Register now to remove this ad

Page 72 of 76 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 1137

Thread: 2020 Trade Deadline

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    I think Dalbec and Houck are very likely, even if Houck is in middle/long relief role.

Chavis has shown himself to be nothing more than a role player and weakside platoon player. Not that there is no value in that, and he handles that role well, but I don't think he is in line for 600 PA. I think he has a bench role locked up if he is not traded.

It would be nice if Arroyo and/or Munoz could step in and take over 2B full time. But I would not count on it. I think either one of them can handle a utility INF role, but if the other one is not viewed as the 2B starter, there may be no room on the 25 man roster for him...
    Chavis is definitely a platoon/bench role for me. I'd just rather pay him minimal than grabbing a FA. I don't expect the other guys to necessarily be fulltime either. Maybe Munoz and Arroyo play hot potato with 2B. I think Arroyo takes Arauz' roster spot. I think Munoz is just a backup OF.

They still need to figure out who gets CF.

2B by committee?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I agree with this, and don't think they'll acquire enough new starting pitchers with the intent of bumping Houck out of the rotation. But I could see having back-ups ready in case he falters and needs to work out of the pen as he refines his arsenal.
    Bloom will definitely grab a bunch of AAAA back-ups. We saw that in how he built this year's pen. Will the results be similar?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Chavis is definitely a platoon/bench role for me. I'd just rather pay him minimal than grabbing a FA. I don't expect the other guys to necessarily be fulltime either. Maybe Munoz and Arroyo play hot potato with 2B. I think Arroyo takes Arauz' roster spot. I think Munoz is just a backup OF.

They still need to figure out who gets CF.

2B by committee?
    I figure on a 4 man bench. If Plawecki and Chavis take two spots, that leaves just two more for a utility INF capable of playing SS (unlike Chavis) and an OF. Munoz, Arroyo and Lin are in the running, possibly for one spot. Lin has the upper has the upper hand with the most OF experience, but Munoz has some corner OF exp. as well. But they might actually want a true outfielder who can play CF in an emergency.

Now they might give 2B to one of the, to asve money for other holes. But it is not a given and not necessarily a good idea.

Now if they deal Chavis, maybe the bench is Arroyo, Munoz and Lin along with Plawecki. But I have my doubts...

Deity
    Bloom will definitely grab a bunch of AAAA back-ups. We saw that in how he built this year's pen. Will the results be similar?
    I'm hoping he adds at least two experienced arms to the bullpen...

If Bloom chooses to go quantity over quality, we may have the ability to keep some prospects in the minors a little longer. Bloom seems to be good at finding lower paid players that perform better than expected. I'm not againts letting Bloom do his thing. With a 40 man roster that has 15-20 players that are "bubble types," I could see us signing 7-10 players that have a good chance of making the 26 man roster, and maybe a half dozen good minor league signings.

My philosophy is usually more towards quality over quantity, but with our roster depth so weak, this may be the time to add a lot of players. I'd still like to see us acquire a better-than-decent player or two this winter that would help us beyond 2021, and it's possible we do both.

If we decide to go more towards quality, it makes sense to determine what positions are the weakest while looking at what we have already that can possible fill those needs at an adequate or better-than-the-other guys filling in slots are. Here's how I view the slots we have open and who can fill-in or win the slots, next year:

Assuming Perez & Eovaldi are penciled into the rotation and maybe one from ERod and Sale fill another....
    (Not in order of biggest need)
    SP4: ______ (Pivetta)
    SP5: Pivetta/Houk ______
    SP6+: Seabold/Mata/Ward ______
    RP1: _______ (Barnes)
    RP2: _______ (DHern)
    RP5: _______ (Valdez)
    RP6: _______ (Brasier)
    CF: ________ (Duran/Wilson/Lin)
    2B: ________ (Arroyo/Chavis/Munoz/Lin/Arauz/Chatham/Downs)
    1B: ________ (Dalbec, Chavis)
    4th OF:______ (Duran/Wilsonm/Lin)

To me, the worst filli-ns we have are pitching and OF. I think we may put off signings at 2B and 1B until the summer or next winter, if nobody wins the job by then.

