Register now to remove this ad

Page 299 of 644 FirstFirst ... 199249289297298299300301309349399 ... LastLast
Results 4,471 to 4,485 of 9648

Thread: COVID - Anything goes

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    Believe it or not, I was a history teacher for many many years. I did everything that I could to open minds and hearts to all of the conflictions that we are faced with. Every society has its warts for sure but personally for me it was all about appreciating what happened and attempting to learn from it going forward. The weirdos of the world are sincerely attempting to relive the past.
    The musical 1776 was on this afternoon. It is a fun musical with an interesting historical message.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    So just saying that if you think that I am a rightest then you are a horse's ass. Now, I think that you are intelligent so i'm guessing that since you do read my posts that that is a long way from the truth. But i do think that it depends upon what qualifies as right wing in your world. I do not like Donald trump but i am an incredibly proud American. The recent spastic movements of late which would include black lives matter, have no bearing with me. I do not have a racist or bigoted bone in my body or at least I didn't think that I did. The fact of the matter is though that I have no sympathy for the people attempting to destroy everything in their path because they think that their ancestors might have been mistreated. Bullshit. I feel absolutely no obligation to make amends for the sins of history passed. The constant democratic party's appeasement of these "creeps" who are attempting to destroy this country is not really very appealing to me. I just attended one of the most patriotic American celebrations that I think that I could and once again I have to say that I am a proud American. Now i truly realize what comes next so let me say that we all have a story. You do not know mine. I'm watching all of these pukes across this great land claiming that their rights have been violated and that i am some how responsible for the past and I say, like I'm guessing much of real America is saying, screw you. Now, I'm almost done. changing the name of Yawkey Way back to Jersey street was a great injustice to all that the Yawkey family has done for so many minority groups. Sadly i think that this opinion will mirror much of what the silent voices are feeling. We like the police - we do not like people who come here illegally and expect something for nothing - we do not like big government trying to steal more of we are entitled to. The democratic party currently has nothing that appeals to me. Sorry notin really but this is just me venting. We live in a wonderful country and many of us are not willing to see it destroyed.
    I agree with this part. I like the police too...if I ever need them I am glad some horses ass didn't eliminate the police force. That said, I think that there are some bad elements in the force, and its very difficult to weed them out permanently. Many times they get fired but rehired by another department. That has to go. I also do not like illegal immigration: wait in line if you want to get into this country. Cutting in line to get in illegally needs to be dealt with harshly-no benefits, no medical care, deportation. Meanwhile, lets come up with a logical way to deal with immigrants who are necessary for our economy to function. As far as Black Lives Matter....I am all for equal opportunity. Unfortunately, systemic racism still exists, and kids in black families too often start out on an unequal footing to white kids. Thats not right. That has to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    I agree with this part. I like the police too...if I ever need them I am glad some horses ass didn't eliminate the police force. That said, I think that there are some bad elements in the force, and its very difficult to weed them out permanently. Many times they get fired but rehired by another department. That has to go. I also do not like illegal immigration: wait in line if you want to get into this country. Cutting in line to get in illegally needs to be dealt with harshly-no benefits, no medical care, deportation. Meanwhile, lets come up with a logical way to deal with immigrants who are necessary for our economy to function. As far as Black Lives Matter....I am all for equal opportunity. Unfortunately, systemic racism still exists, and kids in black families too often start out on an unequal footing to white kids. Thats not right. That has to be addressed.
    70% of African American children grow up in one parent homes. How do you fix that?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedballgame View Post
    70% of African American children grow up in one parent homes. How do you fix that?
    If that statistic is true then I suspect that its not particularly fixable...at least I have no idea how to do that. However, maternal education DOES correlate with better test scores in kids. Its possible that the way to address the disadvantage black kids have is by educating their mothers, or at least making that education available via providing free education through the community college level. If I had the answers I would have run for office. I can see the problem, but I can only guess at the solutions.

If that statistic is true then I suspect that its not particularly fixable...at least I have no idea how to do that. However, maternal education DOES correlate with better test scores in kids. Its possible that the way to address the disadvantage black kids have is by educating their mothers, or at least making that education available via providing free education through the community college level. If I had the answers I would have run for office. I can see the problem, but I can only guess at the solutions.
    Kids from two parent homes have the best chance statistically to succeed.

Legend
    I understand that. But I don't think that we can force two people to stay married-or to marry in the first place. Assuming that is correct we need to find another way to make both black and white kids (and brown kids) start off on equal footing. Perhaps its through giving them an equal opportunity to get a basic education. I am not in favor of holding their hands once they are out on their own. But at least lets give them an equal chance to make something of themselves. Right now minorities are starting the race of life a step or two behind white kids. Thats not right.

Maybe one helpful idea might be to stop throwing black dads in jail for crimes whites don't go to jail for or for much less time, if they do.

Maybe help them buy homes, instead of making it harder. Maybe stop taking their land away, although this is not done as much as in the past, when many blacks had faulty deeds or no deeds at all after generations of owning certain lands.

Then, there is job discrimination and difficulty finding jobs after being in prison or having no resume to speak of.

Rampant poverty and higher disease rates- many times linked to only being able to afford housing in the shadows of smokestacks and unregulated factories spewing pollution every which way they can get away with. So many black people have medical condition not caused by genetic differences. It's from years and years of having less and worse of a long list of things.

As for immigration, there is no "line" to get into anymore. It would be one thing, if we expanded legal entry with enhanced vetting and verification, but we've been cutting those numbers, too. I'm not for open borders in any way, but I'm also not for just allowing rich people from Europe or even richer people from Latin America as the only ones allowed in. There are so many people in this world who need help. They are good people. We used to let those people in. Our history shows there was almost always push back by some on the Irish, the Italians, the Catholics, the Germans, the Asians and on and on, but we became a great country by letting many different types of people in, especially those seeking a better life- not those who already had a great or decent life only.

