Register now to remove this ad

Page 170 of 310 FirstFirst ... 70120160168169170171172180220270 ... LastLast
Results 2,536 to 2,550 of 4638

Thread: COVID-19 Non Political Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    I know I get real uncomfortable when anyone not wearing a mask gets a bit too close.
    Less than 25% of the shoppers at the grocery store this weekend were wearing masks. When I first started going back it was about 75%.

Also, nobody follows the arrows that tell you which way to go down an aisle.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Wear a mask and wash your hands. It's not that much to ask especially if you have a family to take care of because being alive for those kids is the most important thing.
    If we just did those two things plus trying to avoid getting too close, if possible, and went back to total normalcy in term of no other restrictions, we'd be much better off.

Continue to ramp up testing by a lot.

Establish a solid contact tracing program.

Follow these few simple safety precautions.

Go back to work and social interactions, except maybe in hot spots.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Legend
    If we just did those two things plus trying to avoid getting too close, if possible, and went back to total normalcy in term of no other restrictions, we'd be much better off.

We are gradually identifying more and more people who have the disease. The numbers being bandied about on the news in terms of which states are seeing increases are absurd because they do not account for he increase in testing that is going on. In my county we are getting a lot more positive tests, in the neighborhood of 10-15 a day now. But the testing has TRIPLED over the past several weeks and our positive test number is hovering around 4%. So I look at the number of positive tests as a good thing in terms of winning the war: we are identifying more infected people and isolating them. I suspect my county is not alone. Simply saying that the number of cases is going up is meaningless without the context of how many tests are being done.
    Last edited by FredLynn; 05-26-2020 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    My site finalizes numbers at 9 pm EDT.
    My guess is my site is about one day off (or sets the day maybe from noon to noon).

It has 500 listed for today, which is close to your site's yesterday number.

My site: https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/d...y=USA+OWID_WRL

500 5/26
    816 5/25
    1080 5/24
    1305 5/23
    1263 5/22
    1518 5/21
    1568 5/20

Your site: https://www.worldometers.info/corona...w4frUOS-JiafFE

505 5/25
    617 5/24
    1036 5/23
    1293 5/22
    1418 5/21
    1403 5/20
    1552 5/19

The numbers look a lot closer, if you compare my sites daily numbers to your site's numbers from the yesterdays.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    We are gradually identifying more and more people who have the disease. The numbers being bandied about on the news in terms of which states are seeing increases are absurd because they do not account for he increase in testing that is going on. In my county we are getting a lot more positive tests, in the neighborhood of 10-15 a day now. But the testing has TRIPLED over the past several weeks and our positive test number is hovering around 4%. So I look at the number of positive tests as a good thing: we are identifying more infected people and isolating them. I suspect my county is not alone. Simply saying that the number of cases is going up is meaningless without the context of how many tests are being done.
    Yes, positive results per test given would be one stat that would indicate an area is improving or getting worse.

Also, if testing is being expanded to asymptomatic people, then the positive results per test should be expected to be lower than when testing only people that have symptoms.

Daily new hospital admittances would be a another telling number in identifying hot spots.

Instead we get people trying to go viral by showing up at grocery stores and demanding to be able to shop without a mask despite the stores' various policies.

"I thought I woke up in a free country!!!"

Instead we get people trying to go viral by showing up at grocery stores and demanding to be able to shop without a mask despite the stores' various policies.

Yes, how about our "freedom" from catching the disease from them?

Why mandate car insurance?

Why even have traffic laws?

Deity

Did our parents and/or grandparents whine similarly when every store and restaurant started putting up those signs that say “No Shirt? No Shoes? No Service!”?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Did our parents and/or grandparents whine similarly when every store and restaurant started putting up those signs that say “No Shirt? No Shoes? No Service!”?
    In South Florida? Probably.

We have a condition down here called Florida Feet. https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...Florida%20Feet

Shall NOT BE INFRINGED!!!!!!

Deity

Screw drunk driving laws!! It's just the Man keepin' me down!!

My car, my choice!!!!

Deity
    In South Florida? Probably.

We have a condition down here called Florida Feet. https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...Florida%20Feet
    Well, Florida and Georgia were the two states that used to shoot down metric road signs, I believe. So very possible.

(My brother lived in Florida for years. One time him and a friend decided to walk to another friend's house that was about 50 miles away from Tampa, where they lived. It was then I learned about Florida Feet.)

Recent stat: According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2.1 million people live in nursing homes or residential care facilities, representing 0.6% of the U.S. population. And yet residents in such facilities account for 42 percent of all deaths from COVID-19, for states that report such statistics. (As of May 22)

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    Recent stat: According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2.1 million people live in nursing homes or residential care facilities, representing 0.6% of the U.S. population. And yet residents in such facilities account for 42 percent of all deaths from COVID-19, for states that report such statistics. (As of May 22)
    Yes. They are known to be more susceptible.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Yes. They are known to be more susceptible.
    I know but the disproportionality is still astounding.