Register now to remove this ad

Page 315 of 644 FirstFirst ... 215265305313314315316317325365415 ... LastLast
Results 4,711 to 4,725 of 9648

Thread: COVID - Anything goes

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    With all due respect, not noticing white privilege is a major reason things don't change.

Hell, Trump ran on and won on a platform of how the strongest nation in the world was being taken advantage of and that it's easier, he actually said this, for a black person to get a job than a white person.
    Aren't you mashing things together there just a bit? I don't think that when Trump said the US was being taken advantage of that he meant by its own black citizens.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    But it really isn't that bad for people of color if Africans are leaving black countries to come here. And the metrics show that they have been very successful in the USA.
    The metrics show blacks have been very successful here?

Is the bar set at how bad they were in their native country before coming here and them being better off, now?

Is that the "metric" being used to call it "very successful?"
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    With all due respect, not noticing white privilege is a major reason things don't change.

Hell, Trump ran on and won on a platform of how the strongest nation in the world was being taken advantage of and that it's easier, he actually said this, for a black person to get a job than a white person. To actually think that it is the white person that is suffering the most is a joke, yet that is his foundation of beliefs going way back to his redlining days in real estate.
    And I'm meaning no respect back when I say that I do not see the color of a person's flesh as making them privileged. Depending on how you want to spin it, privilege is certainly not restricted to color.

It might not be so much about giving you anything because you are white, but what is taken away from people who are black and or poor. That is privilege, too.

You are right, though, some systems are set up more against poor people, of which there are more blacks percentage wise, than against blacks, per se, but just look at the justice system alone, and you'll see plain and clear that white privilege exists.

Same crime.
    Same background criminal record.
    Same income bracket.
    Way different sentencing outcomes depending only on the color of your skin, and even more so, if the victim of the crime was white.
    All I know is that you can't sit here and tell me that every white person is privileged. I am definitely not privileged. I know people who definitely are, but at least in my life experience, I have been involved in little to no situations of a white person getting something that a black person was deprived of the opportunity to acquire. You can think that is naive, but that's truly how I feel, and I am enrolled a large public state university and work for the football team, the majority of whom are not white. In my life, I've always seen them on equal footing as myself, and I've not witnessed any treatment that would constitute privilege. Again, I'm not disputing that it exists, I just haven't witnessed it first-hand. That is not the same thing as saying I have seen no examples of racism in my daily life, because I certainly have
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

The metrics show blacks have been very successful here?

Is the bar set at how bad they were in their native country before coming here and them being better off, now?

Is that the "metric" being used to call it "very successful?"
    African immigrants have been more successful than American blacks.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Aren't you mashing things together there just a bit? I don't think that when Trump said the US was being taken advantage of that he meant by its own black citizens.
    Yes, two different issues:

1. That the USA was being taken advantage of by the rest of the world and that we needed to turn the tide. This may be true to some extent but we are the most powerful nation in the world. We have been exploiting less fortunate nations for decades. We have interfered with democratically elected governments, because they threatened our ability to make money off them, even if it meant allowing a dictator or oppressive government to take over. To think that it is us who are being most exploited is a total farce. Sure, making other richer nations pay more of their fair share was and still is a great idea, and T Rump has made some gains in that area, but we still are forcing ourselves on much of the world with a heavy hand.

2. Yes, he meant within the USA. The white man has been losing their power and wealth to "hoardes" of Hispanics crossing our borders and taking our jobs- like we really want to pick fruit and veggies in 100 degree heat. His message here is certainly more coded, but it's clear to all that are open minded enough to look. He has surrounded himself with people who have long histories of being racists or saying and doing racists things. He has defended racist protesters and treasonous Confederate leaders. He has chosen his sites for speeches very carefully.

While it is very true that not all Trump supporters are racists, it's pretty close to true that all white supremacists are Trump supporters. The worship him. They salute him- sometimes Nazi style. He does very little to dissuade them or their movement, or at least a hell of a lot less than to dissuade the BLM and even the millions of peaceful protesters seeking a better system.

