in the eyes every day. He has every right to feel the way he does.
    I think Georgia began opening up about 3 weeks ago, and it took a while to get where they are now, but it is surprising the numbers have not spiked the last few days. That's a very good sign that re-opening is likely not a certain deadly mistake, but more time might be needed to fully judge their decisions.
    Sox 4 Ever

Legend
    I think Georgia began opening up about 3 weeks ago, and it took a while to get where they are now, but it is surprising the numbers have not spiked the last few days. That's a very good sign that re-opening is likely not a certain deadly mistake, but more time might be needed to fully judge their decisions.
    Its definitely encouraging. If you look at the IMEH stuff mobility is still down 25% from "normal" (it maxxed out in early April at -49%). People are playing smart out there; many are still staying home despite being allowed to go out. I suspect that will be the case elsewhere, even when states open up more. I don't think folks are going to take advantage of the new opportunities until they feel safe.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I saw a video of one of these hornets killing a mouse . It attacked the hapless mouse viciously and killed it rather quickly . A rat might be a different story . Stay tuned.
    Yikes. It's amazing what some insects can do.

If you think about it, hospitals use positive pressure to vent out virus laden air. When you’re outside, the wind does that for you. Also, sunlight does kill the virus. So double whammy on being outside.

Here’s the rub here. We will see little spikes when people act like morons and get real close outside. But for those acting responsibly, socially distanced outdoor meetings are fine. The next wave comes when meeting someone has to happen inside when the weather cools. That’s going to lead to an epic second wave, especially if treatments and vaccines remain up in the air
    I still don't think the second wave will be as bad as the first one. I am hopeful that we are better prepared for it, and that we will be smarter about it if there's a second wave.

I see the possibility for a movie.
    No doubt. A box office smash, for sure.

It seems very probable that we will never know the true number of deaths caused by this virus, and that numbers will continue to differ, in some cases by quite a bit, depending on which site you use. It's hard to know what to believe.