Register now to remove this ad

Page 10 of 76 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Trade Deadline

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    In 2021, maybe Downs can get a full season of AA ball. 2020 was always going to be a tank job. But if we look forward to 2021, does it make sense for Chavis to be part of the team? Same for Dalbec and Moreland.

Chavis isn’t a platoon option at 2b or 1b if we don’t get the LHH players at those position(s) to platoon with.
    Moreland will be the LHH platoon at 1b next year. He's a cheap, solid veteran.

Chavis hasn't played any 2b so far this year. I wonder if they just don't see him there long term. I'm not sure Chavis has shown me enough to even qualify him as an adequate platoon guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Moreland will be the LHH platoon at 1b next year. He's a cheap, solid veteran.

Chavis hasn't played any 2b so far this year. I wonder if they just don't see him there long term. I'm not sure Chavis has shown me enough to even qualify him as an adequate platoon guy.
    If Moreland returns and Chavis is out at 2b, either Chavis or Dalbec is redundant...

If Moreland returns and Chavis is out at 2b, either Chavis or Dalbec is redundant...
    Yes, Chavis is redundant.

Deity
    Yes, Chavis is redundant.
    One of them could and probably should be gone before next season. Chavis has the disadvantage in that we’ve seen his weaknesses, but that does not mean Dalbec doesn’t have them as well, and possibly to a greater extent.

I think Dalbec might make more sense to deal and Chavis makes for the better role player...

One of them could and probably should be gone before next season. Chavis has the disadvantage in that we’ve seen his weaknesses, but that does not mean Dalbec doesn’t have them as well, and possibly to a greater extent.

I think Dalbec might make more sense to deal and Chavis makes for the better role player...
    I don't think either has a ton of trade value TBH. Dealing Dalbec for a middle reliever when he could turn out to be Joey Gallo doesn't seem ideal. Dalbec is also more athletic and could move back to 3b if they wanted him to. Shit, maybe they hand him an OF glove this offseason to back up LF.

Chavis has enough options where you can just send him to AAA for the next few years and stick around in case of injury.

Even as the team continues to lose, fans should expect to see more of the trade bait players showcased. It won't be as palatable as watching prospects with an eye on the future, but the return in deals will hopefully net more potential.

After the deadline, we might see call-ups, as well as regular playing time for guys like Verdugo (who should never be platooned) and Arauz.

Deity
    I don't think either has a ton of trade value TBH. Dealing Dalbec for a middle reliever when he could turn out to be Joey Gallo doesn't seem ideal. Dalbec is also more athletic and could move back to 3b if they wanted him to. Shit, maybe they hand him an OF glove this offseason to back up LF.
    Dalbec is a good 3b, but the Gallo comps might be premature. While he could spot at 1b or in the OF, is he more valuable as a backup than the arm he might bring back?

Dalbec is a good 3b, but the Gallo comps might be premature. While he could spot at 1b or in the OF, is he more valuable as a backup than the arm he might bring back?
    I didn't say he definitely will be Gallo, just that he has that profile. I think he'd be a better platoon split at 1b than Chavis.

I'm not sure the arm he'd bring back would be anything to write home about.

I didn't say he definitely will be Gallo, just that he has that profile. I think he'd be a better platoon split at 1b than Chavis.

Dalbec's trade value has probably taken a hit -- or at least stalled -- with no minors and development this summer (as opposed to if, say, he hit 30 homers at Triple A). But as a sight-unseen prospect, is he worth more than Chavis, who has hit bombs in the bigs and been exploited by MLB advance scouting and pitching?

Deity

Dalbec is a guy with high power but high K’s who can’t bring back anything good and is at best a platoon split? Why not trade him?

I think unless the Sox move him to the OF, he’s probably more valuable in a trade than a weak side platoon player. Especially since the Sox already have Chavis...

Dalbec is a guy with high power but high K’s who can’t bring back anything good and is at best a platoon split? Why not trade him?

I think unless the Sox move him to the OF, he’s probably more valuable in a trade than a weak side platoon player. Especially since the Sox already have Chavis...
    I think he has solid upside and fits a need on this team. I think the pitcher you'd get in return would not all that good. I like the lottery ticket aspect of Dalbec.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Dalbec's trade value has probably taken a hit -- or at least stalled -- with no minors and development this summer (as opposed to if, say, he hit 30 homers at Triple A). But as a sight-unseen prospect, is he worth more than Chavis, who has hit bombs in the bigs and been exploited by MLB advance scouting and pitching?
    I think Chavis has substantial injury concerns which really hurts his trade value. On the open market, I'd guess that teams would prefer Dalbec.

Deity
    I think he has solid upside and fits a need on this team. I think the pitcher you'd get in return would not all that good. I like the lottery ticket aspect of Dalbec.
    It’s impossible for me to know anything, but baseballtradevalues.com has the values for Chavis and Dalbec as nearly equal, and both about the same as Adam Civale

It’s impossible for me to know anything, but baseballtradevalues.com has the values for Chavis and Dalbec as nearly equal, and both about the same as Adam Civale
    If you ignore Chavis' injury concerns (he's never played a full season professionally), I'd agree that the trade value would probably be a toss up between the two.