Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 76 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1137

Thread: 2020 Trade Deadline

  1. #1

    2020 Trade Deadline

    If the season makes it to August 31st, who do the Red Sox try to trade?

    J.D.? I would offer him a couple million more on his last two seasons with no opt outs. If he turns it down, trade him.

    JBJ: Trade him.

    Bennintendi: Won't get much if he isn't hitting. He's cheap now. Keep him and hope he figures it out.

    Barnes: Trade him

    Workman: Trade him

    Moreland: Trade him

    Only untouchables are Bogie, Devers and E-Rod.

  2. #2
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    28,321
    I wouldn't trade JD or Eovaldi either. I'd want to keep those two plus Bogie, Devers and E-Rod. A tiny core to build around for 2021 and 2022.

    E-Rod is actually a free agent after 2021, so that's a bit of an issue.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    Theme song of 2020 Red Sox: "Tanks for the Memories"

  3. #3
    ERod has a heart issue. He is not tradeable at the moment
    The rebuild is complete.

  4. #4
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    38,664
    JBJ would have no takers because his salary is too high. Maybe the Sox eat a lot of it?

    It's more likely that they move Pillar.

    For Benintendi, you'd be selling low so it makes more sense to hold onto him.

    JD could possibly be traded, but it's a hard sell when you don't know what the NL will do about the DH long term. I don't think he opts out at any point.

    Barnes/Workman/Hembree/any other relief arm should be available. The only reliever I would not deal is DHern and maybe a young guy like Taylor.

    Moreland isn't going anywhere and I bet he re-signs here next year for another 1 year deal.

    I don't think anyone is untouchable (Xander, Raffy, whoever), but I don't believe there's a trade out there right now that would make it worthwhile to move them in season (considering that you can only trade for other teams' player pool guys).

    Peraza could probably be moved cheaply if he continues to hit.

    I can't think of many starting catchers that are moved during the season, so I don't think Vaz is going anywhere.

    They almost have to keep Martin Perez just to eat innings.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    <<< Most normal poster on Talksox

  5. #5
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    38,664
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    I wouldn't trade JD or Eovaldi either. I'd want to keep those two plus Bogie, Devers and E-Rod. A tiny core to build around for 2021 and 2022.

    E-Rod is actually a free agent after 2021, so that's a bit of an issue.
    I think the core is: Vaz, Bogey, Devers, Beni, Verdugo, ERod, Sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    <<< Most normal poster on Talksox

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    JBJ would have no takers because his salary is too high. Maybe the Sox eat a lot of it?

    It's more likely that they move Pillar.

    For Benintendi, you'd be selling low so it makes more sense to hold onto him.

    JD could possibly be traded, but it's a hard sell when you don't know what the NL will do about the DH long term. I don't think he opts out at any point.

    Barnes/Workman/Hembree/any other relief arm should be available. The only reliever I would not deal is DHern and maybe a young guy like Taylor.

    Moreland isn't going anywhere and I bet he re-signs here next year for another 1 year deal.

    I don't think anyone is untouchable (Xander, Raffy, whoever), but I don't believe there's a trade out there right now that would make it worthwhile to move them in season (considering that you can only trade for other teams' player pool guys).

    Peraza could probably be moved cheaply if he continues to hit.

    I can't think of many starting catchers that are moved during the season, so I don't think Vaz is going anywhere.

    They almost have to keep Martin Perez just to eat innings.
    The keys were handed to Bloom. Henry has influence, sure, but Bloom has the keys. Henry and Bloom need to sit down and assess the direction of the club. If they go full on rebuild with a pretty rough minor league system and a team that is full of broken down parts, then it would behoove them to deal off Devers and Bogey. There is no point in having 2 stars on your roster if your team finishes in the basement. It will also depend on how hard Henry wants to fight to keep Devers. Henry is the one who tried to sign Betts and he was not successful. You want a generational talent before through and unfortunately after prime, you have to pay them like one. Devers is a generational talent. He's a hitting master with power for days who will get better offensively. The issue you have with Devers that you didn't with Betts is that Devers has a very thick lower half and has the build of a guy who will get large long term and would end up at 1b. Do you want to bet on Devers as a 35-36-37 yr old being productive? Or will he turn into a Pujols or Cabrera? That is something they need to assess. Because the return for him would be enormous and if done correctly, could kick start the next dynasty. Remember, Bloom is okay with drafting, but is next level when it comes to dealing off All-Star talent.
    The rebuild is complete.

  7. #7
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    28,321
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I think the core is: Vaz, Bogey, Devers, Beni, Verdugo, ERod, Sale.
    Fair enough. I like JD and Eovaldi so I'm biased toward keeping them. I forgot Vaz. He's under control through 2022 fairly cheap, he's a must-keep.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    Theme song of 2020 Red Sox: "Tanks for the Memories"

