Register now to remove this ad

Page 505 of 644 FirstFirst ... 5405455495503504505506507515555605 ... LastLast
Results 7,561 to 7,575 of 9648

Thread: COVID - Anything goes

Good ad on the biggest broken promise of all- a promise I had hoped he'd have kept...

Broken Promise Number One

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I looked and couldn’t find an actual story. Just a link with a YouTube video with some girl, who I am guessing is not a journalist...
    The lady may be right- she may be wrong, but it's so obvious how quick some are to believe what they want to believe, even if it's just one unknown person saying something.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Wearing a flag on a mask is so disrespectful.

It's worse than when those hippies wore them on their jeans as ass patches!

It's worse than kneeling during the anthem.

What is this country coming to?
    Pike = Troll
    RedSoxDirtdog 19
    Calm down. I've been tamed.

Deity
    Is that in the constitution?

Actually, the right for anyone to vote isn't there, so who's next after felons and even non felons who have been in prison?
    It is certainly my opinion. Did you think that I might have implied something else. I didn't. Serve your time then regain the right to vote.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Burning the bibles is meant to antagonize decent people . That is just the kind of low life scum they are .
    There is no question about that at all.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by SoxHop View Post
    I got this website where we can join the anarchist party. Let me know, I'll sign up if you sign up. It almost seems better than these chumps who say they are looking out for us. This partisan stay in power bullcrap needs to end.
    Interesting

Deity
    I don't disagree, but right now, the deficit is not the number one priority. Keeping people from dying, losing their jobs and pay and paying for making workplaces and schools safe is essential and is going to be costly.

Bill Clinton was able to get the deficit under control without raising taxes on the average American.

To me, this is not about "coveting" the top 1-5%'s wealth. I see it as they were able to use the system our government set up specifically for them to make $billions and billions while their workers were underpaid, under-insured and actually lost spending power, benefits and safety nets along the way.

I have no sympathy for slackers, but when people work a 40 hour week (or more, in many cases) but still can't afford adequate housing, healthcare and essentials needed to survive and thrive, the system needs to be repaired by government. I'd also suggest a few small comforts might be nice, too, but we see example after example of many wealthy business owners gaming the system to get tax breaks (or pay no taxes at all) while depriving their workers of a living wage and affordable and good health insurance.

My neighbor's wife has worked for Walmart for over 7 years. They make sure she never averages over 30 or 32 hours a week, so she can't get health insurance through them. She works a second job part time job at Home Depot. All totaled, she works over 55 hours every week just to scrape by pay check to pay check. She has no health insurance and goes to Mexico, if anything major comes up. How much did she get under T Rump's tax cut? She told me she got less than $10 a month in tax relief. Millionaires got the double whammy in tax cuts: they saved millions and millions in income tax while the companies they own or manage (many with stock options) saved millions and millions, too. This type of situation goes on way too much, today. We can't count on big businesses to "do the right thing."

It's about fairness NOT coveting another's wealth.

I get how many take big risks and lose, and people should be rewarded for creating a business that works and puts many to work with good pay. I'm not an anti-capitalist at all. I just think that those who make the most off our economic system should pay for the needs and services of the government that allows them to do so.

Under Biden's and even Bernie's tax plans, millionaires will still make $millions and $millions. They just won't make as much.

Asking the working man to pay for this huge debt is ludicrous. Worker production has risen and risen, every year. We get way less vacation and leave time than the rest of the modern world. We have to pay for a bigger chunk of our own healthcare, medicine and retirement. Most Americans are one medical emergency or job loss away from poverty and homelessness. Some are 1 to 2 paychecks away from that. Many will be evicted, soon. Many will be losing unemployment benefits, soon.

If people think there are too many protesters on the streets, now- wait until the desperation felt by many reaches the flash point.

The deficit is a major problem, don't get me wrong, but we are in the middle of a pandemic and economic meltdown that now seems like it could be worse than the Great Depression. Cutting services is not the answer. Raising taxes on the average guy isn't either. Payroll tax cuts may help those who are working, but with so many out of work, it means nothing to them- and they need it more than anyone.

Yes, someday, the piper will be paid.Hopefully it won't be extended so far into the future that our children will have to pay. Already, they are being asked to pay for the boomers reaching retirement age and social security benefits. They will have to pay for the environmental mess we have left them. They will have to pay the veteran benefits for the endless (and needless) wars in the Middle East.

