Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Most Important Red Sox Home Run?

Quote Originally Posted by Slasher9 View Post
    the Ortiz slam vs Detroit is the most clutch HR the sox ever had. the walkoff game 4 ALCS 2004 is a C-hair behind.
    Can't do better than a four-run homer that wipes out a 4-run deficit. But to me, hitting HRs that finally beat the Yankees will always be the most impactful. Other underrated Ortiz longballs: the 8th inning shot off Gordon that started the Gm 5 comeback in '04 (before his extra-frame walk-off single)...

... and the one everyone forgets -- a solo in the 8th of Gm 7 '03 ALCS off Wells, who was brought in just to pitch to Papi. That round-tripper made it 5-2, Boston -- more than enough for Embree, Timlin and Williamson to close it out.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Time for a new baseball thread. The Globe's Chad Finn just ran a column on this topic, calling Johnny Damon's grand slam in Game 7 of the '04 ALCS the most important in modern Red Sox history. His reasoning is that the salami opened up the game to 6-0 and eased the tension for long-tortured Sox fans. I favor Big Papi's clutch 2-run shot in the first inning -- after Damon got gunned out at the plate -- that put Boston up for good, once and for all, and first silenced Yankee Stadium.

Other worthy candidates include Papi's walk-off in Game 4, Manny's walk-off in the LDS, and of course the '75 Game 6 taters by Fisk and Carbo.

My pick this century is Moreland's pinch 3-run absolute blast in Game 4 of the '18 World Series. Remember, the Red Sox had just lost the longest extra-inning postseason game ever, were getting shut out, 4-zip, by Rich Hill into the 7th... and were on the verge of seeing a tied Series with Game Five looming in LA. Mitch's HR instantly made it a game, the Sox pounded the pen, and never looked back.

What's your favorite most important Red Sox home run?
    I like all of those.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Can't do better than a four-run homer that wipes out a 4-run deficit. But to me, hitting HRs that finally beat the Yankees will always be the most impactful. Other underrated Ortiz longballs: the 8th inning shot off Gordon that started the Gm 5 comeback in '04 (before his extra-frame walk-off single)...

... and the one everyone forgets -- a solo in the 8th of Gm 7 '03 ALCS off Wells, who was brought in just to pitch to Papi. That round-tripper made it 5-2, Boston -- more than enough for Embree, Timlin and Williamson to close it out.
    True Sox nuts like me remember it, along with many other details of that game, I assure you.

We had a chance to bury the Yanks early in that one, but Mussina came in and stopped the bleeding for them.

And Rivera pitched 3 freaking innings.

Thank God we got them the next year!

Deity
    No love for Bobby Kielty and his 2007 game 4 pinch home run?

Dave Henderson, 1986, whose hr's in the ACLS and WS led to the most catastrophic event in RS history. Without those, we might still be talking about Jim Lonborg.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Dave Henderson, 1986, whose hr's in the ACLS and WS led to the most catastrophic event in RS history.
    Merely one of the leading contenders for most catastrophic event. (1978 is my personal choice.)

Henderson will always be remembered fondly by Red Sox fans. He did all he could, that's for sure. I was happy for him when he got a ring with Oakland.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Merely one of the leading contenders for most catastrophic event. (1978 is my personal choice.)

Henderson will always be remembered fondly by Red Sox fans. He did all he could, that's for sure. I was happy for him when he got a ring with Oakland.
    Yup. My other two favorites on that team (and I mean this in all seriousness), were Buckner and Schiraldi, both of whom were a bad bounce away from being heroes. Buckner eventually got some redemption--fans must have realized that his crucial hit against the Angels got them into the WS. But Schiraldi, I think, never did, even though without him, there would have been no post-season at all for the RS.

If history tells us anything, the path to redeption for any bad baseball team is marked with a deep rotation of durable starters, a world class defense in both infield and outfield, a lineup that can generate runs in more than one way, a bullpen that won't steal defeat from the jaws of victory, and a top end catcher to hold the whole package together. These are the conditions by which victory is achieved, anything that does not accomplish these objectives is a waste of resources.