Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cleveland What’s?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Another fair point. Can they change their logos, etc., without changing their names?
    I'm not sure they'd think it's enough. Also, there is no one voice or opinion by a large group of people. Probably some have no problem, and maybe even some like the names and logos.

IMO, which certainly is not meant to speak for Native Americans, if Washington changed their name to the Americans but kept what I think is a cool logo, they might be okay with that.

I'm not sure just taking the Indians logo away would be enough.

Braves & Chiefs? I don't know.

BTW, on a side note, I read somewhere the land around Mt Rushmore is apparently Native American by a treaty that has never been revoked or nullified, yet some where arrested for blocking the roads (apparently on their own land) before T Rump's speech there.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Another fair point. Can they change their logos, etc., without changing their names?
    The Indians got rid of their logo and the Braves got rid of their mascot.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm not sure they'd think it's enough. Also, there is no one voice or opinion by a large group of people. Probably some have no problem, and maybe even some like the names and logos.

IMO, which certainly is not meant to speak for Native Americans, if Washington changed their name to the Americans but kept what I think is a cool logo, they might be okay with that.

I'm not sure just taking the Indians logo away would be enough.

Braves & Chiefs? I don't know.

BTW, on a side note, I read somewhere the land around Mt Rushmore is apparently Native American by a treaty that has never been revoked or nullified, yet some where arrested for blocking the roads (apparently on their own land) before T Rump's speech there.
    To me it would seem that most of the names and logos would be considered complimentary, but as Bell said, if these things are offensive to the Native Americans, then we need to be respectful of that.

I don't even know who/what the Braves mascot was. I guess I do recall the Indians are using the "C" now. Good deal.

I like what Tito had to say on this issue over the weekend. It kind of changed my mind a little bit. Saying it's not intended to be disrespectful isn't good enough anymore
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    "Lakers" (short for mistake on the lake)

I like "Rockers" best.
    But then they are named after former Cleveland reliever and noted bigot John Rocker!!

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Many towns or areas are named after various Indian tribes . This is intended as a compliment , not at all derogatory . The Florida State football team is nicknamed " Seminoles " , without any complaint from the Seminole tribe in Florida. Certainly , " Redskins " can be offensive and should be changed , but is there really a need to change everything ?
    If it was not for college football, I wouldn't know where most of the Native American tribes were from geographically. (I do know some schools appropriate tribe names from nearby geographic territories, but they keep it close.)

But the name Redskins is just flat out wrong. I remember many years ago Chris Rock during a Weekend Update skit on SNL commenting on this, saying "Redskins is a racial slur! That's like having a team called the New York N-----s!" Only he said the actual N-word. Not sure what year it was, but Rock was on the show from 1990 to 1995, so he was pointing this out over a quarter of a century ago.

And I don't get why the Redskins don't change. No one likes the name, and the only people who still do are the die hard fans. But with them it's a chance to sell all new gear!! Dump those Redskins hats and Redskins jackets and unis!! Put em in the back of the closet!! The new Washington Scandals (I am sticking with that name until it is officially not the right choice) jackets are out!! Buy yours today!! And don't forget the matching hat!! And these are die hard fans. Of course, they will buy!

Seriously, Snyder is walking away from a goldmine just so he can continue to keep this racial slur of a moniker...

Deity
    Technically you can still buy gear with Chief Wahoo on it...

On their uniforms: Tributes (official name: the Cleveland Tributes to 600 Different Indigenous Tribes baseball club).

The Tributes play in the Central Division of the Continent Named for the Italian Merchant/Explorer/Chief Navigator for Spain Who-Was-Not-A-Mass-Murderer League.

Washington Redskins owner agrees to change name.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/washi...b6acab28500fd6
    Sox 4 Ever

Redskins should change to the Black and Blue Skins, since they are always roughed up by Dallas on Thanksgiving.

Indians should change to the CameLs (with a capital L), since they can never get over the hump, always taking Ls instead
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

We need a national listing of all nicknames that are acceptable. You would have to choose one from that list . It would be subject to change . As of now , all animal names are allowed , but PETA is looking into that .

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    To me, the name "Chief Wahoo" is more racist than the actual logo, which just looks fucking stupid and, frankly, embarrassing. Both should have been gone years ago.

As for Washington, please don't think Snyder caved because he suddenly woke up one day and realized it was the right thing. When the sponsors start squeezing your balls, it can be a tremendous wake up call, because money is the language that everyone understands.

And yet...those sponsors were happy with the arrangement for years....until the pressure was put on them.
    Last edited by Northern Star; 07-17-2020 at 04:09 PM.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Cleveland Wastelands?
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Star View Post
    Cleveland Wastelands?
    Too much like a classic Who song.

I am all in favor of naming the team after Cleveland's most famous unsolved serial killer - the Cleveland Torso Murderers...