Register now to remove this ad

Page 69 of 76 FirstFirst ... 19596768697071 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,035 of 1137

Thread: 2020 Trade Deadline

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Move on from veterans such as JBJ. I too rather see someone fresh, young such as Duran. I want to see his speed.
    I'm JBJ's biggest fan, but I agree.

Move on.

I'm not all that high on Duran, but I'd like to see him get a shot at showing what he's got. Maybe we sign a couple 1 year OF'ers to give us a chance to see what Duran has and put off the OF decisions for another year.

I am also going to be watching the progress of Jimenez & Rosario. To me, they might be our OF future more than Duran. It's just that Duran is way more closer to being ML ready.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

You won’t see Duran until May either. And outside of his dominance of High A, has not shown the ability to thrive at the higher levels. Duran needs to show that he can put the bat on the ball so he can use his best attribute.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    You won’t see Duran until May either. And outside of his dominance of High A, has not shown the ability to thrive at the higher levels. Duran needs to show that he can put the bat on the ball so he can use his best attribute.
    His high A numbers were not as great as they appeared, either.

He has a lot to prove, IMO.

Yes, he has great speed, but is it smart speed? Is he a great defender? Does he have good base-running instincts? Does he use his speed for anything more than a bunch of infield hits?

I, honestly, don't know.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    His high A numbers were not as great as they appeared, either.

He has a lot to prove, IMO.

Yes, he has great speed, but is it smart speed? Is he a great defender? Does he have good base-running instincts? Does he use his speed for anything more than a bunch of infield hits?

I, honestly, don't know.
    He has glowing reports and we will need an outfielder. Why not at least give him the opportunity. Too much nay saying on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    He has glowing reports and we will need an outfielder. Why not at least give him the opportunity. Too much nay saying on the board.
    I said he deserves a look. That doesn't mean I have to have false hopes.

The "glowing reports" have not moved him into any top 100 prospects lists. He certainly is promising, and you can't teach speed, so he has some nice skills. His "great season" in low A ball was aided by a likely unsustainable high BAbip. Let's give him some time in AA and AAA before we start counting on him to make the team, let along help us win in 2021. He is more likely someone that might help by 2022.

I'm not giving up on him. I may have lower expectations than others, here, on him, but I know I like guys like Ward, Jimenez and other more than others, so I don't see myself as a Sox prospect naysayer.

Here is soxprospects.com summation of Jaren Duran:

Summation: Potential fringe starting outfielder with two carrying tools. Ceiling of an everyday center fielder. Nailing down his future projection is tough without a chance to evaluate swing changes made in 2020 without true game action. Speed is not a question, and hit tool should get to above-average if he can refine his approach. If 2020 power development is real, he could become a dynamic offensive player. Has already shown strong ability to make contact and drive the ball into the gaps. With his speed, has the potential to put a lot of pressure on the defense and inflate his average with infield singles and slugging by taking extra bases. Could also steal 30-plus bases if he improves his instincts. Is still continuing to develop in center field, but likely to develop into at least an average defender there and has the raw tools to become an above-average defender. Has one surefire major league impact tool in his speed, so should have a role on a major league roster even in the worst-case scenario, especially if MLB retains the runner-on-second rule in extra innings going forward.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 09-19-2020 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I said he deserves a look. That doesn't mean I have to have false hopes.

The "glowing reports" have not moved him into any top 100 prospects lists. He certainly is promising, and you can't teach speed, so he has some nice skills. His "great season" in low A ball was aided by a likely unsustainable high BAbip. Let's give him some time in AA and AAA before we start counting on him to make the team, let along help us win in 2021. He is more likely someone that might help by 2022.

I'm not giving up on him. I may have lower expectations than others, here, on him, but I know I like guys like Ward, Jimenez and other more than others, so I don't see myself as a Sox prospect naysayer.

Here is soxprospects.com summation of Jaren Duran:

Summation: Potential fringe starting outfielder with two carrying tools. Ceiling of an everyday center fielder. Nailing down his future projection is tough without a chance to evaluate swing changes made in 2020 without true game action. Speed is not a question, and hit tool should get to above-average if he can refine his approach. If 2020 power development is real, he could become a dynamic offensive player. Has already shown strong ability to make contact and drive the ball into the gaps. With his speed, has the potential to put a lot of pressure on the defense and inflate his average with infield singles and slugging by taking extra bases. Could also steal 30-plus bases if he improves his instincts. Is still continuing to develop in center field, but likely to develop into at least an average defender there and has the raw tools to become an above-average defender. Has one surefire major league impact tool in his speed, so should have a role on a major league roster even in the worst-case scenario, especially if MLB retains the runner-on-second rule in extra innings going forward.
    In watching Duran play last summer, one thing I noticed is how little feel he has for fly balls hit to the outfield.

Bradley is usually moving to the correct spot before the ball leaves the bat.

Duran waits a while before moving and that just shows his inexperience in the outfield.

Another thing I noticed is that Duran has a bit of a pop gun arm.

So while the hit tool and the speed are advanced, he is not a finished product.

I doubt he starts 2021 in Boston. But I like his potential if he continues to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Bloom seem to be doing a fine job getting the max out of each trade.
    So far, so good.

The real work is going to come this offseason (and the over the next couple of years.)

I would happily bring JBJ back on a team friendly deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Bloom seems to really like him. We'll see.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Another reason to like Bloom.

Deity
    But does Bloom like Boras?

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Does that mean $10M/2 or $13M/2?

I don't think I'd go over $5M a year. I'd like to see what Pillar gets offered.

I think John Henry likes him. And that counts for quite a bit.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    He should get an opportunity, but the best idea is proably not to make him Plan A in April. If he fails, then what?

Whereas if the Sox bring in some Bradley/Pillar/Taylor type player to start the season in CF and then give Duran a shot, they always have the otpion of demoting Duran and going back to Bradley/Pillar/Taylor. Remember, even Mike Trout was not just handed the job, and struggled in his first call up before being demoted. So expecting more immediately from Duran is probably (re: definitely) a bad idea...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    He should get an opportunity, but the best idea is proably not to make him Plan A in April. If he fails, then what?

Whereas if the Sox bring in some Bradley/Pillar/Taylor type player to start the season in CF and then give Duran a shot, they always have the otpion of demoting Duran and going back to Bradley/Pillar/Taylor. Remember, even Mike Trout was not just handed the job, and struggled in his first call up before being demoted. So expecting more immediately from Duran is probably (re: definitely) a bad idea...
    I would not base our OF plans on Duran playing at all on the big club in 2021. If ends up earning a shot, great, but if we want to win in 2021, we need at add 2 Of'ers to our roster: CF and 4th OF'er.