Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torii Hunter

I can't say that I have seen that type of behavior as being prevalent at Fenway. I can say that it is the only ballpark where I have seen that type of behavior. I saw it as late as 1977 when Jim Rice hit a ball to the gap and a guy got up and yelled "Run N--!" over the rest of the crowd. I am from Brooklyn, NY and that would have started a race riot where I am from. My first reaction was to get ready to run for the exit because my fight or flight instinct kicked in. But nothing happened. No one reprimanded him or confronted him. He was not removed initially. It was appalling. It would be unfair to accuse the crowd of accepting the behavior. Clearly, from my observation, most people in the crowd were offended and did not approve. As the guy continued harping on Rice, my recollection is that he was booed and that he did not last the entire game.

The same leather throated asshole was also screaming at Yaz calling him a Pollack. It was only one guy, but it was an eye-opening experience for me. I haven't witnessed anything like that at Fenway in over 43 years, but I don't doubt that it has happened since then. It only takes 1 asshole to poison the environment. In NY, there would have been blacks in the crowd, and the guy would have been violently confronted immediately. Back then at Fenway, the crowd was almost entirely white. This guy got booed and eventually was removed from Fenway. I always felt that he was not from Boston and not a Red Sox fan as his attacks were entirely directed at the home team. The good news is I have not seen that type of behavior at Fenway or any ballpark in more than 40 years.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

The problem is that Boston tends to say “yeah, but there’s racists elsewhere too” rather than step up and get rid of that shit. It’s always unacceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    The problem is that Boston tends to say “yeah, but there’s racists elsewhere too” rather than step up and get rid of that shit. It’s always unacceptable.
    White liberals in Massachusetts run away from the fact that Boston is a racist city. There are still parts of Boston that are no go zones for African Americans.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    White liberals in Massachusetts run away from the fact that Boston is a racist city. There are still parts of Boston that are no go zones for African Americans.
    The first I heard of this kind of thing was when the Celtics drafted Dee Brown and he was accosted by police while house-hunting in Wellesley...

It also seems like redlining and institutionalized discrimination/segregation is more clearly prevalent in Boston than anywhere else. Some of the best basketball players I've gotten to watch at UConn in recent years have been from Roxbury, which paints a picture of Boston that is vastly different than the one that most people know.
    I can't disagree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    It also seems like redlining and institutionalized discrimination/segregation is more clearly prevalent in Boston than anywhere else. Some of the best basketball players I've gotten to watch at UConn in recent years have been from Roxbury, which paints a picture of Boston that is vastly different than the one that most people know.
    The most racially segregated city I have ever been in was Syracuse. Everything south of Salina St was minority housing/business and everything north was white housing/business. It was absolutely crazy how the demarcation was so abrupt
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Boston is a highly segregated city. https://www.masslive.com/news/boston...cially_se.html

My first hand experience of living in the city for over 10 years agrees with this assessment.

The first I heard of this kind of thing was when the Celtics drafted Dee Brown and he was accosted by police while house-hunting in Wellesley...
    I did a lengthy senior project on racism and professional sports in Boston and have been depressed ever since.

I did a lengthy senior project on racism and professional sports in Boston and have been depressed ever since.
    It isn't just racism, it is deep seated ethnocentrism.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The most racially segregated city I have ever been in was Syracuse. Everything south of Salina St was minority housing/business and everything north was white housing/business. It was absolutely crazy how the demarcation was so abrupt
    Based on what I've heard and seen from people from Syracuse, that doesn't surprise me
    I can't disagree with you

Once again, paranoia contradicts. Here's the definition of liberal: "open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values." When it changes to a capital L, it's: "Liberalism is a political and moral philosophy based on liberty, consent of the governed and equality before the law."

Many people are concerned about tolerance, reform and equality, and in favor of discarding traditions steeped in shame and injustice. Labeling groups perpetuates racism.

It isn't just racism, it is deep seated ethnocentrism.
    Have the Italians and Irish stopped killing each other in Boston yet?
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Once again, paranoia contradicts. Here's the definition of liberal: "open to new behavior or opinions and willing to discard traditional values." When it changes to a capital L, it's: "Liberalism is a political and moral philosophy based on liberty, consent of the governed and equality before the law."

Many people are concerned about tolerance, reform and equality, and in favor of discarding traditions steeped in shame and injustice. Labeling groups perpetuates racism.
    There are always dopes that yell ethnic slurs from the stands. I sat in the stands at Fenway from the 1940's on. I have heard slurs about Polish, Italian, Latinos and African Americans. I have also seen the love for players like Yaz, Big Papi and Manny. By far, most of the fans are civil and don't engage in name calling.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    There are always dopes that yell ethnic slurs from the stands. I sat in the stands at Fenway from the 1940's on. I have heard slurs about Polish, Italian, Latinos and African Americans. I have also seen the love for players like Yaz, Big Papi and Manny. By far, most of the fans are civil and don't engage in name calling.
    It's a vocal minority that needs to be banned from Fenway IMO.