Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gardening, Landscaping, Plants and Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    I just finished planting my vegetable garden. I have two raised bed planters that are 6x16 and two that are 6x12. I have tomatoes, of course, basil, cucumbers, spaghetti squash, zucchini squash, butternut squash, onions, beets, bell peppers, eggplant of four different types, habanero peppers, and thyme. My neighbors love me during the summer because is much more than we can eat here.
    We did some tomatoes, strawberries and carolina reapers in our raised bed this year. Much harder to garden in FL than the northeast.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

We’ve always had lots of edible plants in our yards.

In MA, we had black raspberries, red raspberries, strawberries, blueberries and a small garden. My son spent his toddler days deforesting our strawberry hill and ruining all his clothes with berry stains. As he got older, he would make “tomato and basil burritos” which were just cheery tomatoes wrapped in basil.

With our herb planting for butterflies, he’s now just constantly chewing on fennel, marjoram, tarragon and mint.

Other stuff we have in our current yard:
    Pink porterweed
    Yellow shrimp plants
    Numerous bromeliads (favorite is the blue tango)
    Heliconia (some lobster claw variety)
    Plumbago
    A humongous stag horn fern that is on one of our two sand oaks
    Shasta daisies
    Crotons
    Lirope
    Lemongrass
    Various palms (coconut, majestic, anderson)
    Ixora
    A 30 year old bougainvillea
    Bamboo (clumping kind only)
    Banana tree
    Pineapple
    Cat whiskers
    Orange jasmine
    Gardenia
    Amaryllis
    And 2 baby mangrove trees that we are fostering for the Miami Zoo

Going to pot some plumeria trimmings we got from the tree my father in law cut down earlier this year. You just cut the branches, put them in bucket of water and wait for the roots to grow.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    I just finished planting my vegetable garden. I have two raised bed planters that are 6x16 and two that are 6x12. I have tomatoes, of course, basil, cucumbers, spaghetti squash, zucchini squash, butternut squash, onions, beets, bell peppers, eggplant of four different types, habanero peppers, and thyme. My neighbors love me during the summer because is much more than we can eat here.
    That sounds awesome! I have never done a vegetable garden, outside of a couple of tomato plants one year. I love fresh vegetables, but I don't have the interest or desire to do a vegetable garden. Luckily for me, I have a nice lady down the street who supplies me with fresh veggies every summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    That sounds awesome! I have never done a vegetable garden, outside of a couple of tomato plants one year. I love fresh vegetables, but I don't have the interest or desire to do a vegetable garden. Luckily for me, I have a nice lady down the street who supplies me with fresh veggies every summer.
    Our neighbors have mango and avocado trees that we can pick from. I’m not a big fan of either but my kids love them. (Guac is fine, I just don’t like plain avocado)

Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    I've always been into plants, but until a couple years back I've only had small apartments so I only grew a few plants in pots.

Now that I have a yard, and now that I'm stuck at home, I've really taken to gardening and working on my plants. I know so little.

I think the hobby is incredible. There is so much to it you could never know it all and never not be challenged. Just to list a few variables you need to consider would be soil, soil composition, climate, heat, weather, watering, fertilizing, insects and other things that want your plants, making plants flower or fruit, visual appeal as far as the plant and also in the landscape, pots, pot plants, and tons more. It's a super hobby.

I'm currently trying to propagate jasmine plants from cuttings which I have never done. I want to learn how to get more plants from the plants I have. I also cook lots of Asian food so growing herbs used in cooking is a big focus of mine I'm learning about.

Cheers.
    I love flowers. They are one of my favorite things in the world. Just looking at pictures of flowers brightens my mood. That said, I am not much into the gardening aspect of it. I don't get into all of the stuff that you mentioned above. Basically, I go to the garden shop, and buy whatever flowers appeal to me, plant them and water them when necessary. I often don't even know the names of the flowers. In other words, gardening is not a hobby for me. I do it just to have the flowers.

Most of my 'gardening' involves my front porch. I have 6 hooks for hanging flower pots, and 5 big planters that attach to my porch railing.

I have many flowering bushes around the front and sides of my house. I have tulips and lilies planted around my trees. I have some flowers in my flower beds that are not perennials, but they return every year, I guess from dropped seeds.

All of my stuff is very low maintenance. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Our neighbors have mango and avocado trees that we can pick from. I’m not a big fan of either but my kids love them. (Guac is fine, I just don’t like plain avocado)
    Nice! It's always great when someone can hook you up with fresh fruits and veggies. Nothing better.

Also, your son is still awesome! Make sure he doesn't eat anything poisonous!

I've seen a couple of pictures posted. I am interested in seeing more pictures of the flowers that you're planting. It might give me some ideas.

Anyone find cucumbers is a crap shoot. Maybe it’s just our weather here. Last year they didn’t come up worth shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Nice! It's always great when someone can hook you up with fresh fruits and veggies. Nothing better.

Also, your son is still awesome! Make sure he doesn't eat anything poisonous!
    We have ripped out most of the poisonous plants. He’s really interested in landscaping and plants so he knows what not to mess with.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    Anyone find cucumbers is a crap shoot. Maybe it’s just our weather here. Last year they didn’t come up worth shit.
    Always found that they grow crazy if next to a chain link fence.

Legend
    You're out in California right? Where abouts?

My wife tied to grow tomatoes last year. I told her. If you grow things that other things like to eat, it becomes a war between the grower and the things that like to eat the things you want to grow. Every time a tomato came close to us picking it and eating it, it was gone the day before.

I blame the FUCKING squirrels.
    I live in Marin County, just north of San Francisco by about 30 minutes. I have heard of problems with squirrels, but I have never had any problems with them. Maybe it’s because I have an 8 foot fence surrounding my garden to protect it from deer.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    We did some tomatoes, strawberries and carolina reapers in our raised bed this year. Much harder to garden in FL than the northeast.
    Carolina Reapers???? You're a sick man. What do you intend to do with those things?
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

Carolina Reapers???? You're a sick man. What do you intend to do with those things?
    Veggie burger and taco toppings.