This is a guy who called for the execution of 5 black teenage boys for raping, you guessed it, a white woman. He not only wanted it, he took out a full page add calling for it.

Even after they were proven innocent, he persisted in calling them guilty.

Several months after jumping into the Central Park rape case, Trump appeared in an NBC News special on race in the United States. He declared that certain black Americans now had an advantage over white Americans. Trump noted that if he were starting off in business at this point in time, he would “love” to be “a well-educated black.” He explained, “I really believe they do have an actual advantage today.”

Here are his words:

A well-educated black has a tremendous advantage over a well-educated white in terms of the job market. And, I think, sometimes a black may think that they don’t really have the advantage or this or that but in actuality today, currently, it’s, uh, it’s a, it’s a great. I’ve said on occasion, even about myself, if I were starting off today I would love to be a well-educated black because I really believe they do have an actual advantage today.

The absurdity of this statement is mind-boggling.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    All I know is that you can't sit here and tell me that every white person is privileged. I am definitely not privileged. I know people who definitely are, but at least in my life experience, I have been involved in little to no situations of a white person getting something that a black person was deprived of the opportunity to acquire. You can think that is naive, but that's truly how I feel, and I am enrolled a large public state university and work for the football team, the majority of whom are not white. In my life, I've always seen them on equal footing as myself, and I've not witnessed any treatment that would constitute privilege. Again, I'm not disputing that it exists, I just haven't witnessed it first-hand. That is not the same thing as saying I have seen no examples of racism in my daily life, because I certainly have
    UCONN is huge and you were certainly exposed to a cross section of what America looks like culturally. i'm willing to bet that you aren't the only young person who feels the way you do either.

2. Yes, he meant within the USA. The white man has been losing their power and wealth to "hoardes" of Hispanics crossing our borders and taking our jobs- like we really want to pick fruit and veggies in 100 degree heat. His message here is certainly more coded, but it's clear to all that are open minded enough to look. He has surrounded himself with people who have long histories of being racists or saying and doing racists things. He has defended racist protesters and treasonous Confederate leaders. He has chosen his sites for speeches very carefully.
    So now you're saying that any measures against illegal immigration by him are racially motivated and nothing else.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I'm not saying no white people are underprivileged. Of course they are. How many times have we all heard? "It's all about money."

I was speaking only to the justice system, which is a pretty major component of our society.

It's a fact that white, no matter how rich or poor, get better results from the justice system.

That's not to say that poor white people get the same justice as rich white people. We all know that's not true, and I'm pretty sure plenty of poor white people would have gone to prison for what OJ did to his wife, but yes pretty much all white people have some sort of institutional advantage or privilege over blacks.

Recent studies still show there is racism in real estate- both in people being steered to "certain" communities based on race and the ease at which whites can get bank approval (mostly because they make more money or have stronger work histories, but some of that was due to privilege, too).

Education: we are more segregated now, in many areas, than we were in the 70's, and most failing schools are in black/brown neighborhoods. For many blacks the only way to afford a higher education is through joining the military.

African immigrants have been more successful than American blacks.
    Yes, as are most immigrant groups when compared to the entirety of another (native) group.

Also, what skills, education and wealth do these immigrants bring with them? Some are also set up with housing and a lot of assistance that natives don't have access to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    So now you're saying that any measures against illegal immigration by him are racially motivated and nothing else.
    I honestly don't, and I never said that.

I do know this: he ran on the issue. It was the first thing he spoke about. The whole "I assume some are good, I guess" says it all.

He also ran on what most Americans believe in- "Come here the legal way." "Get in Line." "Do what our ancestors had to do." I agree 100%, but then he made it harder for legal entry, and not just refugees seeking legal asylum.

