Register now to remove this ad

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Consumer products - the good, the bad, the strange etc.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    And as you know, sawdust is plant based...
    Depends on what you're sawing.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

I was a subscriber to Sports Illustrated for many , many years . I recently decided to cancel my subscription due to the declining frequency of their publication and the declining quality of their content. I cancelled by phone. They said " Okay " . That was it . They did not give me any offer or ask for any reason for my cancelling. They didn't care .

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    I was a subscriber to Sports Illustrated for many , many years . I recently decided to cancel my subscription due to the declining frequency of their publication and the declining quality of their content. I cancelled by phone. They said " Okay " . That was it . They did not give me any offer or ask for any reason for my cancelling. They didn't care .
    LOL. Sad. I used to love Sporting News when it did the little recaps for each team in 3 of the 4 sports. Gave up subscribing when they stopped being weekly.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Someone needs to sue Amazon to provide a tv stick and a Fire tablet and anything else WITHOUT Alexa. Given the cases of Alexa recording people without their knowledge or consent and the file being accessed on Amazon's servers by third parties, there's a massive privacy risk.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    Someone needs to sue Amazon to provide a tv stick and a Fire tablet and anything else WITHOUT Alexa. Given the cases of Alexa recording people without their knowledge or consent and the file being accessed on Amazon's servers by third parties, there's a massive privacy risk.
    Speaking of personal data being ripped off, the Canada Revenue Agency online tax account files have been shut down for days because of a massive hack using something called "credentials stuffing".

The cloud is awesome and all that, but there's this one little problem in that it's also like a store that gets robbed once a month.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Speaking of personal data being ripped off, the Canada Revenue Agency online tax account files have been shut down for days because of a massive hack using something called "credentials stuffing".

The cloud is awesome and all that, but there's this one little problem in that it's also like a store that gets robbed once a month.
    I'm amazed at how many companies don't mind putting their proprietary data on the servers of a third party. Never mind the hackers, who's to say the host won't have a good look through it and sell it or do whatever else with it?
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

The wife purchased an ear thermometer. She insists I'm not using it correctly, but I'm shoving that piece of crap in as far as it will go and it's giving me 92.5, 91.4, 89(!).9. I think the highest score I've achieved so far is 97 point something. And taking my daily temperature is part of the conditions for working in the office. So I'm shitcanning it and just bought an infrared forehead thermometer instead. I'm very pessimistic that it will work any better, but we'll see....
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Everyone got along without cell phones before they existed. But now people can't imagine it.

That's the beauty of the cell phone scam. The public has become convinced that they need this product.

I'm not trying to sound high and mighty here, because I'm an internet addict myself and I pay plenty for our TV and internet. I'm just not into the phones as much.
    ACtually ,we have reched the point where you do need them.

Take the app that was in-process for corona virus contact tracing. What it did was use the GPS data from your smart phone to montior where an an infected person was, and then contact other smart phones who were in the same place at the same time. The GPS data is also used to change the way car insurance is priced, using the data from where you drive as opposed to the old-fashioned how you drive. It's also used to help you find routes with more traffic, as it monitors the pinging of other cells phones, and if too many are on the road in front of you, your mapping software of choice (Google Maps, Apple Maps, Wayz) will select alternate routes.

And maybe the celll phone pinging will provide secondary guidance for unmanned vehicles, possibly helping them avoid pedestrians in some cases.

So don't get stuck in traffic with that corona virus you don't know you have!!