We need to get the tax and spending systems in check when this thing is over. No nominee from either party will even entertain the idea of cutting military spending. Right now, we spend more on defense than the next top 8 to 10 spending nations combined (depending on how it is calculated)- and 8 of those 10 nations are our allies! Let that sink in. Russia fell out of the list of top five spenders for the first time since 2006. Its military spending decreased by 3.5% from 2017. But military spending in Central Europe (our allies) was up 12%. Both Biden and T Rump want to raise our military spending.

We need to re-evaluate our priorities, tax system and social safety net programs.

So in your world, it is no longer the top 1%'s wealth, which they have earned regardless of how you feel about it, but the top 1 to 5%ers as well. this is the problem - is does not stop until it reaches right across the board. The more that gets stolen basically seems to become the more that is wasted. My tax bill has gone up continuously for years now. I am willing to pay but I really am sick of supporting causes that I just don't believe in. that does not make me any worse of a person than those who in my opinion disrespect our country by kneeling during the anthem, or those who are ok with the burning of the books, bibles, and flags, or those choose to destroy this nation's history by tearing down anything that a specific group feels is offensive. And simply for the record, I would find it very difficult to support an anarchist bent on overthrowing our current system of government. I would likely not befriend them either. It is petty neat though that those who are still so filled with hatred can still live in a nation that that can legally express their opinions in the strangest ways.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedballgame View Post
    As the NBA and MLB return from their coronavirus-imposed hiatus, it appears TV viewers are not interested in what the increasingly woke leagues have to offer.

With both baseball and basketball draped in all sorts of Black Lives Matter and social justice symbolism for their opening games, a substantially smaller number of fans tuned-in to the rest of the week’s games.

Surprise, surprise. People don't want to watch the crap they are trying to sell. We want to watch sports not get lectured on politics. The NBA is going to see a big drop in attendance when fans are allowed back. The silent majority!
    thanks for posting this. some of the numbskulls out there have no clue about what or what not they might be protesting.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by FredLynn View Post
    This thread is ONLY a place to vent. Its not to be taken too seriously, as you know. With the situation in this country being what it is I think that this thread serves a purpose.....a catharsis from some of the tension all of us feel. My suspicion is that if we were all to gather in a room or at a BBQ after this disaster is over we would get along just fine, at least most of us would, and that the language being used here would not be used in a face to face meeting. My vote is to keep it open. Those who want to stay here and vent, have at it. Those who find it too offensive have the option of leaving whenever they want.
    I have no intention of leaving this forum but I do find it somewhat bizarre that there are in fact people whose opinions with respect to major issues vary so much from mine. I've always considered myself somewhat middle of the road - guess not. I don't think that i could find too much middle ground with anyone who supports the actions of anarchists and would not want to be around them for very long. The list seems to go on and on the longer this thread continues as well. I respect a person't right to their own opinion but that doesn't mean that I have to like it and yes it does extend to the people who think that blatant disrespect for things that most Americans consider important is ok. We are all in this together and people on both sides are seemingly intent on dividing us and it isn't going to heal automatically. i'm being forced into choosing a side and actually I have no problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    It's very true.

While I post many negative things about Trump, I certainly do not find many positive things to say about Biden.

It is safe to say I will NOT vote for Trump. And equally safe to say that does not mean I am voting for Biden. I've voted 3rd party three times before and might do it again.

But thanks to the outdated EC, it does not matter anyway. Illinois is going straight up blue...
    I'll tip my cap to anyone who votes 3rd party this time.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Chuck Woolery:"Joe Biden leads Trump by 100 points in China."

Now that's funny!

Trump said we will extend the 600.00 a week until we work out a deal. Pelosi said NO! That's how much Democrats care for you.

Pelosi is an evil witch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I appreciate it in advance.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I have voted for Perot, Nader and Johnson in the past. There is definitely no Perot or Nader among this year’s third party candidates. And really, not even a Gary Johnson.

I actually assumed the 2016 ballot was prime for a viable third party, since the two big names were both so polarizing. But the US system has really stacked itself against third party candidates with the Commission for Presidential Debates basically suppressing any alternative voices.

I didn’t even like Gary Johnson much, but his running mate was Bill Weld, whom I do like and am familiar with from his days as a Republican governor of Massachusetts...
    Last edited by notin; 08-03-2020 at 09:48 AM.

Cuomo says NYPD needs to ‘step up’ and enforce rules for bars and restaurants https://trib.al/mgNA8tJ

Clown Show from NY's Governor and Mayor.