Register now to remove this ad

Page 48 of 644 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148548 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID - Anything goes

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Lincoln only freed the slaves when it was politically expedient. He had a history of not caring about slavery. In fact, he allowed slavery for a time in the union.

I’ve just read about it, so what do I know.
    His father-in-law was a slave owner. And his platform in the election of 1860 was not abolition, but rather just stopping the spread of slavery. Like he was grandfathering it in for some states. Now I’ve heard and read this wasn’t that he was tolerant of slavery but rather that he didn’t think the federal government was empowered with abolition.

But apparently he also had a good relationship with his father-in-law...

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    The fact that the Guardian published that is rather stunning IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    The fact that the Guardian published that is rather stunning IMHO
    They certainly are way more left or centrist leaning than many other sites, but they sometimes write articles about Dems and "lefties."
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I think that's fair.

Would it also be fair to say that the majority of MSM is on the left?
    Center/Center-Left
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Sox75 View Post
    Dude,

This is just an ignorantly biased view of history. Do you read any mainstream history books, or just the far Left tevionist crap that condemns ALL U.S. history?

You Far-Left "Blame America First" nonsense reading of world history, always lands on the side of painting everything as the U.S. being guilty of war times atrocities, whether domestic or international, while pretending the U.S. was somehow unique in struggling through historic issues.

While we had the original sin of slavery, the U.S. has been THE LEADING FORCE through the 20th century in fighting for Liberty & equal Rights for ALL throughout the world.

Yes! We have countless sins with African Americans, Native Americans, and numerous other groups, but still the arch of OUR HISTORY has bent consistently toward justice for ALL.

YOU? You warped ANTI-U.S. spin on history has ou somehow much more complimentary if MODERN DAY repressive totalitarian, concentration camp loving, ZERO EQUAL RIGHTS DEMANDING, religious and social persecuting, racist & misogynistic Communist China, than the U.S.

YOU are hardly the best arbiter of a fair minded reading of U.S. history.

In fact... your bizzare historical far Left spin is more than a joke!

Anybody who bends themselves into a moral and ethical pretzel to not just defend China through this shit-storm WORLD CRUSHING PANDEMIC, but actually laud, praise, and promote China as a WORLD LEADER on how to handle this pandemic, as you and Slasher have consistently done here, HAS A MAJOR ANTI-American screw loose!

When someone like you has to stop to BASHING Lincoln because he AND Trump are Republicans, everyone should know you've lost your Trump Derangement Syndrome mind.
    You are GONE! TOTALLY UNHINGED.
    You could get what I wrote off the history channel website dude. It’s not off base at all.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    His father-in-law was a slave owner. And his platform in the election of 1860 was not abolition, but rather just stopping the spread of slavery. Like he was grandfathering it in for some states. Now I’ve heard and read this wasn’t that he was tolerant of slavery but rather that he didn’t think the federal government was empowered with abolition.

But apparently he also had a good relationship with his father-in-law...
    I’m pretty sure he felt the federal government was not empowered. The executive branch was far weaker in those days than it is now.

And you have to wonder if he had run on an abolitionist platform, would he even have been elected. You can’t change something if you don’t win the election. As it was, he got less than 40% of the vote on a 4 way race, although he had a relatively easy electoral college victory.

One has to avoid presentism. Who knows what the people 150 years from now will think of us.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Love the freedom loving USA supporting apartheid in Israel. Great job!

Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    I’m pretty sure he felt the federal government was not empowered. The executive branch was far weaker in those days than it is now.

And you have to wonder if he had run on an abolitionist platform, would he even have been elected. You can’t change something if you don’t win the election. As it was, he got less than 40% of the vote on a 4 way race, although he had a relatively easy electoral college victory.

One has to avoid presentism. Who knows what the people 150 years from now will think of us.
    He outright said in his letter to Greeley that if could “save the Union” and keep slavery, he would.

Legend
    Interesting...who is behind these bots?

Nearly Half Of The Twitter Accounts Discussing ‘Reopening America’ May Be Bots
    CMU Researchers Say Sophisticated, Orchestrated Bot Campaigns Aim To Sow Divide
    Virginia Alvino Young Wednesday, May 20, 2020

CMU researchers have discovered that much of the social media discussion around the pandemic and stay-at-home orders is fueled by misinformation campaigns that use convincing bots.
    Scrolling through your Twitter feed, it may not be obvious when you come upon a bot account — something that is more likely to occur in the era of COVID-19. Carnegie Mellon University researchers have discovered that much of the discussion around the pandemic and stay-at-home orders is being fueled by misinformation campaigns that use convincing bots.

To analyze bot activity around the pandemic, CMU researchers since January have collected more than 200 million tweets discussing coronavirus or COVID-19. Of the top 50 influential retweeters, 82% are bots, they found. Of the top 1,000 retweeters, 62% are bots.

Cuomo is not the only Governor at fault with nursing home policies. The same carnage for the same reasons happened in NJ and MA. I don’t know about Illinois and other states. The politicians take money from the Nursing Homes. The governors then give cover of law and protection against legal liability to the nursing homes by mandating that they admit COVID patients. When the heat got ratcheted up and there were legal loopholes to sue the nursing homes, the governors passed legislation absolving the nursing homes of liability. Disgraceful.

if there is a silver lining to this pandemic it is that at least momentarily that a light is getting shined on the scandalous state run nursing home industry. Hopefully, there will be some needed reforms before this segment of the population is again forgotten and viewed as inconvenient and disposable.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

This pandemic has just shown how nearly every politician is beholden to some corporate lobby. If people saw that neither side was inherently “more good” than the other side, we’d all get along better.

They certainly are way more left or centrist leaning than many other sites, but they sometimes write articles about Dems and "lefties."
    Dem lefties on the Sox won't be as good this year without Sale... but at least Boston won't have to watch and listen to Price (only pay him to be a Dodger).

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Center/Center-Left
    This reminds me of when Epstein shifted Ellsbury's position for Mike Cameron.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Cuomo is not the only Governor at fault with nursing home policies. The same carnage for the same reasons happened in NJ and MA. I don’t know about Illinois and other states. The politicians take money from the Nursing Homes. The governors then give cover of law and protection against legal liability to the nursing homes by mandating that they admit COVID patients. When the heat got ratcheted up and there were legal loopholes to sue the nursing homes, the governors passed legislation absolving the nursing homes of liability. Disgraceful.

if there is a silver lining to this pandemic it is that at least momentarily that a light is getting shined on the scandalous state run nursing home industry. Hopefully, there will be some needed reforms before this segment of the population is again forgotten and viewed as inconvenient and disposable.

Pritzker hasn’t had Cuomo’s nursing home issues, as he’s been towing the CDC guidelines to the letter (as best he has interpreted them). He has his own scandals however...