Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Consumer products - the good, the bad, the strange etc.

Consumer products - the good, the bad, the strange etc.

I'll start with a few good products.

Vaseline

Petroleum jelly. Now here is a product that delivers a lot of value and versatility.

You find it in the baby section, because it's used for diaper rash. And if you have a baby with diaper rash, you'll probably go through a few jars of it.

If you're a male adult, with no babies, and you have purchased one of the large jars of Vaseline for your personal use, it'll probably last years. There are two main reasons you have made this purchase: 1) Hemorrhoids. It's the poor man's Preparation H. 2) Sex lubricant. Once again, the poor man's lubricant. You can pay a whole lot for fancy lubricants, or you can save a bundle with petroleum jelly. I did read that water-based lubricants are the safest with regard to infection.

I also once saw a man get a stuck window freed up with it. Versatile, like I said.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Good-quality dish detergent

Dawn, Palmolive, whatever the best ones are. You get a whole lot of cleaning out of one of the big bottles, for a reasonable price.

Some cleaning products, on the other hand, are crazy expensive.

Hot water bottles

My wife needs two of these sometimes. They're cheap to buy and they're virtually indestructible, in spite of being filled up with boiling hot water on a regular basis. They take a lot of abuse. People lying on them, squeezing the crap out of them. Then tossing them any random place until they're needed again.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

Vaseline

Petroleum jelly. Now here is a product that delivers a lot of value and versatility.

You find it in the baby section, because it's used for diaper rash. And if you have a baby with diaper rash, you'll probably go through a few jars of it.

If you're a male adult, with no babies, and you have purchased one of the large jars of Vaseline for your personal use, it'll probably last years. There are two main reasons you have made this purchase: 1) Hemorrhoids. It's the poor man's Preparation H. 2) Sex lubricant. Once again, the poor man's lubricant. You can pay a whole lot for fancy lubricants, or you can save a bundle with petroleum jelly. I did read that water-based lubricants are the safest with regard to infection.

I also once saw a man get a stuck window freed up with it. Versatile, like I said.
    I may never look at Vaseline the same again. LOL

Interestingly, I don't think I've ever used Vaseline on my kids as babies. I do have a jar of Vaseline that I've had for years. I'm not sure why I have it, but it's been used, so there was a reason behind the purchase. The nice thing is, it doesn't go bad.

Vicks Vaporub.

It's not just for colds and coughs!

Some of the reported uses include getting rid of toe nail fungus, healing dry, cracked skin, improving stretch marks, repelling insects, clearing acne, and soothing muscle pain. I have never tried it for any of those things, I must admit. I just remember my mom rubbing it on my chest when I was a kid and caught a cold, and I hated it.

Deity
    Baking soda.

Is there nothing that cannot be treated with baking soda? It handles upset stomachs, dental hygiene, minor burns, sore throats, smelly refrigerators, dirty laundry, kitchen stains, and much, much more.

And at some point, you can probably bake with it, too.

And the really weird part. How many companies make this glorious substance? Does Arm and Hammer have a baking soda monopoly or what?
    Last edited by notin; 05-31-2020 at 07:24 PM.

Vaseline

Vaseline is one of those brands that has become eponymous with the product, in this case petroleum jelly. It has many uses . In my youth, it was frequently used as a hair dressing or pomade . In my experience as a parent , it was not beneficial for diaper rash. Ammen's medicated powder had a drying effect and was superior to oil based products like Vaseline in the treatment of diaper rash.

Deity
    Hot water bottles

My wife needs two of these sometimes. They're cheap to buy and they're virtually indestructible, in spite of being filled up with boiling hot water on a regular basis. They take a lot of abuse. People lying on them, squeezing the crap out of them. Then tossing them any random place until they're needed again.

I had no idea people actually used hot water bottles unless they got sick while in a cartoon...

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Vaseline is one of those brands that has become eponymous with the product, in this case petroleum jelly. It has many uses . In my youth, it was frequently used as a hair dressing or pomade . In my experience as a parent , it was not beneficial for diaper rash. Ammen's medicated powder had a drying effect and was superior to oil based products like Vaseline in the treatment of diaper rash.
    In modern times, we use Boudreaux's Butt Paste.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I had no idea people actually used hot water bottles unless they got sick while in a cartoon...
    LOL

I have never owned a hot water bottle or even thought of purchasing one.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    In modern times, we use Boudreaux's Butt Paste.
    I always used Desitin Cream. Not only does it work well for diaper rash, but it does wonders for jock itch and athlete's foot, per my nephew.

Something I use for multiple purposes are the bread twisty ties. They come in handy for securing/organizing cords (my OCD will not allow for tangled cords), attaching Christmas decorations, and securing things stored in plastic bags, among other things.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Many years ago, I heard of a guy who got his penis stuck in the tub spout. Probably should have used Vaseline.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Something I use for multiple purposes are the bread twisty ties. They come in handy for securing/organizing cords (my OCD will not allow for tangled cords), attaching Christmas decorations, and securing things stored in plastic bags, among other things.
    There's a few articles and/or YT videos that show various "hacks" of using certain items for other uses. Got to be real careful with some of the suggestions, because I've heard some are unsafe.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Has anyone used a Shamwow? Are they any good? Not that I'm looking to buy one. I'd always dubious when I see these miraculous products being used so effectively in the infomercials.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win