Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gardening, Landscaping, Plants and Stuff

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Going to pot some plumeria trimmings we got from the tree my father in law cut down earlier this year. You just cut the branches, put them in bucket of water and wait for the roots to grow.
    95FDA9BC-E4C4-449D-BCA8-6ABB41A30007.jpg

Plumeria variety from my yard.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Veggie burger and taco toppings.
    LOL. Damn, you don't mess around.

Here is what you want to do with those mangos. Thank me later.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...th-mango-12066
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

95FDA9BC-E4C4-449D-BCA8-6ABB41A30007.jpg

Plumeria variety from my yard.
    What growing zone are you in? I think I'm probably close to yours. I think we are 8b. I may try to grow some of the stuff you are posting about.
    In our yellow submarine

Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    What growing zone are you in? I think I'm probably close to yours. I think we are 8b. I may try to grow some of the stuff you are posting about.
    This area used to be 10, but is now 11 due to climate change. The coldest it got this winter was mid 40’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I love flowers. They are one of my favorite things in the world. Just looking at pictures of flowers brightens my mood. That said, I am not much into the gardening aspect of it. I don't get into all of the stuff that you mentioned above. Basically, I go to the garden shop, and buy whatever flowers appeal to me, plant them and water them when necessary. I often don't even know the names of the flowers. In other words, gardening is not a hobby for me. I do it just to have the flowers.

Most of my 'gardening' involves my front porch. I have 6 hooks for hanging flower pots, and 5 big planters that attach to my porch railing.

I have many flowering bushes around the front and sides of my house. I have tulips and lilies planted around my trees. I have some flowers in my flower beds that are not perennials, but they return every year, I guess from dropped seeds.

All of my stuff is very low maintenance. LOL
    I'm with you. Plant in general just make me happy. And flowers especially. There are so many levels you can take gardening, and they are all good. I think for a hobby it's one of the healthy ones you could choose, especially for the spirit and mind. I mean, have you ever seen a pissed off Japanese bonsai tree guy, I haven't.
    In our yellow submarine

This area used to be 10, but is now 11 due to climate change. The coldest it got this winter was mid 40’s.
    Tropical. You're lucky. We get about two or three times a year where it just barely gets to freeze. And like I did the year before you can loose any plant that way. I went through a major song and dance trying to protect my plants this year from those days, and sure enough, we never got one. Thank you global warming.
    In our yellow submarine

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    That sounds awesome! I have never done a vegetable garden, outside of a couple of tomato plants one year. I love fresh vegetables, but I don't have the interest or desire to do a vegetable garden. Luckily for me, I have a nice lady down the street who supplies me with fresh veggies every summer.
    Its very "zen" to work in the garden and see things grow. Its all on a drip system so once the planting is done its pretty much on autopilot. When I want some veges for dinner I just step outside and see whats ripe. Planting is in early May (now) and it takes about a week to set everything up. I have 23 tomato plants of different varieties this year. I make my own tomato sauce once they start ripening. The tomatoes you get in the store are tasteless and bland; they are bred for travel and not to spoil, not for taste. Totally different.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    Its very "zen" to work in the garden and see things grow. Its all on a drip system so once the planting is done its pretty much on autopilot. When I want some veges for dinner I just step outside and see whats ripe. Planting is in early May (now) and it takes about a week to set everything up. I have 23 tomato plants of different varieties this year. I make my own tomato sauce once they start ripening. The tomatoes you get in the store are tasteless and bland; they are bred for travel and not to spoil, not for taste. Totally different.
    Tomatoes in the stores now a days are total junk. It's hard on me growing up in a Mediterranean house hold who needs tomatoes to have a taste other than wax.
    In our yellow submarine

Always found that they grow crazy if next to a chain link fence.
    Hmmm perhaps that’s why my mom has so many!!

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    Tomatoes in the stores now a days are total junk. It's hard on me growing up in a Mediterranean house hold who needs tomatoes to have a taste other than wax.
    Grow your own! Not sure where you live but wherever it is I bet you could grow some

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    Hmmm perhaps that’s why my mom has so many!!
    They need a tomato cage. The best ones I have found are called "Texas Tomato Cages". Really sturdy. My plants usually are taller than me, and I am over six feet tall.

Grow your own! Not sure where you live but wherever it is I bet you could grow some
    Fresh tomatoes from a farm or your backyard are the only way to go. A farmer I worked with said the grocery store tomatoes are picked before they are truly ripe and stored in a warehouse where they may turn red due to added chemicals. They never ripen after being taken off the vine though. They just stay white in the middle and have no flavor.

They need a tomato cage. The best ones I have found are called "Texas Tomato Cages". Really sturdy. My plants usually are taller than me, and I am over six feet tall.
    That’s good advice. I’ll try that this year. Ours have sucked for years.

Also if anyone wants to send fresh grown beets my way. I won’t be against that.

We have ripped out most of the poisonous plants. He’s really interested in landscaping and plants so he knows what not to mess with.
    And that is why he is so awesome.

I have this oleander tree in the corner of my yard. I've heard it's poisonous. I've made an agreement with it, it can look super cool and flower and stuff, and I won't go near it.
    In our yellow submarine