Register now to remove this ad

Page 15 of 310 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Non Political Thread

Legend
    BTW...one thing I found useful: how to disinfect things conveniently. Apparently this virus is not so tough when subjected to a dilute bleach (think Chlorox) solution. You can mix up a quart (32oz) of water and add four tsp of bleach and put it in a spray bottle to disinfect packages or whatever.

You can also put your cardboard packages in a safe place for 24 hours wash your hands, and leave them alone for 24 hours. Viable Coronavirus can't be detected on cardboard after 24 hours. I did that with a couple of cases of wine I ordered.
    Last edited by FredLynn; 04-04-2020 at 12:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    No. Because it gets viral.

The first post might not be political, but that opens the door for responses. Pretty soon the entire thread is infected with political invective.

Like Paul Simon already sang to you “You’re on the wrong thread, Fred.”

You might not listen to me, but how can you ignore Paul Simon?
    ^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    Yeah....and where has Jacko been? I know he has his hands full, but usually he has time to post here occasionally. Hopefully he is OK.
    I imagine his two biggest activities are being swamped at work and sleeping to rest up for his next shift of being swamped at work...

Deity
    BTW...one thing I found useful: how to disinfect things conveniently. Apparently this virus is not so tough when subjected to a dilute bleach (think Chlorox) solution. You can mix up a quart (32oz) of water and add four tsp of bleach and put it in a spray bottle to disinfect packages or whatever.

You can also put your cardboard packages in a safe place for 24 hours wash your hands, and leave them alone for 24 hours. Viable Coronavirus can't be detected on cardboard after 24 hours. I did that with a couple of cases of wine I ordered.

Yeah I find letting stuff sit for a while has to be a good thing.

But I can’t help but wonder how long it can survive on a plastic milk jug in a refrigerator...

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    In CT, we are now being told that the peak will be in 2-3 weeks for Fairfield County, which is the county closest to NYC that has been hit the hardest, early May for the other hard hit areas, and then mid May for the rest of the state, where things haven't been as bad. Last night, I had a little bit of a breakdown, both mentally and emotionally. Things always get better. That's how life works. That's the most important thing, but I had so many fun things planned for the rest of the year. I just want to know what I will still have to look forward to. The uncertainty of everything is what is starting to get to me. Everyone gives these projections, but deep down, nobody knows.
    Thunder , Hang in there. Be patient. There is a lot of uncertainty with this demon virus . The projections are useful in that they give you some picture of an end in sight . But they may be revised. Think of it as a workout. The instructor says " give me ten reps . " When you do , he says " come on , two more ." You can do it .

OK guys...I get it. I think I made my point anyway.
    Lets get off the topic of the response of leadership to the crisis.
    There's another whole thread to discuss leadership response, which is inherently a POLITICAL DISCUSSION!
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Not about you. Think of yourself as an asymptomatic carrier. Sure you show no signs of political non-partisanship, but what about the ones who read your post?
    Political arguments can become toxic , now more than ever . Even before this , in my family anyone who starts anything political is immediately told to knock it off . It works . For those who actually enjoy those repetitive and redundant debates , there are hundreds of web sites and blogs available. No need for it here.

In CT, we are now being told that the peak will be in 2-3 weeks for Fairfield County, which is the county closest to NYC that has been hit the hardest, early May for the other hard hit areas, and then mid May for the rest of the state, where things haven't been as bad. Last night, I had a little bit of a breakdown, both mentally and emotionally. Things always get better. That's how life works. That's the most important thing, but I had so many fun things planned for the rest of the year. I just want to know what I will still have to look forward to. The uncertainty of everything is what is starting to get to me. Everyone gives these projections, but deep down, nobody knows.
    People can handle just about anything except uncertainty. We can be certain that this will end, and life without fear of COVID19 will return.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Thunder , Hang in there. Be patient. There is a lot of uncertainty with this demon virus . The projections are useful in that they give you some picture of an end in sight . But they may be revised. Think of it as a workout. The instructor says " give me ten reps . " When you do , he says " come on , two more ." You can do it .
    Appreciate it. That workout analogy really helped. It's something I can relate to.

People can handle just about anything except uncertainty. We can be certain that this will end, and life without fear of COVID19 will return.
    Yeah, that's the mindset I've been trying to have this entire time, I just lost sight of that last night. I'm such a long term planner. I was doing a good job of taking it one day at a time. When I've done that, I've been ok
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Legend
    Yeah I find letting stuff sit for a while has to be a good thing.