I'm not trying to point fingers at anyone, but many people in our society- not just the blacks and lower class people have had a hard time trying to pull themselves out of their situation. Not all of it has to do with institutional or systemic racism, but when you already are starting way behind everyone else, it doesn't help.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    The musical 1776 was on this afternoon. It is a fun musical with an interesting historical message.
    The attributes ascribed to John Adams in that show might well apply to several posters here.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Maybe one helpful idea might be to stop throwing black dads in jail for crimes whites don't go to jail for or for much less time, if they do.

Maybe help them buy homes, instead of making it harder. Maybe stop taking their land away, although this is not done as much as in the past, when many blacks had faulty deeds or no deeds at all after generations of owning certain lands.

Then, there is job discrimination and difficulty finding jobs after being in prison or having no resume to speak of.

Rampant poverty and higher disease rates- many times linked to only being able to afford housing in the shadows of smokestacks and unregulated factories spewing pollution every which way they can get away with. So many black people have medical condition not caused by genetic differences. It's from years and years of having less and worse of a long list of things.

As for immigration, there is no "line" to get into anymore. It would be one thing, if we expanded legal entry with enhanced vetting and verification, but we've been cutting those numbers, too. I'm not for open borders in any way, but I'm also not for just allowing rich people from Europe or even richer people from Latin America as the only ones allowed in. There are so many people in this world who need help. They are good people. We used to let those people in. Our history shows there was almost always push back by some on the Irish, the Italians, the Catholics, the Germans, the Asians and on and on, but we became a great country by letting many different types of people in, especially those seeking a better life- not those who already had a great or decent life only.

I'm not trying to point fingers at anyone, but many people in our society- not just the blacks and lower class people have had a hard time trying to pull themselves out of their situation. Not all of it has to do with institutional or systemic racism, but when you already are starting way behind everyone else, it doesn't help.
    While I truly believe that you are sincere in what you say, I can't help feeling that you are completely enmeshed in what many see as the problem.

When you and yours seek to tell an entire race of people that THEY are the penultimate VICTIMS, above ALL OTHERS in history, I honestly see THAT as the penultimate problem.

From personal experience .... have you ever found it helpful to AN INDIVIDUAL to beat into their head that THEY ARE a helpless victim?

The answer is NO! When I was in the Classroom, I NEVER allowed a single student to buy into the notion that they were a victim, and that somebody else controlled their destiny! EVER! In fact, I explicitly taught disadvantaged youths that "NO MATTER THEIR BACKGROUND, FAMILY, DISADVANTAGES, RACE, COLOR, CREED, GENDER, or any other difficult situation they were in, that..... IF THEY WERE WILLING TO work their asses off, they WOULD BE successful in life. That they, and they alone were the masters of their own destiny!

NO GOOD PARENT EVER TEACHES THEIR CHILD THAT THEY ARE A VICTIM, and all the decks of cards they ever play are all stacked against them!

NO RESPONSIBLE PARENT EVER does this! Unless you are on drugs, you intuitively know that you would be setting your child up for a life of bitterness, resentment, anger, and finally apathy. If everyone tells you that you are a victim, and no matter how hard you work, the system is rigged against you, WHAT THE FUCK IS LIKELY TI HAPPEN to that child? This is "the soft & inherent racism of low expectations. It never helps anybody, and it most often leads to resentment, anger, and failure.

NO GOOD PARENT would ever tell their kids this, and I honestly believe we have a political Party and most of the msm committed to pushing this lie.

I honestly KNOW, 100%, that ANY KID or young person is capable of making it in life, IF THEY ARE WILLING TO WORK HARD FOR WHAT THEY WANT, and never give up!

YES! We must crack down on police brutality, and we have to drive bad cops out! BUT.... We must teach the bad with the good!

This mindset though .... The one that preaches thisself-flagelating nonsense about "white privilege," and victimhood; is utter crap! It is the embodimentof the phrase, 'the road to ruin is paved with good intentions.

yeh you want to help. Your intention are good.... BUT, you know damned right well that you would NEVER do this with your own child!
    RedSoxDirtdog 19
    Calm down. I've been tamed.

Deity
    I think that there should be discussion with respect to the various problems that we face as a nation today but specifically there is no excuse regardless of how disenfranchised any particular group feels that could justify the violence that we are seeing. I don't think that anyone seems to have the answers but I feel as though I have been pushed into a corner and am being forced to pick a side so to speak. If violent disruption can be justified in the minds of some, eventually i think that the vast majority of the people in this country of all colors and cultures will strike back. We have problems of course but any endorsement of what the groups like black lives matter and others are getting away with will ultimately work against them. I'm sick of hearing how this group and that group has been mistreated. We all have a story and I mean that sincerely. I'm white but I'm not privileged. if this makes me a right wing supporter of Donald Trump, which i'm not, then people will be stunned by the overwhelming response against the democratic party this fall.

Deity
    Source?

Deity
    Easy.

Stop ignoring inner city schools, many of which are in deplorable condition.

Studied also show the more money you spend on a school (per student), the better the students do...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Source?
    Multiple sources show 65-70%.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Source?
    Multiple. Read a book or do your own research. The actual number is probably higher.

Source?
    In 2014-18, the share of families headed by single parents was 75% among African American families, 58% among Hispanic families, 37% among white families and 21% among Asian families.

Single-Parent Families, by Race/Ethnicity - ACT Rochester