Register now to remove this ad

Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 256573747576 LastLast
Results 1,111 to 1,125 of 1137

Thread: 2020 Trade Deadline

I think counting Sale, ERod and Eovaldi as 1.5 SP'ers in 2021 is reasonable.

Add 1 for Perez and we're at 2.5 out of 5.

Maybe count Pivetta and Houck as 1 or 1.5 might be overly optimistic.

I'd be happy,if we added two solid and durable SP'ers, but we surely need one.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I just said what I think he's worth. His risk of never playing again lowers his value.

Price lost millions, this year because of COVID by choice-unlike ERod, but ERod got $8.3M for not pitching at all, this year..
    What are you trying to say about Price vs. E-Rod?

Note: E-Rod got the pro-rated portion of 8.3, not the 8.3.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Legend

Mata may fill a starting role as early as June, but the team needs at least 6 starting pitchers on the roster and probably more over a 162 game season. D-Hern may get a look so there are options, but we do need at least one quality SP through FA. Trust in Bloom to find him.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Mata may fill a starting role as early as June, but the team needs at least 6 starting pitchers on the roster and probably more over a 162 game season. D-Hern may get a look so there are options, but we do need at least one quality SP through FA. Trust in Bloom to find him.
    I don't believe DHern has a shot at starting. I think the Sox will look elsewhere to fill out the rotation in 2021.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I don't believe DHern has a shot at starting. I think the Sox will look elsewhere to fill out the rotation in 2021.
    His control is so bad sometimes, he creates the distinct possibility of reaching his pitch count limit before the second inning is over...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    His control is so bad sometimes, he creates the distinct possibility of reaching his pitch count limit before the second inning is over...
    Much easier to just pull a reliever after 3 guys then to pull a starter early on.

Good stuff Moon...

I think the day is here that no starting pitcher should complain to the team about having plethora of starting pitchers...

Can you imagine Eovaldi complaining "hey want to be traded to a team that has less starting pitchers". Sox..."Shut the fuck up. It's because of guys like you that we have to carry 7 starters. We're paying you $17M to be the insurance policy. And why do you care? We're prolonging your career."

Don't worry, I'm not giving up my day job for writing novels.

Per MassLive...Exciting Stuff

Red Sox rumors: Boston could sign ‘a couple of free agent pitchers’ this winter; Trevor Bauer, Marcus Stroman, Taijuan Walker among top options (report)

The Red Sox “have the money to sign a couple of free-agent pitchers” this winter, according to Peter Gammons of The Athletic. Gammons also notes that top pitching prospect Bryan Mata could make the major-league rotation by June.

Boston’s rotation is in a little bit of flux heading into 2021, as lefties Chris Sale (Tommy John surgery) and Eduardo Rodriguez (heart ailment caused by COVID-19) might not be ready for Opening Day. Righty Nathan Eovaldi and lefty Martin Perez are expected to be back, and righties Tanner Houck and Nick Pivetta have each impressed in their first outings with the club.

Though the club’s internal options do have promise, it’s likely chief baseball officer Chaim Bloom looks to add proven arms via free agency or trade before Opening Day. Earlier this month, Bloom said the club would be aggressive in its search for pitching.

“I think we have to be,” Bloom said on WEEI’s The Greg Hill Show.. “I don’t say that to disrespect anybody that we have, but clearly, you look at the results and you look at how it has gone, and it’s not something you can have if you expect to have a winning season. There’s no question. I don’t think I’m breaking news by saying that.”

On the free-agent market, there is one clear high-end option -- Reds righty Trevor Bauer -- followed by a list of arms that are less attractive for various reasons. Marcus Stroman, Taijuan Walker, Masahiro Tanaka, Mike Minor, Robbie Ray, Jake Odorizzi, James Paxton and Cole Hamels will all be available, but virtually all of them dealt with injuries or struggles in 2020.

According to Gammons, the Red Sox have high hopes for Mata, who has impressed club decision-makers with a strong summer at the alternate training site in Pawtucket.

“Their best pitching prospect, 21-year old Bryan Mata, was consistently 97-99 mph in Pawtucket, and if he continues to improve his command, might be in the rotation by June,” Gammons wrote. “In addition, coming off Tommy John surgery, one of the most impressive pitchers in their alternate site was another former first-rounder, Jason Groome, whose velocity crept back into the mid-90s with his Max Fried-esque curveball and athletic delivery, and who is now a mid-2022 hope with a high ceiling.”