We sign 2 SP'ers and maybe some good minor league depth SP'ers
    We sign 3-4 RP'ers
    We sign a CF'er and 4th OF'er (maybe one that can play 1B or 2B, too)

That's 7-9 minimum that make the 26 man roster. (Sale starts on the IL.)
    SP1 _____
    SP2 Perez
    SP3 Eovaldi
    SP4 ERod
    SP5 _____
    SP6 Houck/Pivetta (Sale)

Closer ______
    RP2 ______
    RP3 Barnes
    RP4 DHern
    RP5 Taylor
    RP6 ______
    RP7 ______/Brasier

C Vazquez/Plawecki
    1B Dalbec/Chavis
    2B Arroyo/Munoz
    3B Devers
    SS Bogaerts
    LF: Benintendi
    CF: _______, _______
    RF: Verdugo
    DH: Martinez

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity

SP1 _____
    SP2 Perez
    SP3 Pivetta
    SP4 ERod
    SP5 _____
    SP6: Seabold

Closer Eovaldi
    RP2 ______
    RP3 Barnes
    RP4 DHern
    RP5 Taylor
    RP6 ______
    RP7 ______/Brasier

C Vazquez/Plawecki
    1B Dalbec/Chavis
    2B Arroyo/Munoz
    3B Devers
    SS Bogaerts
    LF: Benintendi
    CF: _______, _______
    RF: Verdugo
    DH: Martinez

How about this?

How about this?
    Could work.

$17M is a lot to spend on a closer, but if it can keep him healthy, fine with me.

I might want a 1 and 3 starter or 2 and 3, not a 1 and 5 starter.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    Could work.

$17M is a lot to spend on a closer, but if it can keep him healthy, fine with me.

I might want a 1 and 3 starter or 2 and 3, not a 1 and 5 starter.

I edited as quickly as possible paying no attention to the position of the starters...

Legend
    How about this?

I can't see leaving Houck off the list of starting pitchers after two very encouraging performances and another start to come.
    I would also add Valdez to the hopefuls for relief pitcher.
    Benintendi's end of 2019 and his short 2020 were trending down. Having him in the lineup could compromise the 2021 season. I would look for a replacement
    For CF, JBJ is showing an improved hitting skill and I would at least give him an option to return under a 2 year max team friendly contract. If not, look for a replacement (within or without)
    I think JDM is with us for 2 more years. If his skills have diminished as it seems then he could be a boat anchor holding back team competitiveness going forward.

We have Mata, Downs and Duran as top 10 prospects. One would hope they would be considered.

I assume that the current 40 man roster would be gutted of all those who haven't performed and hopefully we get something in return that can at least strengthen our prospect list, to go along with our young draftees.

I figure on a 4 man bench. If Plawecki and Chavis take two spots, that leaves just two more for a utility INF capable of playing SS (unlike Chavis) and an OF. Munoz, Arroyo and Lin are in the running, possibly for one spot. Lin has the upper has the upper hand with the most OF experience, but Munoz has some corner OF exp. as well. But they might actually want a true outfielder who can play CF in an emergency.

Now they might give 2B to one of the, to asve money for other holes. But it is not a given and not necessarily a good idea.

Now if they deal Chavis, maybe the bench is Arroyo, Munoz and Lin along with Plawecki. But I have my doubts...
    Lin has been horrible this season. I think he gets nontendered in the offseason.

I'm hoping he adds at least two experienced arms to the bullpen...
    2 sounds about right to me. Lots of AAAA filler too.

Deity
    Lin has been horrible this season. I think he gets nontendered in the offseason.
    I would consider that a very likely possibility, even if they bring him back on an MiLB contract. I only mention him as a possibility because he has the singular advantage of already being here...

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post

I can't see leaving Houck off the list of starting pitchers after two very encouraging performances and another start to come.
    Best case scenario for the rotation by the end of 2021, barring a free agent signing, I think is:

1. E-Rod (I really hope that he's able to come back)
    2. Sale (returns midway through 2021 right?)
    3. Perez
    4. Eovaldi
    5. Houck

If Pivetta can force his way into the group, fine, but I'm not sold on the guy.

I do hope we make at least one significant starting pitching pick up in the offseason, because the worst case scenario is E-Rod is gone, Sale never gets back to what he was, Eovaldi spends 2/3 the season on the IL, the league figures out Houck and he never makes it, etc. Reality will likely be somewhere in between those two extremes.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by kenmeister View Post
    Best case scenario for the rotation by the end of 2021, barring a free agent signing, I think is:

1. E-Rod (I really hope that he's able to come back)
    2. Sale (returns midway through 2021 right?)
    3. Perez
    4. Eovaldi
    5. Houck

If Pivetta can force his way into the group, fine, but I'm not sold on the guy.

I do hope we make at least one significant starting pitching pick up in the offseason, because the worst case scenario is E-Rod is gone, Sale never gets back to what he was, Eovaldi spends 2/3 the season on the IL, the league figures out Houck and he never makes it, etc. Reality will likely be somewhere in between those two extremes.

Pivetta does have the advantage over Houck in that he has pitched as many as 164 IP at the MLB level in a season. Houck has never pitched more than 119 IP in a season, and that was in High A ball. Houck only has 119 carer IP above A ball. Expecting him to pitch 130-150 IP in MLB seems like a major stretch in 2021...

I would consider that a very likely possibility, even if they bring him back on an MiLB contract. I only mention him as a possibility because he has the singular advantage of already being here...
    Munoz and Arroyo are already here too.