Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gardening, Landscaping, Plants and Stuff

Gardening, Landscaping, Plants and Stuff

I've always been into plants, but until a couple years back I've only had small apartments so I only grew a few plants in pots.

Now that I have a yard, and now that I'm stuck at home, I've really taken to gardening and working on my plants. I know so little.

I think the hobby is incredible. There is so much to it you could never know it all and never not be challenged. Just to list a few variables you need to consider would be soil, soil composition, climate, heat, weather, watering, fertilizing, insects and other things that want your plants, making plants flower or fruit, visual appeal as far as the plant and also in the landscape, pots, pot plants, and tons more. It's a super hobby.

I'm currently trying to propagate jasmine plants from cuttings which I have never done. I want to learn how to get more plants from the plants I have. I also cook lots of Asian food so growing herbs used in cooking is a big focus of mine I'm learning about.

Cheers.
    In the town where I was born
    Lived a man who sailed to sea
    And he told us of his life
    In the land of submarines
    So we sailed up to the sun
    'Til we found a sea of green
    And we lived beneath the waves
    In our yellow submarine

I'd be interested to hear what native plants grow well in your area, as opposed to mine (being Central Texas, zone 8B I think).
    In our yellow submarine

Just built a butterfly garden:

Cassia
    Herbs (many are host plants)
    Pentas
    Lantana
    Butterfly bushes of all kinda
    Milkweed
    Passion vine

We’ve already seen the complete life cycle of monarchs, some zebra longwing, gulf fritillary and some swallow tail.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

The problem in So FL Is that most plants are no longer native and it’s really hard to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post

Cassia
    Pentas
    Lantana
    Milkweed
    Passion vine

We’ve already seen the complete life cycle of monarchs, some zebra longwing, gulf fritillary and some swallow tail.
    That's super cool you got to watch monarchs grow, along with the other ones. They are striking how beautiful they are. Not sure what type we have here, but they are amazing.

Lantana is one that grows here well, I have a few in the ground a two in pots. My neighbors have many bushes of lantana that are doing WAY better than mine.
    In our yellow submarine

The problem in So FL Is that most plants are no longer native and it’s really hard to find them.
    Do you have many nurseries in your area? We have quite a few and the people that work there are super knowledgeable. I've also hooked up on a facebook page that is for central Texas gardening, many of those people know their stuff. I bet there is one for your area.
    In our yellow submarine

Cassia
    Pentas
    Lantana
    Milkweed
    Passion vine

Ok, Cassia and Pentas are nice. But DANG, Passion vine has some crazy amazing looking flowers.this this.jpg
    In our yellow submarine

We live in a super cold climate. Saskatchewan and get around -50 with the wind. Our summers get very hot, but our garden time usually only last about 4 months. It’s depressing haha.

My wife has a small garden in the front where she grows nice flowers. She has bleeding hearts that come up every year. My mom on the other hand grows everything vegetable related. Some years they grow nice and some years they are terrible. Last year she grew beets and pickled them. They were absolutely delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    Do you have many nurseries in your area? We have quite a few and the people that work there are super knowledgeable. I've also hooked up on a facebook page that is for central Texas gardening, many of those people know their stuff. I bet there is one for your area.
    We have nurseries, but there is not a lot stock for actual native plants. There just isn’t a huge demand in the land of manicured HOA front yards of aging boomers.

We have nurseries, but there is not a lot stock for actual native plants. There just isn’t a huge demand in the land of manicured HOA front yards of aging boomers.
    I find that sad a bit. The more I get into gardening the more I am drawn to native plants. They may not be as spectacular, but they have become my pride of my landscaping and the plants I like seeing grow the most. And usually with the least of assistance.
    In our yellow submarine

Oxalis is almost a weed here. But a neighbor gave me a few starter pods last year. I planted them in a pot, thought they were dead for about 5 months, now they are my favorite plant.

https://www.google.com/search?q=oxal...w=1093&bih=461
    In our yellow submarine

Quote Originally Posted by TylerD View Post
    We live in a super cold climate. Saskatchewan and get around -50 with the wind. Our summers get very hot, but our garden time usually only last about 4 months. It’s depressing haha.

My wife has a small garden in the front where she grows nice flowers. She has bleeding hearts that come up every year. My mom on the other hand grows everything vegetable related. Some years they grow nice and some years they are terrible. Last year she grew beets and pickled them. They were absolutely delicious.
    Bleeding Hearts are insane! I've never heard of or seen those before.

https://www.google.com/search?q=blee...w=1093&bih=461
    In our yellow submarine

Legend
    I just finished planting my vegetable garden. I have two raised bed planters that are 6x16 and two that are 6x12. I have tomatoes, of course, basil, cucumbers, spaghetti squash, zucchini squash, butternut squash, onions, beets, bell peppers, eggplant of four different types, habanero peppers, and thyme. My neighbors love me during the summer because is much more than we can eat here.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    I just finished planting my vegetable garden. I have two raised bed planters that are 6x16 and two that are 6x12. I have tomatoes, of course, basil, cucumbers, spaghetti squash, zucchini squash, butternut squash, onions, beets, bell peppers, eggplant of four different types, habanero peppers, and thyme. My neighbors love me during the summer because is much more than we can eat here.
    You're out in California right? Where abouts?

My wife tied to grow tomatoes last year. I told her. If you grow things that other things like to eat, it becomes a war between the grower and the things that like to eat the things you want to grow. Every time a tomato came close to us picking it and eating it, it was gone the day before.

I blame the FUCKING squirrels.
    In our yellow submarine

Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    Bleeding Hearts are insane! I've never heard of or seen those before.

https://www.google.com/search?q=blee...w=1093&bih=461
    We had the northern bleeding hearts in MA. In FL, we have a bleeding heart vine, which is white and red with much darker leaves. It’s perennial and doesn’t stop growing all year.