His Muslim ban was clearly (in a sense) "racially" motivated, although Muslims are not a race, he also has restricted all Arab immigration, even those who fought along side us in our middle east wars and Arab wives of our servicemen. He's all for booting out DACA servicemen, too. He and some of his staff calls them "illegals," when they did nothing illegal at all.

To me, if I was going to try and end illegal immigration as both Obama (who deported more than double of any previous president, yet Trump lambasted him for allowing "open borders") and T Rump have done, I'd strengthen the legal entry system by improving the vetting while expanding the numbers allowed in legally- so we only get "the good ones." Instead, we have sent back many legitimate refugees- some to their deaths- against world and US laws and policy. Yes, I think the foundation of this is probably based on racism. There are so many quotes that show he thinks like a racist and assumes everyone else is-like the US born judge with Hispanic heritage that was out to get him, because he's Hispanic. Like saying this about Jeb Bush,"JebBush has to like the Mexican Illegals because of his wife."

He looks like a racist, smells like a racist and more than anything sounds like a racist.

He's a racist.

Is racism the major reason he's against immigration? Hard to know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    UCONN is huge and you were certainly exposed to a cross section of what America looks like culturally. i'm willing to bet that you aren't the only young person who feels the way you do either.
    I'm not saying things don't happen at UConn, but they are definitely few and far between and only impact a few people. I get the vibe of inclusion and equality from most people I come across
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

I acknowledge that the family I grew up with gave me some "privileges" that others with less money did not have. We had a house, and eventually, after years of saving, 2 cars. We grew up renting in Allston MA, and we didn't even have a washing machine or dryer for nearly 10 years. My dad worked 2 jobs, full time, and eventually saved enough to move us out of the city to the burbs.

We sure as shit did not feel that we had 'WHITE PRIVILEGE."

We were taught to work our asses off if we want something others have..... But for one brother with mental illness, we all did that. There are 10's of millions of whites living in poverty..... Generations of poverty. Do they have "white privilege?"

Besides this debate being maddeningly ignorant, it is going to do little more than guarantee that 10's of millions of African Americans see themselves as a uniquely oppressed minority group, institutionally oppressed and held down by ALL WHITES and the "institution of white privilege," divide this country much more on racial lines, convince 10's of millions to hate this country, cause greater and greater resentment and unrest, and convince more and more to want to tear down this country by the very pillars of Democracy upon which it was built.

WE ARE RACING TOWARD A VERY DANGEROUS PLACE IN THIS COUNTRY, and the Democrat Party and the msm are helping to fuel the flames of discontent for political gain. The Far-Left in the Democrat Party are quickly taking control if the Party, and it is crystal clear that they want political power "BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY."

They will race to defend Kaepernick's recent tweet, which tells the real story of why he started to kneel for the anthem, as though his ignorant wearing of Castro tee-shirts and his PIG COP Socks didn't mean anything.....

Kaepernick's Tweet:

Black ppl have been dehumanized, brutalized, criminalized + terrorized by America for centuries, & are expected to join your commemoration of ‘independence’, while you enslaved our ancestors. We reject your celebration of white supremacy & look forward to liberation for all,” he wrote.

Any way you look at this, you see a very ignorant but important person who us using their fame and infamy to push an ANTI-American agenda, bent on the destruction of this great Democratic Republic union.

* THIS IS REACHING critical mass at a breakneck pace, and creating a dividing line worth fighting for. These once INSANE IDEAS are being given respect and admiration by Democrats and the msm, and they are a clear and present danger to this union. There are no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Liberal Progressivism and the msm are clearly calculating that convincing SOME Americans to hate the nation and its very Founding, will help them re-take political power.

THEY ARE DOING WORSE THAN PLAYING WITH FIRE! They are driving this country toward civil war. Far more than 1/2 of this country will not ultimately tolerate tearing down this great Democratic Republic. Even when this push to tear down America fails, African Americans will feel more like powerless victims, with little to no self-determination.

