Register now to remove this ad

Page 18 of 76 FirstFirst ... 816171819202868 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Trade Deadline

Worst Red Sox team in last 40 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Cook View Post
    Hang’em Chaim’s trade of Betts and price was a purely financial move. And the wrong move!

His signing bargain basement dead arms was a purely financial move. And the wrong move!

But what is done is done!

The next real test is can hang’em Chaim use the trade deadline to improve next year’s team or farm system?
    Right now, the way the Red Sox are playing, there actually may not be a single player on the MLB roster that anyone will be willing to give up anything decent for. I'm serious; Bloom may actually have to think about dealing the Sox' top prospects -- Downs and/or Casas -- to get a minor league pitcher with the ceiling of a staff's #3 or #4 starter... that's MLB starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    One step at a time....let's get 60 games in and re-set the luxury tax.

Henry will spend money. He just wants to make sure we're spending it wisely.

We have 4 WS titles since 2004. Give the organization time to re-organize.

You still have dead weights such as Pedey. We have one more year after this one.

There are probably many players willing to sign a one year deal for 2021. New CB agreement comes into play for 2022.

Many players may wait to see what the true market will be beginning 2022.

Good news is Yankees payroll will get more expensive quickly. But if they win the whole thing, obviously they won't care.
    I think the luxury tax resets if they get to Sept. 1st.

Legend
    It was totally predictable that the string of games with the Rays and Yankees would go very badly and leave us with no chance of making the post season. We all knew that so the real story is what moves we can make to improve for 2021 and beyond. It has been discussed extensively but is maybe worth repeating. Admit the season is a lost cause and get the best out of the time going forward, starting tomorrow.

1. Be sure to reset the CBT so money can be spent going forward
    2. Bring up our best prospects, both field players and pitchers, and see if any will stick.
    3. Cut ties with players who we know we won't keep going forward. We know most of the names.
    4. Do the best job of trading for players to fill in our holes, particularly with pitchers and pitching prospects.
    5. We should get at least a couple of valuable draft picks. Use them wisely.
    6. Enter the FA market with the idea of young pitchers while realizing they are in short supply.
    7. Start the search for a quality young manager and for effective coaches.
    8. Redirect our minors to stress pitcher development
    9. Find and sign some mashers. Our lineup seems short of power hitters. Devers, JGM, Bogaerts, Vaz possibly Verdugo. and Moreland.

Repeat the process for the 2022 season, only keeping those individuals who show their worthiness. Perform or hit the road.

I believe Bloom has all these steps in mind and will not get us into ridiculous long term contracts where the risk exceeds the benefit.

Guys, if you don’t have the option of fans at your games, then this is the time to suck if you have to pick it. Business decision here. It’s a smart one.

If I were Bloom, I’d sell off everything. The Yanks will be dominant likely through 2022 before they start getting into the “cannot extend them all” phase. Devers is a FA after 2023, so maybe you keep him. Bogey is under contract, maybe you keep him. Or maybe everyone is up for grabs and you build a core that will be ready by 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm coming up on 50 years being an avid Sox fan. Betts is the best I've seen. It's a shame he's not still here, but it is what it is. I'd have paid him what the Dodgers did, but it wasn't a slam dunk choice to do so.

I hope bloom uses "that money" wisely. I think he will.

With all do respect.... what would you have been able to put around him at that point! In 2021 there will be no guarantee Sale comes back healthy( that pitching motion killed his elbow) and what would we had to have given Devers by then! The farm would still be garage and we might still be looking up at the O’s! This team needs a makeover and that very well may hurt some lifelong fans feelings to see the writing on the wall come to fruition! Again with all do respect

Bloom did the right thing with Betts. He would make this shit show better, but better enough to still not be a playoff team. Nothing kills a team more than mediocrity. Getting Verdugo for 5 seasons plus a top prospect in Downs while also moving on from Price and half his contract for two seasons was a steal.

The biggest thing Bloom can do now is blow this up. Maybe Devers and Bogey stay. Maybe you blow them all up. Maybe they ask to be dealt. Who knows. But building a rotation on the FA market isn’t smart. You don’t have the minor league prospects to deal for top notch pitching beyond Downs and maybe Casas. You need to restock the farm and start anew. If I was Bloom, project 2023 would be the goal.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Right now, the way the Red Sox are playing, there actually may not be a single player on the MLB roster that anyone will be willing to give up anything decent for. I'm serious; Bloom may actually have to think about dealing the Sox' top prospects -- Downs and/or Casas -- to get a minor league pitcher with the ceiling of a staff's #3 or #4 starter... that's MLB starter.
    Serious, but also nearsighted. The whole “the team is losing so every player stinks” is a mass oversimplification. So you’re saying no MLB team would want Bogaerts or Devers?

I expect the Sox to trade Workman and Barnes, and possibly Hembree. But that might be a bit much as the big obstacle will be how many teams want to make deals knowing the post season might be cancelled...

Mookirle would need 180 RBI in a 60 game season for this team to be competitive.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Cardinals playing a double header today. First game since July.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Serious, but also nearsighted. The whole “the team is losing so every player stinks” is a mass oversimplification. So you’re saying no MLB team would want Bogaerts or Devers?

I expect the Sox to trade Workman and Barnes, and possibly Hembree. But that might be a bit much as the big obstacle will be how many teams want to make deals knowing the post season might be cancelled...
    Not what I'm saying -- when I said it's improbable a team would give up anything decent right now, I was actually agreeing with you that a club like the Reds would refuse to swap their No. 3 starter for Bogaerts (even though both were stars last year).

Unless it's two also-rans blowing it up and tossing shrapnel at each other, it's just highly unlikely any new viable prospects will be here by the end of the month.
    Last edited by 5GoldGloves:OF,75; 08-15-2020 at 10:25 AM.

There are basically two ways to win big in baseball . 1 - You can obtain and develop enough young players until ( hopefully) they ripen into stars . 2- You can spend what it takes to acquire top talent through free agency and trades . Either method can succeed or fail . As a rule, method number two, spending , is more likely to win pennants and championships. However , it may not be as much fun for the armchair G.M.s.

Any team looking to deal isn’t looking for a rental these days. Remember, butts in seats and merchandise are very, very important. Well, no seats to sit in and merchandise has to be horribly low. That’s why I disagree that Bogaerts or Devers would return nothing. But here’s the biggest issue. There’s literally no minor leagues right now. No ebb and flow of development. No scouting of the alternate sites. Nothing. Aside from players on 28 man rosters, who would you deal for? Any SR on them is a year old, who knows if it’s accurate?

Bogaerts on a long term, reasonable contract is incredibly valuable. Devers, likewise, assuming he breaks out of his slump. These guys would bring back a haul that in 2019 time would be massive. Who knows if the 2020 haul would be worth it.

That’s why I can foresee a salary dump like Eovaldi. Maybe he performs well enough to be dumped off for next to nothing and the Sox just gets out from under his money

Legend
    I see that players can expect to get private jet service to their new teams when traded. Takes away one of the negatives.

No point in having these bubbles if you can deal a player and transport them with the masses