Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox 30 Man Roster

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I was having a nice evening and all of a sudden I hear Brian Freaking Johnson might be the 4th starter. They are trying to get me to not buy the MLB package this year.
    I stream games when I watch, so I don't really care about the MLB package. But did I hear the other day that they are still blacking out local games? Good grief, WHY? It's not like you're going to go to the stadium and get a bleacher seat instead. (Or am I misunderstanding all this.)

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Munoz is the Swiss Army knife type, he can play a wide variety of positions and can hit. Kind of a Brock Holt type. Has he got the temperament to succeed? At 25, he may be an excellent utility man to have on the team and possibly more.
    Because he has an MiLB deal, I wonder if they keep Arauz on the roster and have Munoz in the pool in case of injury.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    I stream games when I watch, so I don't really care about the MLB package. But did I hear the other day that they are still blacking out local games? Good grief, WHY? It's not like you're going to go to the stadium and get a bleacher seat instead. (Or am I misunderstanding all this.)
    MLB is an anachronism. Those black out rules are just the tip of the iceberg for things that need to be modernized. Unfortunately, those tv contracts are king.

@jcmccaffrey
    After being taken off the 40-man last year, Brian Johnson is now competing for one of the many open spots in the Red Sox rotation.

Ron Roenicke also suggested the club looking at considering outside starting pitching help, too.

So Clay Buchholz then?

@jcmccaffrey
    After being taken off the 40-man last year, Brian Johnson is now competing for one of the many open spots in the Red Sox rotation.

Ron Roenicke also suggested the club looking at considering outside starting pitching help, too.

So Clay Buchholz then?
    They are looking at another BP Pitcher:

Red Sox Interested In Zack Godley

By Connor Byrne | July 13, 2020 at 7:40pm CDT
    The Red Sox are one of multiple teams showing interest in free-agent right-hander Zack Godley, Chris Cotillo of MassLive.com reports. Godley hit the market when the Tigers released him Monday.
    It’s no surprise that the Red Sox are seeking pitching help, considering the issues facing their staff. The team’s rotation won’t have ace Chris Sale, who’s recovering from Tommy John surgery, while de facto No. 1 starter Eduardo Rodriguez is questionable for Opening Day as a result of a positive COVID-19 test. At the moment, then, the club is perilously low on proven starters after Nathan Eovaldi and Martin Perez, who each come with plenty of question marks in their own right.
    Of course, Godley’s also no sure bet to produce these days. The 30-year-old was a good source of innings with the Diamondbacks from 2017-18, during which he made 57 starts and tossed 333 1/3 frames of 4.10 ERA/3.63 FIP ball with 9.45 K/9, 3.62 BB/9 and a 51.6 percent groundball rate. However, Godley’s career went off the rails enough last year for the Diamondbacks to designate him for assignment in August.

Godley caught on with Toronto after the D-backs cut the cord, but the Blue Jays outrighted him after just six appearances in their uniform, leading him to elect free agency. Between the two teams, he ended 2019 with a grisly 5.97 ERA/5.20 FIP over 92 frames – most of which came in relief. Godley also saw his strikeout rate plummet to a personal-worst 6.85 per nine, while he posted a below-average 4.11 BB/9 at the same time.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    Who do you think will be on the 30 man roster when the season starts?

My guess:

C - Plawecki/Vazquez
    1B - Moreland/Chavis
    2B - Peraza/Arauz
    SS - Xander/Lin
    3B - Devers
    LF - JD/Beni
    RF - Pillar/Verdugo
    CF - Bradley

SP - McHugh/Perez/ERod/Eovaldi/Weber
    RP - Barnes/Brasier/Brice/Hart/Hembree/Hernandez/Mazza/Osich/Taylor/Walden/Workman

Plawecki looked decent in ST. I don't see them adding Lucroy to the mix. I think Lin provides great versatility and Arauz is just being stashed since he's Rule V. Weber could be the Sox version of Beeks. There are a few unknowns in the pen, but Taylor, Brice, DHern and Hart all could provide a lot of value.
    Well done. I don't know enough to disagree on any specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    They are looking at another BP Pitcher:
    Godley was a high K guy when he was on my CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING TS FANTASY TEAM. We'll see if he can get it back. I'd be more interested in Godley starting than Johnson.

