Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 MLB Draft

Quote Originally Posted by Tedballgame View Post
    Of course, the draft is a crap shoot. Many 1st and 2nd rounders never make the majors.
    Which is so different from the other major sports, right?

More evidence that baseball is a tough and tricky game, I guess.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Tedballgame View Post
    Since Yorke is a second baseman, I guess Pedroia isn't playing in 2025 when Yorke gets to the bigs.
    A lot of players don’t play the same position in MLB that they played in high school. For all we know, this kid could wind up at catcher....

@alexspeier
    An industry source confirms what Nick Yorke alluded to in his conference call: He is expected to sign with the Sox for less than the recommended No 17 slot of $3.61M.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

@SPChrisHatfield :

From the call with Chaim Bloom and Paul Toboni, they did earnestly think that if the spring had played out, Yorke would've worked his way up to about this point on industry draft boards.

They love Yorke's makeup and bat. Clear they have a lot of familiarity with him and a strong relationship with the family. They think he is going to move off short to second base, but love his hit tool and think he's growing into some power.

Of the 7 games he played this spring, Toboni said Sox scouts were at 4 or 5 of them. Toboni also mentioned working him out in December.

Toboni speculated that with the shortened spring, there may be greater variance between teams' draft boards given less objective data (Trackman, etc.), small Spring sample sizes. Teams will take those data points into account differently.

Per Pete Abraham, he expects that the Sox went this way so they could go over slot later in the draft. Harder to go over if you sign at full 1st round value and don't have a 2nd round pick you can save on.

@PeteAbe

Wholeheartedly agree with that assessment. Suspect they'll go with HS kids with big upside/major college commitments with at least two of their remaining picks.

One of my best friends at school played little league with Torkelson
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

I like the idea that the Sox took Yorke after taking the time to really get to know him as an all-in baseball guy -- and that in Bloom's regime, personality often compares with, and complements talent.

As a fan, I never liked draft decisions made by just choosing "the next best available player"; future club needs, franchise needs and the entertainment product are always factors with us...

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I like the idea that the Sox took Yorke after taking the time to really get to know him as an all-in baseball guy -- and that in Bloom's regime, personality often compares with, and complements talent.

As a fan, I never liked draft decisions made by just choosing "the next best available player"; future club needs, franchise needs and the entertainment product are always factors with us...
    If it's truly a crapshoot, go with the guy that just fits your org philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Big surprise with Yorke. Don't understand the reasoning.
    Initially, I didn't really understand the reasoning either. If there was a player that they valued higher than Yorke, then they should have gone with the other player.

That said, as with most things, it comes down to money. I guess the Sox feel like they have a very good chance of signing Yorke below slot money, thereby freeing up some extra money for their 3rd rounder. Are the Sox better off being able to sign what would typically be a 2nd rounder and their 3rd rounder, or would they be better off signing a 1st rounder but not a 3rd rounder?

I guess with the uncertainty of prospects, the more you are able to sign, the better off you are. We do still need to replenish the farm.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post

I actually agree with choosing the next available best player rather than drafting according to need. Granted there are several other factors to consider besides just who the best available player is, but I don't think it makes much sense to draft down 30 slots just because you have a particular need. Draft the best players, then trade from areas of strength if necessary.

The evaluators were really at a disadvantage for this draft. In senior year of High School and during college these players can make huge developmental jumps. Missing a full season was just huge in being able to make the evaluations. I think that down the road we will see an unusually large number of undrafted kids from this class making it to the majors.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    The evaluators were really at a disadvantage for this draft. In senior year of High School and during college these players can make huge developmental jumps. Missing a full season was just huge in being able to make the evaluations. I think that down the road we will see an unusually large number of undrafted kids from this class making it to the majors.
    I read that had the players been allowed to play this year, Yorke's rankings would have improved to possibly first round status. Maybe that's just the Sox blowing smoke, but it's a valid point about the players missing this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I read that had the players been allowed to play this year, Yorke's rankings would have improved to possibly first round status. Maybe that's just the Sox blowing smoke, but it's a valid point about the players missing this season.
    At least it shows that what the Sox projected him to be. If they really thought he was the guy, then they needed to grab him.

I remember the fallout from the 2017 NBA draft when the C's had the first pick. They traded down two spots to get an additional 1st round pick and ended up getting the best guy in the draft at #3. Fans were upset because they wanted Fultz and Tatum was just a "safe" pick. Well, let's just say it worked out in the C's favor.

The Pats have also made a few curious draft selections that caused fans to scratch their heads. Sometimes they work. Sometimes they don't.

It's hard for me to get too worked up over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    I actually agree with choosing the next available best player rather than drafting according to need. Granted there are several other factors to consider besides just who the best available player is, but I don't think it makes much sense to draft down 30 slots just because you have a particular need. Draft the best players, then trade from areas of strength if necessary.
    When I said "future" needs, I wasn't talking about now -- like Pedroia's done and we need a second baseman. As we all know, many good prospects are shifted to other positions in the pros (growing up, they all seem to play shortstop when they aren't pitching).

I was thinking more about projections that Yorke could become a star hitter; we can always use one of those, especially after losing Mookie and soon, JD. Betts is a one-of-a-kind, but one report compares Yorke to Youk... for a #17 slot, I'll take a three-time MLB All-Star with a career .861 OPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Noles_1335 View Post
    How do we not take an arm with the way our pitching is..... don’t we have Downs as a future 2B???
    If Downs and Yorke both become impact MLBers, it seems that's a great problem to have. I can think of a few 2B's that have successfully transitioned elsewhere (Soriano, Biggio).