Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Batting Lineup

Batting Lineup

Whos idea was it to bat JD Martinez 2nd? Im sorry but I think Moreland is the best #3 hitter...JD Martinez should be hitting cleanup....Most other spots in the lineup are negotiable after that I believe

Of course, the lineup could have been constructed any which way they wanted yesterday and they still would have won but I thimk they need to better construct the lineup to compete with better teams and pitchers in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Dalas21000 View Post
    Whos idea was it to bat JD Martinez 2nd? Im sorry but I think Moreland is the best #3 hitter...JD Martinez should be hitting cleanup....Most other spots in the lineup are negotiable after that I believe
    Advanced stats favor your best hitter batting 2nd.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Advanced stats favor your best hitter batting 2nd.
    Nowadays -- with less men on base -- what matters most is to get your best home run hitters as many at bats as possible... and for a modern "first-strike" offense like Boston's, that means making sure both JD and Devers bat in the first inning. Teams also seem more determined than ever to alternate lefty and righty batters, especially now, with the new three-batter minimum for pitchers.

Of course, for one hundred years, when speed and contact were more in fashion, it was good to have a guy in the #2 hole who could handle a bat and hit to the right side; in the best interests of scoring first, hitting behind the runner was a key to moving a leadoff into scoring position. In that regard -- with swift southpaw swingers like Beni and Verdugo probably slated for #1 -- JD may be the Sox best righty stick who can go oppo, with authority (Bogie can hit to right, but they -- and we -- prefer he swings away and doesn't poke the ball, like he did pre-Cora).

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Nowadays -- with less men on base -- what matters most is to get your best home run hitters as many at bats as possible... and for a modern "first-strike" offense like Boston's, that means making sure both JD and Devers bat in the first inning. Teams also seem more determined than ever to alternate lefty and righty batters, especially now, with the new three-batter minimum for pitchers.

Of course, for one hundred years, when speed and contact were more in fashion, it was good to have a guy in the #2 hole who could handle a bat and hit to the right side; in the best interests of scoring first, hitting behind the runner was a key to moving a leadoff into scoring position. In that regard -- with swift southpaw swingers like Beni and Verdugo probably slated for #1 -- JD may be the Sox best righty stick who can go oppo, with authority (Bogie can hit to right, but they -- and we -- prefer he swings away and doesn't poke the ball, like he did pre-Cora).
    Not a bad idea to bat JD second. Now we need our leadoff hitter to produce in front of him. Four strikeouts and no hits against Orioles pitching is not the kind of start we need. Maybe we will rethink the order if Beni doesn't produce. The problem is the season is so short that its hard to leave a cold guy in for the first 10 or 20 games.I would think that applies to any position. Go with the hot hands!

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Not a bad idea to bat JD second. Now we need our leadoff hitter to produce in front of him. Four strikeouts and no hits against Orioles pitching is not the kind of start we need. Maybe we will rethink the order if Beni doesn't produce. The problem is the season is so short that its hard to leave a cold guy in for the first 10 or 20 games.I would think that applies to any position. Go with the hot hands!
    Absolutely -- there's no time waiting for someone to get hot. After today, Boston plays its next 20 games vs. the Mets, Yankees, Rays and Jays. With the Sox pitching -- if their hitters don't bash -- they will have a very difficult time winning even half of those.

Seriously, what would be more surprising: the Red Sox going 15-5 or 5-15 in their next 20?

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Absolutely -- there's no time waiting for someone to get hot. After today, Boston plays its next 20 games vs. the Mets, Yankees, Rays and Jays. With the Sox pitching -- if their hitters don't bash -- they will have a very difficult time winning even half of those. Seriously, what would be more surprising: the Red Sox going 15-5 or 5-15 in their next 20?
    It's going to be a tough go. If some of the hitters are cold against Oriole pitching, what will happen against the top flight arms we are about to see? If we need 6 or 7 runs on average to win games, that is tough for any offense to generate, let alone one with key players cold.

The options for leadoff are extremely limited. Might have to get used to seeing Beni there for a while.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The options for leadoff are extremely limited. Might have to get used to seeing Beni there for a while.
    In a short season, might see the Hot Bat. Right now, that means Peraza. (Bradley arguments accepted.)

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    It's going to be a tough go. If some of the hitters are cold against Oriole pitching, what will happen against the top flight arms we are about to see? If we need 6 or 7 runs on average to win games, that is tough for any offense to generate, let alone one with key players cold.
    Two key players are ice cold. Benintendi and Devers are a combined 0 for 18 with 9 strikeouts...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Two key players are ice cold. Benintendi and Devers are a combined 0 for 18 with 9 strikeouts...
    And while he only has one start, adding Bogaerts to these two gives the Sox three very key hitters who are a combined 1 for 24 with 13 strikeouts. They’re not even unlucky so far. They’re not putting the ball in play at all.

I know it’s just two games, but these were also games started by Tommy Milone and a rebuilt Alex Cobb...

In a short season, might see the Hot Bat. Right now, that means Peraza. (Bradley arguments accepted.)
    The short season doesn't change the facts that Beni's lifetime OBP is 41 points higher than Peraza's, and hot bats don't stay hot.

Some patience and common sense is still necessary.

I do agree that leashes will be a little shorter, though.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The short season doesn't change the facts that Beni's lifetime OBP is 41 points higher than Peraza's, and hot bats don't stay hot.

Some patience and common sense is still necessary.

I do agree that leashes will be a little shorter, though.
    It’s also true that batting orders can be changed daily...

It’s also true that batting orders can be changed daily...
    They can be, sure, but I don't see your point.

Speed and contact is what we need in the leadoff/number 2 spot....Thats what I believe has worked for years...What theyre doing right now is not working...Also, I think Moreland should be in that lineup batting as much as possible(Like every game if possible).....I dont think this team can afford to leave his bat out of the lineup.....If I were the coach I would seriously consider putting OBJ leadoff spot.....A guy that is getting on base with speed.....I would bat Peraza/Verdugo/Maybe Devers 2nd......Moreland 3 spot.....JD cleanup.....I stand firm with this lol