Register now to remove this ad

Thread: Strike Calls

Strike Calls

I dont know about anyone else...But Im tired of a pitcher having to throw a perfect pitch to get a strike these days
    .....When I played...Umps called anything close....Watching Brice pitch tonight and he wasnt getting calls that were in the K Zone.....Happy he got out of the first inning but I think he woild have got out of it sooner with a little help from the ump...

Quote Originally Posted by Dalas21000 View Post
    I dont know about anyone else...But Im tired of a pitcher having to throw a perfect pitch to get a strike these days
    .....When I played...Umps called anything close....Watching Brice pitch tonight and he wasnt getting calls that were in the K Zone.....Happy he got out of the first inning but I think he woild have got out of it sooner with a little help from the ump...
    Would*

Quote Originally Posted by Dalas21000 View Post
    Please put that comment here, and we would be happy to discuss it with you:
    https://www.talksox.com/forum/thread...90#post1344090
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Don't worry, robot umps will take care of this sooner than later. Then everyone will find something else to bitch about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
    I get MV Pee.

Legend
    Don't worry, robot umps will take care of this sooner than later. Then everyone will find something else to bitch about.
    I like to think of it as real umpires assisted by technology rather than the demeaning phrase of robo-umps. It would improve the game to know that balls and strikes would be called accurately. Too many times hitters believe they have to swing at pitches 2 inches off the plate because that is how the ump defines the zone for that game inly

Deity
    Having robot pitchers programmed to hit their spots better would also help...

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I like to think of it as real umpires assisted by technology rather than the demeaning phrase of robo-umps. It would improve the game to know that balls and strikes would be called accurately. Too many times hitters believe they have to swing at pitches 2 inches off the plate because that is how the ump defines the zone for that game inly
    I actually think it's an empowering phrase, but that's just me.
    I get MV Pee.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Having robot pitchers programmed to hit their spots better would also help...
    Posts like this deserve a week ban.
    I get MV Pee.

I'm in favor of robot umps if it will do away with the "check the check" flinch strike that has resulted in more strikeouts than ever before. Talk about ways to speed up the game -- why not just reinstate the "rule" that a batter has to turn over his wrists, like it was for at least 75 years (just watch any classic games on youtube as recent as the 1970s).

I don't know when MLB umps decided that a flinch was a swing, but the "check" has done as much to destroy modern offense as anything. I'll bet over half of modern swinging strikeouts aren't swings. And it makes for crappy spectating, too.

Deity
    Posts like this deserve a week ban.
    Actually, I kind of like it because to me baseball is a human endeavor. We go to see pitchers pitch, hitters hit, fielders field, and baserunners run the bases. And for 150 years we have also gone to see umpires make calls, good and bad, just as there are good and bad pitchers, hitters, fielders, and baserunners.

I admit that I rely heavily on TV (actually, the internet) to watch the games and that I do note when the home plate umpire misses a call now and then. Last night I did think Brice got a couple of bad calls and in the same inning the Yankee pitcher benefited from outside pitches called strikes. But to me that is part of baseball. Television, however, has made it less and less possible to tolerate any mistake by any umpire.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Actually, I kind of like it because to me baseball is a human endeavor. We go to see pitchers pitch, hitters hit, fielders field, and baserunners run the bases.
    Yes, we got to see players, not umpires. Did fans flock to the exits once replay became available?
    I get MV Pee.

Deity
    Yes, we got to see players, not umpires. Did fans flock to the exits once replay became available?
    Nope. They sure didn't

And why should they? MLB has worked hard to make the replay calls quickly.

But when you look at a game in toto you realize that the manager, pitching coach, catcher, assorted infielders, and of course the hitter at the plate are all granted "mini" timeouts for assorted reasons. And let's not forget the timeout after every half inning and the even longer timeout when a pitcher is brought in after a half inning began. It is not that unusual to have a 3 1/2 or even 4 hour 9 inning game when the stakes are high and the managers use multiple pitchers. If the fans can tolerate all that, they are unlikely to complain about the 2 or 3 minutes it takes to do the typical replay when there are normally no more than 3 or 4 per game.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Nope. They sure didn't

And why should they? MLB has worked hard to make the replay calls quickly.

But when you look at a game in toto you realize that the manager, pitching coach, catcher, assorted infielders, and of course the hitter at the plate are all granted "mini" timeouts for assorted reasons. And let's not forget the timeout after every half inning and the even longer timeout when a pitcher is brought in after a half inning began. It is not that unusual to have a 3 1/2 or even 4 hour 9 inning game when the stakes are high and the managers use multiple pitchers. If the fans can tolerate all that, they are unlikely to complain about the 2 or 3 minutes it takes to do the typical replay when there are normally no more than 3 or 4 per game.
    Can't imagine a buzzer in the plate umpires hand to indicate a strike would be any more distracting than a complaint by the batter when an incorrect call is made.