  8. #8
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    28,321
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The keys were handed to Bloom. Henry has influence, sure, but Bloom has the keys. Henry and Bloom need to sit down and assess the direction of the club. If they go full on rebuild with a pretty rough minor league system and a team that is full of broken down parts, then it would behoove them to deal off Devers and Bogey. There is no point in having 2 stars on your roster if your team finishes in the basement. It will also depend on how hard Henry wants to fight to keep Devers. Henry is the one who tried to sign Betts and he was not successful. You want a generational talent before through and unfortunately after prime, you have to pay them like one. Devers is a generational talent. He's a hitting master with power for days who will get better offensively. The issue you have with Devers that you didn't with Betts is that Devers has a very thick lower half and has the build of a guy who will get large long term and would end up at 1b. Do you want to bet on Devers as a 35-36-37 yr old being productive? Or will he turn into a Pujols or Cabrera? That is something they need to assess. Because the return for him would be enormous and if done correctly, could kick start the next dynasty. Remember, Bloom is okay with drafting, but is next level when it comes to dealing off All-Star talent.
    Henry and Werner have assured the fans there would no full-on rebuild.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    Theme song of 2020 Red Sox: "Tanks for the Memories"

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Fair enough. I like JD and Eovaldi so I'm biased toward keeping them. I forgot Vaz. He's under control through 2022 fairly cheap, he's a must-keep.
    Same deal with Vaz as with Devers. You've got Vaz for less time than Devers. Vaz also plays a position that ages faster than others. If you are expecting title contention in 21-22, then you gotta keep him. If you are expecting to rebuild in 21-22, then deal him off. By 2023, he could be cooked physically
    The rebuild is complete.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Henry and Werner have assured the fans there would no full-on rebuild.
    Listen, I honestly hope they aren't blowing smoke. As a Yankee fan, I want the sox to avoid a full on rebuild. The timing of their farm with their team is completely out of sync. If the sox end up spending money to fix their issues, they'll be right back here needing to reset and with no titles in hand and likely still being a doormat. And they will be resetting when the Yanks reset, which means they wont take advantage of their window.
    The rebuild is complete.

  11. #11
    Deity Bellhorn04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    28,321
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Listen, I honestly hope they aren't blowing smoke. As a Yankee fan, I want the sox to avoid a full on rebuild. The timing of their farm with their team is completely out of sync. If the sox end up spending money to fix their issues, they'll be right back here needing to reset and with no titles in hand and likely still being a doormat. And they will be resetting when the Yanks reset, which means they wont take advantage of their window.
    I think Henry would let Bloom spend up to the tax threshold, but figures Bloom will spread that money around and not burn it on risky long-term deals.

    Just guessing of course.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

    Theme song of 2020 Red Sox: "Tanks for the Memories"

  12. #12
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    38,664
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The keys were handed to Bloom. Henry has influence, sure, but Bloom has the keys. Henry and Bloom need to sit down and assess the direction of the club. If they go full on rebuild with a pretty rough minor league system and a team that is full of broken down parts, then it would behoove them to deal off Devers and Bogey. There is no point in having 2 stars on your roster if your team finishes in the basement. It will also depend on how hard Henry wants to fight to keep Devers. Henry is the one who tried to sign Betts and he was not successful. You want a generational talent before through and unfortunately after prime, you have to pay them like one. Devers is a generational talent. He's a hitting master with power for days who will get better offensively. The issue you have with Devers that you didn't with Betts is that Devers has a very thick lower half and has the build of a guy who will get large long term and would end up at 1b. Do you want to bet on Devers as a 35-36-37 yr old being productive? Or will he turn into a Pujols or Cabrera? That is something they need to assess. Because the return for him would be enormous and if done correctly, could kick start the next dynasty. Remember, Bloom is okay with drafting, but is next level when it comes to dealing off All-Star talent.
    1. I don't believe Henry was a driving factor in signing Betts. I think he wanted to get under the cap more than anything else.

    2. I wouldn't give Devers a 10 year extension. I think you could safely do a 7 year extension sooner than later and keep him around for his prime. However, if Bloom can get a good return for Devers, he might as well (unless he believes he's going to compete in 2021 or 2022.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    <<< Most normal poster on Talksox

  13. #13
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    38,664
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Fair enough. I like JD and Eovaldi so I'm biased toward keeping them. I forgot Vaz. He's under control through 2022 fairly cheap, he's a must-keep.
    Eovaldi's injury history is what scares me off on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    <<< Most normal poster on Talksox

  14. #14
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    38,664
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Listen, I honestly hope they aren't blowing smoke. As a Yankee fan, I want the sox to avoid a full on rebuild. The timing of their farm with their team is completely out of sync. If the sox end up spending money to fix their issues, they'll be right back here needing to reset and with no titles in hand and likely still being a doormat. And they will be resetting when the Yanks reset, which means they wont take advantage of their window.
    I think the issue of resetting goes away in the next CBA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    <<< Most normal poster on Talksox

  15. #15
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    20,177
    If say the trade bait is:

    Bradley
    Pillar
    Workman
    Hembree
    Perez
    Moreland

    Realistically they all won’t be moved and probably won’t bring back much if anything, since many teams are going to be holding back. No point in going all in for a postseason that might never happen.

    Workman is the best piece. Followed by either Perez or Hembree. Pitchers, and especially relievers, historically seem to fetch better returns than position players.

    The Sox might try to move Martinez as well, as he can opt out anyway. And while his value as a free agent might not net him the salary ($19.38 million) he is owed over the next two years, he might be able to increase his years. If the NL retains the DH, his chances of opting out should go way up. So he certainly could be tradable. Not sure he brings back much, either, as a rental DH in a season where the playoffs are in jeopardy...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •