Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Red Sox 30 Man Roster

Hybrid View

Red Sox 30 Man Roster

Who do you think will be on the 30 man roster when the season starts?

My guess:

C - Plawecki/Vazquez
    1B - Moreland/Chavis
    2B - Peraza/Arauz
    SS - Xander/Lin
    3B - Devers
    LF - JD/Beni
    RF - Pillar/Verdugo
    CF - Bradley

SP - McHugh/Perez/ERod/Eovaldi/Weber
    RP - Barnes/Brasier/Brice/Hart/Hembree/Hernandez/Mazza/Osich/Taylor/Walden/Workman

Plawecki looked decent in ST. I don't see them adding Lucroy to the mix. I think Lin provides great versatility and Arauz is just being stashed since he's Rule V. Weber could be the Sox version of Beeks. There are a few unknowns in the pen, but Taylor, Brice, DHern and Hart all could provide a lot of value.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    I think I might prefer Matt Hall and Colten Brewer over Hart and Mazza. But it’s not like there is an obvious right choice.

Other than that preference of mine, it is possible. Although the Sox might want Yairo Munoz on the roster as well. If they do plan to keep the former Cardinal malcontent, Chavis is the only non-starting position player with options. Or they could work out a deal for Arauz...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I think I might prefer Matt Hall and Colten Brewer over Hart and Mazza. But it’s not like there is an obvious right choice.

Other than that preference of mine, it is possible. Although the Sox might want Yairo Munoz on the roster as well. If they do plan to keep the former Cardinal malcontent, Chavis is the only non-starting position player with options. Or they could work out a deal for Arauz...
    Munoz isn't on the 40 man roster. I think he's on the outside looking in. Brewer was an absolute dog last year. Hall had a decent year as a starter for Toledo in 2018, but wasn't impressive anywhere last year.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Munoz isn't on the 40 man roster. I think he's on the outside looking in. Brewer was an absolute dog last year. Hall had a decent year as a starter for Toledo in 2018, but wasn't impressive anywhere last year.
    Munoz is the Swiss Army knife type, he can play a wide variety of positions and can hit. Kind of a Brock Holt type. Has he got the temperament to succeed? At 25, he may be an excellent utility man to have on the team and possibly more.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Munoz is the Swiss Army knife type, he can play a wide variety of positions and can hit. Kind of a Brock Holt type. Has he got the temperament to succeed? At 25, he may be an excellent utility man to have on the team and possibly more.
    Because he has an MiLB deal, I wonder if they keep Arauz on the roster and have Munoz in the pool in case of injury.

@ChrisCotillo
    Some notes about Red Sox' player pool (47 players so far);

* Only 2 healthy 40-man players (Yoan Aybar, Marcus Wilson) left off

* 10 guys not on 40-man made it (BJ, Leyer Tapia, Bandy, Centeno, Wong, Marco Hernandez, Munoz, Andreoli, Puello) made it

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...ayer-pool.html

The Red Sox announced Thursday that they’ve formally added catcher Jonathan Lucroy to their 60-man player pool. Lucroy joins the pool as a non-roster player and brings Boston’s total to 48 players (37 members of the 40-man roster and 11 non-roster invitees).

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/...ayer-pool.html

The Red Sox announced Thursday that they’ve formally added catcher Jonathan Lucroy to their 60-man player pool. Lucroy joins the pool as a non-roster player and brings Boston’s total to 48 players (37 members of the 40-man roster and 11 non-roster invitees).
    Sox added relievers Mick Kickham and Caleb Simpson to bring the total player pool to 50. They are supposedly meeting today to figure out what to do with the remaining 10 spots. Looks like they aren't going to go the Padres route of bringing in all their top prospects.

There are 38 positive tests out of 3185 tests given in MLB. That's a 1.2% positive rate.

There are some Red Sox positive tests among those.

How will all the negative fans deal with all these positive reports?

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Ha. I like what you did here.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Lol, was wondering the same thing.

So apparently some of the unique rules for the roster are as follows:

1. In lieu of a 40 man roster, there will be a 60 man roster in order to provide protection against injury/COVID
    2. Season starts with 30 man roster with 30 man non active pool
    3. Two weeks later, the roster is reduced by 2 men
    4. Two weeks after that, the roster is reduced by 2 men to get to 26 (27th man allowed for double headers)
    5. If you move anyone from the active 30/28/36 man roster to the pool, they either need to have options or will be DFA'd
    6. Can't trade anyone not on a 60 man roster, though teams may get around this by trading for PTBNLs and not finalizing the deal until after the season
    7. For road trips, teams are allowed to bring an additional 3 players as a taxi squad in case of injury/COVID
    8. There may be a FA team housed in Nashville that would practice together and be available for in season moves
    9. The player pool cannot practice with the active roster and will be housed at a nearby MiLB facility

Why reduce the expanded rosters (with more injuries expected from the sprint season, teams are going to need more players present)... unless, they want fewer players together as possible in case of a positive. I'm staying neutral -- don't wanna sound negative, and certainly don't wanna be positive (in a Covid sense).