Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 29 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Total baloney thread.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Funny you should mention that. That's exactly the part of the country I'm targeting. I really love Ohio, particularly Cincinnati when I was there with UConn in November. I'm also high on Austin (yes, I know you live there), Atlanta, and Nashville, although I haven't been to Nashville. My sister-in-law grew up there and her father used to be a dean at Vanderbilt
    Also, just because, you should try Honolulu.

Funny you should mention that. That's exactly the part of the country I'm targeting. I really love Ohio, particularly Cincinnati when I was there with UConn in November. I'm also high on Austin (yes, I know you live there), Atlanta, and Nashville, although I haven't been to Nashville. My sister-in-law grew up there and her father used to be a dean at Vanderbilt
    Seriously. Move to Austin over the other ones. You'd thrive here and it would expand your world more than the other ones. Plus....... BUY ME A TACO WHYDONTCHA
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Also, just because, you should try Honolulu.
    I've been trying to move to Hawaii my entire life. It's not easy as far as jobs and logistics
    In our yellow submarine

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    I've been trying to move to Hawaii my entire life. It's not easy as far as jobs and logistics
    The easiest job in the world is held by Ben Gutierrez, the local weatherman. All he does is say "85 and sunny" every single fucking day and then goes back home and cashes his checks. I hate him.

Yeah as an engineer, there is not much for me in Hawaii. You need to be involved in the tourism industry in some capacity...

Deity
    Although funny story along those lines, my wife fell in love with Hawai after we visitied some 15 years ago. So, as teacher, she decided to investigate moving there. They need teachers in Hawaii, right?

She made a call without having any idea of who to even contact, and received a job offer sight unseen on the phone.. No interview. No in-person meeting. Not even an attempt to verify my wife was actually a teacher. "I'd like to find out about teaching jobs in Hawaii?" "Welcome aboard! you start next month!" It was honestly like that.

Of course the pay they offered was so low that, coupled with the cost of living, homeless people would have been giving us money...

Although funny story along those lines, my wife fell in love with Hawai after we visitied some 15 years ago. So, as teacher, she decided to investigate moving there. They need teachers in Hawaii, right?

She made a call without having any idea of who to even contact, and received a job offer sight unseen on the phone.. No interview. No in-person meeting. Not even an attempt to verify my wife was actually a teacher. "I'd like to find out about teaching jobs in Hawaii?" "Welcome aboard! you start next month!" It was honestly like that.

Of course the pay they offered was so low that, coupled with the cost of living, homeless people would have been giving us money...
    Interesting. Maybe an English language teaching course?
    In our yellow submarine

Seriously. Move to Austin over the other ones. You'd thrive here and it would expand your world more than the other ones. Plus....... BUY ME A TACO WHYDONTCHA
    I love the Texas culture, and I love the Austin culture, but my heart is in Houston. But, Austin and Houston are my two favorites, so it's a toss up at this point. Hoping I will still be able to go to the UT football game for my birthday in October
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Deity
    Interesting. Maybe an English language teaching course?
    Oh I doubt you need actual courses or teaching experience. Or even clue how to teach.

The question is, can you pay your Honolulu rent on $35,000 a year and still afford to eat something besides the urchins you pull out of the morning tide?
    Last edited by notin; 04-22-2020 at 09:55 AM.

I love the Texas culture, and I love the Austin culture, but my heart is in Houston. But, Austin and Houston are my two favorites, so it's a toss up at this point. Hoping I will still be able to go to the UT football game for my birthday in October
    You wont hear this from many people, BUT HOUSTON IS AWESOME. You'd have a great time there also.

I only say move here cause it's probably so different from what you know. I think that makes for a great learning experience. The further away from your normal and comfort level always, for me at least, made me learn and grow.
    In our yellow submarine

You wont hear this from many people, BUT HOUSTON IS AWESOME. You'd have a great time there also.

I only say move here cause it's probably so different from what you know. I think that makes for a great learning experience. The further away from your normal and comfort level always, for me at least, made me learn and grow.
    I agree. It's scary at first, but I feel it would be well worth it. I'm a huge proponent of keeping Austin weird
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

I agree. It's scary at first, but I feel it would be well worth it. I'm a huge proponent of keeping Austin weird
    The first move is scary. The second is a bit scary. Then moving around becomes an exciting challenge that you look forward to.
    In our yellow submarine

Deity
    The first move is scary. The second is a bit scary. Then moving around becomes an exciting challenge that you look forward to.
    My advice is simple: If you must move, always move west.

It is much easier to get used to getting up an hour later than an hour earlier...

My advice is simple: If you must move, always move west.

It is much easier to get used to getting up an hour later than an hour earlier...
    I always looked at it as the two weeks of vacation our US companies generously provide limits the ability to see the world. And you really never know a place unless you lived there, shopped in the local stores and navigated the place for at least three months.
    In our yellow submarine

Going to be a rainy day here in Austin. Most times I really love the rain. Fired up the heater to the pool, I'm going swimming all day.

Ran out of eggs, bread, and cereal as of two days ago. Not sure what to eat for breakfast. The wife's answer to that is always rice.
    Rice has been one of the harder things to find in my area.

The easiest job in the world is held by Ben Gutierrez, the local weatherman. All he does is say "85 and sunny" every single fucking day and then goes back home and cashes his checks. I hate him.

Yeah as an engineer, there is not much for me in Hawaii. You need to be involved in the tourism industry in some capacity...
    I'm not sure I would like living in Hawaii. Yes, I love warm, sunny weather and beaches, but I also love the change of seasons. I don't think I'd like having 85 and sunny all year long.