@alexspeier
    Per sources, Jeter Downs, Jay Groome, and Jarren Duran have been invited to be part of the group of prospects at McCoy at the alternate site training. (@ChrisCotillo reported Downs.)
    More from sources: RHPs Tanner Houck and Bryan Mata are also expected to be added to the player pool.

Cotillo says there may be some surprises as to who is omitted from the player pool.

Including the 5 above, that would be 55 reported players in the pool.

@IanCundall
    With the reported additions of Downs, Mata, Houck, Duran and Groome the Red Sox player pool will be at 55. Save for Groome, who is a unique case, all of the prospects who are going to be added played in the high minors last year. Most notable omission, thus far, is Triston Casas.

Groome is being added because he must be put on the 40 man roster at the end of the season if they want to keep him. Due to his injury issues, he really needs to get reps so that the Sox can figure out if he's worth the 40 man spot next season.

Per
    @byJulianMack
    , Josh Ockimey and Bobby Poyner will be added to the 60-man player pool tomorrow along with previously announced Mata, Houck, Duran, Downs, and Groome.

Clear focus on MLB-ready guys here, along with Groome, who is Rule 5 Draft-eligible this offseason.

Did anyone have Ockimey on their bingo card? Not me.

@IanCundall
    Seems like the Red Sox will be making several moves in the next few days as they look to finalize their opening day roster. If both Brian Johnson and Jonathan Lucroy make the team and they sign Zack Godley, they will need to open up two 40-man spots as they are currently at 39.

@IanCundall
    Seems like the Red Sox will be making several moves in the next few days as they look to finalize their opening day roster. If both Brian Johnson and Jonathan Lucroy make the team and they sign Zack Godley, they will need to open up two 40-man spots as they are currently at 39.
    @SPChrisHatfield
    Just realized this: Based on our current roster projection (https://bit.ly/2YExycJ) the only guys they could DFA to make room would be the five guys they just added to protect from R5 (Dalbec, Chatham, Hart, Aybar, Wilson), Valdez, Shawaryn, and Osich. Not a long list.

Maybe a trade in the works? Padres just made a trade with the Royals.

@SPChrisHatfield
    Just realized this: Based on our current roster projection (https://bit.ly/2YExycJ) the only guys they could DFA to make room would be the five guys they just added to protect from R5 (Dalbec, Chatham, Hart, Aybar, Wilson), Valdez, Shawaryn, and Osich. Not a long list.

Maybe a trade in the works? Padres just made a trade with the Royals.
    We have one of the weakest bottom of the 40 man roster I've seen in recent Sox history.

I wouldn't even blink if we had to DFA anyone of these players, but if we can trade one or two for something useful or for a promising player not needing to be on the 40 man roster, then go for it.

(Not in any particular order)

Phillips Valdez
    Matt Hall
    Jeffrey Springs
    Austin Brice
    Chris Mazza
    Kyle Hart
    Yoan Aybar
    Mike Shawaryn
    Josh Osich
    (Or return Jose Arauz)

Trading Lin, Hembree, Brasier or Brewer would not bother me, either.

Selling "high" on Walden & Chavis might work, too.
    Sox 4 Ever

@IanCundall
    We had heard about Poyner and Ockimey earlier, but the Red Sox have also added C Jhonny Pereda and RHP RJ Alvarez. Assuming Godley signs, once Eduardo Rodriguez, Darwinzon Hernandez and Josh Taylor come off the COVID-IL they will have a full 60-man player pool.

No Casas. No Ward. No Jimenez.