Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 76 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Trade Deadline

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    That’s because “rebuilding” is ownerspeak for “saving money”. The chances of a rebuild putting together anything but a bad team even long term are historically very high...
    Seattle's "reimagining" rebuild after an 89-win season in 2018 was about long-term prospects, not about "saving money."

The strategy may fall flat for the cursed franchise but some early returns are encouraging.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Seattle's "reimagining" rebuild after an 89-win season in 2018 was about long-term prospects, not about "saving money."

The strategy may fall flat for the cursed franchise but some early returns are encouraging.
    The baseball aspect might fall flat, but the team is definitely saving money.

Jack Z. tried to rebuild in a baseball sense when he stripped down the old team and brought in a new roster focusing largely on defense. But the notion that hording prospects in hopes of building a winning team in 2-3 years does seem like hoping against normal attrition rates for prospects...

Legend
    The baseball aspect might fall flat, but the team is definitely saving money.

Jack Z. tried to rebuild in a baseball sense when he stripped down the old team and brought in a new roster focusing largely on defense. But the notion that hording prospects in hopes of building a winning team in 2-3 years does seem like hoping against normal attrition rates for prospects...
    A team cannot depend on more than half of highly ranked prospects to produce in the long run. That's why it's better to have 10 highly ranked propects than only two.

With low expectations this year, the Mariners have the luxury of auditioning a six-man rotation of pitchers under age 30, four of whom with multiple years of team control beyond 2020. Pitching prospects Logan Gilbert, George Kirby and Emerson Hancock may have the highest ceilings.

A trio of 25-year-old hitters -- Kyle Lewis, J.P. Crawford and Shed Long -- are off to solid starts while Baseball Prospectus ranks outfielders Jarred Kelenic and Julio Rodriguez among the Top 10 prospects in baseball.

Seattle baseball fans are no strangers to disappointment but maintain a glimmer of optimism.
    Last edited by harmony; 08-14-2020 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    A team cannot depend on more than half of highly ranked prospects to produce in the long run. That's why it's better to have 10 highly ranked propects than only two.

With low expectations this year, the Mariners have the luxury of auditioning a six-man rotation of pitchers under age 30, all but one with multiple years of team control beyond 2020 (the sixth remains under team control through 2021). Pitching prospects Logan Gilbert, George Kirby and Emerson Hancock may have the highest ceilings.

A trio of 25-year-old hitters -- Kyle Lewis, J.P. Crawford and Shed Long -- are off to solid starts while Baseball Prospectus ranks outfielders Jarred Kelenic and Julio Rodriguez among the Top 10 prospects in baseball.

Seattle baseball fans are no strangers to disappointment but maintain a glimmer of optimism.
    Best-case scenario: late-80s Braves, who just said why-not and threw youngsters like Glavine and Smoltz into the rotation. They came in last three seasons in a row... then finished first for 14 consecutive years. They also signed the best free agent pitcher in history: Greg Maddux, who won four straight Cy Youngs.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    My guess is that it doesn't.
    NL will definitely keep the DH.

After 4 IP Barnes is toast?

Barnes saw his K/9 go up three straight seasons (along with his BB/9) and is still a good relief pitcher with control left.

With the possible exception of Workman, Barnes is more tradable than anyone else mentioned.
    JD and JBJ are more tradeable, with some cash throw in.

Hembree is cheaper and is certainly tradeable, right now.

Pillar, Perez and Moreland have very little trade value.

Barnes may have some value, but he may need to prove something, first.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

What would Evoldi and JD fetch ? That’s my trade ..Who’s system do we look at ? Whiitesox ? Pads ? Back to the Dodgers for Graterol ? Plus ?

Let’s just say for the sake of this post... Devers is on the market, who are some of the names that would be looked at to get our rotation or farm back to relevance?

Quote Originally Posted by Noles_1335 View Post
    Let’s just say for the sake of this post... Devers is on the market, who are some of the names that would be looked at to get our rotation or farm back to relevance?
    Devers huh ? I’m needing a bonafide Ace young controllable one .Clevinger maybe Bieber ?Rotation of Clevinger ,Erod ,Sale ,Evoldi ,Groome might be worthy ? Love Devers great kid but he’s a 1b DH isn’t he ? Can’t we find a 1b DH in the system ? I’m asking ? This is uncomfortable talk the kids my favorite Redsox since Papi .I would get physically ill.I can’t do it man .Kids untouchable.I would imagine that’s what the front office goes through every time he’s brougt up lol let’s trade JD first ok
    Last edited by Swiharts Ghost; 08-03-2020 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noles_1335 View Post
    That is a "what if the sky fell" trade. Not happening. He is untouchable. That is a guy you try to lock up for 10 years.

The first thing we need to do is figure out the core that we keep and build around.

Second, never trade home grown players.

Third, unload anybody else that is on an expiring contract or we can get value in return for,

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    The first thing we need to do is figure out the core that we keep and build around.

Second, never trade home grown players.

Third, unload anybody else that is on an expiring contract or we can get value in return for,
    Not a philosophy that Bloom subscribes to.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by Swiharts Ghost View Post
    What would Evoldi and JD fetch ? That’s my trade ..Who’s system do we look at ? Whiitesox ? Pads ? Back to the Dodgers for Graterol ? Plus ?
    Dodgers don't need Eovaldi. Padres are in a constant rebuild and I don't think Eovaldi puts them over the top. White Sox are a year or two away. I don't think they want Eovaldi right now.

I realize I do not always understand the subtleties of business, but I do not understand the theory: "let's improve. And let's begin that process by getting rid of our most productive employees." This seems to me no more comprehensible that the 80s mantra which a number of us suffered through when bosses and administrators hit us with the koan-like principle: Less is more! (justifying increased work loads, lower salaries, and fewer jobs).
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    I realize I do not always understand the subtleties of business, but I do not understand the theory: "let's improve. And let's begin that process by getting rid of our most productive employees." This seems to me no more comprehensible that the 80s mantra which a number of us suffered through when bosses and administrators hit us with the koan-like principle: Less is more! (justifying increased work loads, lower salaries, and fewer jobs).
    The theory is to get rid of the expensive contracts before their value goes under water. Plus, if you can move someone at the height of their trade value, you may be able to derive more future value from another team (controllable assets). The first part is money. The second part is managing your prospect pipeline.