This is the movement that Democrats and the MSM are defending, enabling, and pushing. They tried to defend BLM & ANTIFA under Obama, but did have to back off for political expediency.

NOW.... Under Trump, they seem very willing to use this BLM movement, beat the drum of "white privilege," and institutional racism, and fuel ANARCHY, in an attempt to regain political power BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY.

Democrats in power are making the political calculation to defend and spin even riots as mostly peaceful protest. They clearly fear Trump inexplicably making inroads with the "black vote," and need to demonize him as THE #1 reason for racial unrest. It is calculated, and they are playing with fire.

We are at a very dangerous place in history when we have 1 political party willing to sell out our very Founding and our Democratic Republic for political gain. It is obvious that they see victimization and racial unrest as their quickest route back into to Whitehouse.

This unholy alliance of the msm with an increasingly radical & revolutionary bound Liberal Progressive Democrat Party is becoming an existential threat to this union. It is THE MOST DANGEROUS MOVEMENT in our history. They seem completely willing to take down this Democratic Republic from within.

Yes! I feel the rich have too much. They get too much! I deserve more. We all deserve more..... Do I feel like nothing more than a victim? NO! Do I want to tear down the very pillars of our Democratic Republic, based on the rule of law to get what I think I deserve? NO! THAT WOULD BE INSANE! We know from history what comes after a violent and anarchistic revolution. Some totalitarian rule must restore order.

I fear the hell out of the Far-Left totalitarians. They are as inflexible in their views as any I have ever seen. They are angry, violent, hard Marxist leaning, and clearly willing to take power by any means necessary.

again .... The NEW Liberal Progressive Democrat Party, in lockstep with the msm Propaganda Ministry wing of THEIR PARTY is absolutely playing with fire. We are nearing a tipping point. MOST do not follow this, but if they continue to defend and promote even the insane anarchistic riotous mayhem, which openly promotes a tearing down of this Denocraric Republic...... it will reach a breaking point. The silent majority will reassert themselves; and The Democrat Party will fall. Right now, Trump Derangement Syndrome rules the day. If this morphs more toward anarchy, the silent majority will rise again.

listen:
    Watch:

A young "kid," who looks like one of these radicals, but is blessed with a discernment way beyond his years.

kinda how I see Thunder.

https://www.facebook.com/12441163423...7/?d=null&vh=e
    Last edited by Sox75; 07-06-2020 at 01:14 PM.
    RedSoxDirtdog 19
    Calm down. I've been tamed.

Is the way to equality aided by insulting and demeaning the accomplishments of one group ? Should we be required to adjust our language and our thinking every time some group of nutty professors sit around sipping scotch and coming up with some new catch phrase ? Does any of this stuff help anybody or anything ?

Deity
    I'm not saying no white people are underprivileged. Of course they are. How many times have we all heard? "It's all about money."

I was speaking only to the justice system, which is a pretty major component of our society.

It's a fact that white, no matter how rich or poor, get better results from the justice system.

That's not to say that poor white people get the same justice as rich white people. We all know that's not true, and I'm pretty sure plenty of poor white people would have gone to prison for what OJ did to his wife, but yes pretty much all white people have some sort of institutional advantage or privilege over blacks.

Recent studies still show there is racism in real estate- both in people being steered to "certain" communities based on race and the ease at which whites can get bank approval (mostly because they make more money or have stronger work histories, but some of that was due to privilege, too).

Education: we are more segregated now, in many areas, than we were in the 70's, and most failing schools are in black/brown neighborhoods. For many blacks the only way to afford a higher education is through joining the military.
    things are getting just a bit redundant I'm afraid but whatever right. Our justice system may be just as flawed as you say that it is. the majority of people probably don't know much about our system due to the fact that they have tried to be law abiding.
    With respect to your schools being more segregated than ever before, they very well might be but simply due to the fact the kids are staying in or close to their own neighborhoods to be educated. Forced integration is a dead end. there is a difference between being a realist and a racist.