Related links:

Boston Red Sox will be aggressive in search for pitching this winter, Chaim Bloom says: ‘I don’t think I’m breaking news by saying that

Nick Pivetta, Tanner Houck showing early signs that Boston Red Sox rotation could bounce back quickly in 2021

Both Bauer and Stroman turn 30 next year. I think Bauer is kinda overrated TBH. I think both will get really massive contracts and I'm not sure at this point if I'd want either. Maybe I'd grab Stroman because he'll be cheaper and maybe less years?

Here's the complete list of who could be available:

Brett Anderson (33)
    Chase Anderson (33) – $9.5MM club option with a $500K buyout
    Chris Archer (32) – $11MM club option with a $250K buyout
    Jake Arrieta (35)
    Homer Bailey (35)
    Trevor Bauer (30)
    Trevor Cahill (33)
    Jhoulys Chacin (33)
    Tyler Chatwood (31)
    Anthony DeSclafani (31)
    Robbie Erlin (30)
    Mike Fiers (36)
    Kevin Gausman (30)
    Gio Gonzalez (35) — $7MM club option with a $500K buyout
    Cole Hamels (37)
    J.A. Happ (38) — $17MM vesting option
    Rich Hill (41)
    Merrill Kelly (32) — $4.25MM club option with a $500K buyout
    Corey Kluber (35) — $17.5MM club option with a $1MM buyout
    Mike Leake (33) — $18MM mutual option with a $5MM buyout
    Wade LeBlanc (36)
    Jon Lester (37) — $25MM mutual/vesting option with a $10MM buyout
    Tommy Milone (34)
    Mike Minor (33)
    Matt Moore (32)
    Charlie Morton (37) — $15MM vesting option
    Jimmy Nelson (32) — $2MM club option (can become $9MM mutual option based on innings total)
    Ivan Nova (34)
    Jake Odorizzi (31)
    James Paxton (32)
    Martin Perez (30) — $6.25MM club option with a $500K buyout
    Rick Porcello (32)
    Jose Quintana (32)
    Robbie Ray (29)
    Garrett Richards (33)
    Tyson Ross (34)
    Jeff Samardzija (36)
    Anibal Sanchez (37) — $12MM club option with a $2MM buyout
    Matt Shoemaker (34)
    Drew Smyly (32)
    Marcus Stroman (30)
    Masahiro Tanaka (32)
    Julio Teheran (30)
    Michael Wacha (29)
    Adam Wainwright (39)
    Taijuan Walker (28)
    Alex Wood (30)
    Jordan Zimmermann (35)

Legend
    Righthander Taijuan Walker, who is only 28 years old, has an ERA of 2.86 and an ERA+ of 152 in 10 starts this season:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...alketa01.shtml

Wallker has an ERA of 1.54 in five starts in the soft AL East this year.

What kind of contract would land Walker?

Does it make more sense to go cheaper and grab a few guys like Archer/Gausman/Porcello/Ray?

Does it make more sense to go cheaper and grab a few guys like Archer/Gausman/Porcello/Ray?
    Good question. I'd like for Bloom to have flexibility in coming years and not become bloated with long term contracts that go south.

It's unfortunate but we can get a quality major league player with Dustin's $13M contract. Bloom has to stay away from non performing contracts. Not sure how you do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Good question. I'd like for Bloom to have flexibility in coming years and not become bloated with long term contracts that go south.

It's unfortunate but we can get a quality major league player with Dustin's $13M contract. Bloom has to stay away from non performing contracts. Not sure how you do that.
    Pick up a contract like the Rays (under Bloom) did with Charlie Morton. Find the guy whose value exceeds or equals the contract. I think signing Bauer will be an overpay for what he'll bring to the staff. He's a guy you get if you're on the brink of being a WS contender. The Sox aren't there right now.

Legend
    In 11 starts this year Rick Porcello is 1-6 with an ERA of 5.46 but with a FIP of 3.15 while posting 1.7 fWAR, the 23rd best in baseball this season:

https://www.fangraphs.com/players/ri...ats?position=P

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.as...date=&enddate=

Porcello could be an interesting get.

Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Righthander Taijuan Walker, who is only 28 years old, has an ERA of 2.86 and an ERA+ of 152 in 10 starts this season:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/p...alketa01.shtml

Wallker has an ERA of 1.54 in five starts in the soft AL East this year.

What kind of contract would land Walker?
    I don't know, but he seems like an interesting possibility.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.