But I can’t help but wonder how long it can survive on a plastic milk jug in a refrigerator...
    It can live for quite a while on stainless steel and plastic. Below is a study from the New England Journal of Medicine. If you are in doubt, it wouldn't hurt to spray whatever you are concerned about with the dilute bleach solution (above), let it sit for an hour or two, then wash it off.

"SARS-CoV-2 was more stable on plastic and stainless steel than on copper and cardboard, and viable virus was detected up to 72 hours after application to these surfaces (Figure 1A), although the virus titer was greatly reduced (from 103.7 to 100.6 TCID50 per milliliter of medium after 72 hours on plastic and from 103.7 to 100.6 TCID50 per milliliter after 48 hours on stainless steel). The stability kinetics of SARS-CoV-1 were similar (from 103.4 to 100.7 TCID50 per milliliter after 72 hours on plastic and from 103.6 to 100.6 TCID50 per milliliter after 48 hours on stainless steel). On copper, no viable SARS-CoV-2 was measured after 4 hours and no viable SARS-CoV-1 was measured after 8 hours. On cardboard, no viable SARS-CoV-2 was measured after 24 hours and no viable SARS-CoV-1 was measured after 8 hours (Figure 1A)."

Legend
    One other thing: the better cardiovascular shape you are in, should you catch it, its likely the better the chances you will survive it. This is your opportunity to start the aerobics program you have all been wanting to start.....jogging or even fast walking to get your HR up works. You don't need a lot of equipment. Also, aerobic exercise is great for just getting centered. I have a Cybex 6000 arc trainer in my home (its an elliptical) which I use 5-6 days a week.
    Last edited by FredLynn; 04-04-2020 at 01:13 PM.

Appreciate it. That workout analogy really helped. It's something I can relate to.

Yeah, that's the mindset I've been trying to have this entire time, I just lost sight of that last night. I'm such a long term planner. I was doing a good job of taking it one day at a time. When I've done that, I've been ok
    It's easy to get discouraged. The other day I woke up and the first words out of my mouth were: "I can't believe that we have at least 4 more weeks of this BS." That will probably not be the last bad day I will have before this ends. It was disheartening that my wife and I had to cancel a vacation to the Carolinas at the beginning of April. I am grateful that I got in my Spring Training trip at the end of February. Dewey and I had fun watching the games. That was a lot of fun, and my biggest irritation at the time was that Bloom had a three man rotation. That still bothers me. LOL! But now it is not my biggest worry.
    Last edited by a700hitter; 04-04-2020 at 01:07 PM.

One other thing: the better cardiovascular shape you are in, should you catch it, its likely the better the chances you will survive it. This is your opportunity to start the aerobics program you have all been wanting to start.....jogging or even fast walking to get your HR up works. You don't need a lot of equipment. Also, aerobic exercise is great for just getting centered. I have a Cybex 6000 arc trainer in my home (its an elliptical) which I use 5-6 days a week.
    So I take it 3-5 mile runs 3 times a week work just fine, as well everything else I'm doing
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Political arguments can become toxic , now more than ever . Even before this , in my family anyone who starts anything political is immediately told to knock it off . It works . For those who actually enjoy those repetitive and redundant debates , there are hundreds of web sites and blogs available. No need for it here.
    Yeah that’s what I was trying. Also the Paul Simon joke did amuse me...

Legend
    So I take it 3-5 mile runs 3 times a week work just fine, as well everything else I'm doing
    The American Heart Association recommends at least 150 minutes of moderate intensity physical activity a week. That breaks down to at least 30 minutes per day, five times a week. You can shorten that time by exercising more vigorously: The alternate recommendation is at least 75 minutes of vigorous exercise per week.

Moderate exercise intensity: 50% to about 70% of your maximum heart rate
    Vigorous exercise intensity: 70% to about 85% of your maximum heart rate
    And your maximum HR can be calculated, roughly, by subtracting your age from 220.

From what I read more exercise is even better (I am talking about aerobic exercise only)-up to a point. When your body doesn't have time to recover between workouts thats probably too much exercise (IMO). Also, there are (also IMO) three components to being in shape: aerobic capacity (the most important), strength, and flexibility.