Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 401 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2021: Part I

0-162
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    0-162
    Nice to see some optimism about playing a full season.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    If the Sox reset, will they care about being under?
    I'd say no, but if they view the rebuild as a two year thing, they may end up under, next year.

It also may depend on what free agents are available, and if they view their price tags as worthy.

I think they will go large this winter, and Bllom may have a mandate to stay under the second luxury tax level, which I think is $20M over. That would give us close to $90M to spend- maybe $80-85 to keep some room for the deadline.

$85M could maybe be spent like this:

$28M SP
    $18M Closer
    $17M SP
    $10M RP
    $8M CF
    $4M SP

Or, we try to get Bauer & Springer and fill-ins for the rest.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Nice to see some optimism about playing a full season.
    LOL.

Finding optimism in 0-162. I like it.
    Sox 4 Ever

Marcus semian Trevor Bauer ? Maybe replace Benny with Puig at Fenway .I get Puig is a triangle inside a sphere inside a cone done care .

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    If the Sox reset, will they care about being under?
    If the Sox don't see a legitimate chance to compete in 2021, why set the CBT running again? Make improvements that can be made for $70 mil (or so) and save the plunge for the following year, when we may be back competing for a run in the post season. That said, I do expect big changes and substantial improvement next season. I'm. A month o still hoping management will bring up our most ready prospects to see what they can do. There will be a month of PT after the trade deadline and we could see vacancies open up on the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    If the Sox don't see a legitimate chance to compete in 2021, why set the CBT running again? Make improvements that can be made for $70 mil (or so) and save the plunge for the following year, when we may be back competing for a run in the post season. That said, I do expect big changes and substantial improvement next season. I'm. A month o still hoping management will bring up our most ready prospects to see what they can do. There will be a month of PT after the trade deadline and we could see vacancies open up on the roster.
    I agree.

I do think we'll at least get close to the tax limit in 2021. We do want fans to be in the seats and people watching on NESN.

It might make more sense to hold off on the tax for one more year, but we could still spend big on players who will be under team control beyond 2021. We could also free up some salary by trading JD or other big ticket players that don't look to be part of our longer term plans (2022 and beyond). For example, we could trade JD & Eovalid and sign Bauer and Springer. We'd still be way under the tax, so we could add a few mid level players, which is what Bloom may be best at acquiring. Then, go large again after 2021 and go $19.9M over the tax,
    Sox 4 Ever

I agree.

I do think we'll at least get close to the tax limit in 2021. We do want fans to be in the seats and people watching on NESN.

It might make more sense to hold off on the tax for one more year, but we could still spend big on players who will be under team control beyond 2021. We could also free up some salary by trading JD or other big ticket players that don't look to be part of our longer term plans (2022 and beyond). For example, we could trade JD & Eovalid and sign Bauer and Springer. We'd still be way under the tax, so we could add a few mid level players, which is what Bloom may be best at acquiring. Then, go large again after 2021 and go $19.9M over the tax,
    I prefer we go with mid level free agents until we're ready to compete. What I don't want is 2 big signings and still have a bad team and be stuck again with 2 losing contracts.

Hmm...

The Red Sox are set to add first base prospect Triston Casas to their 60-man player pool, Chris Cotillo of MassLive.com reports. He’ll head to their alternate site. As Cotillo notes, Boston’s pool is at capacity, so it’ll have to make a corresponding move once Casas is officially part of it.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I prefer we go with mid level free agents until we're ready to compete. What I don't want is 2 big signings and still have a bad team and be stuck again with 2 losing contracts.
    Not a bad idea, but if we see someone we think is the real deal, and looks better than any FAs from the following year, we may want to pounce on one.
    Sox 4 Ever

LOL.

Finding optimism in 0-162. I like it.
    In watching the SOX during the next couple of years, the optimism/pessimism question will be "is the whiskey bottle half full or half empty?"
    Last edited by SPLENDIDSPLINTER; 08-18-2020 at 11:58 PM.

It's pretty optimistic of me to even imply that there actually may be "the next couple of years."

Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    It's pretty optimistic of me to even imply that there actually may be "the next couple of years."
    We'll be in the playoffs by 2022, if the virus or climate hasn't done us in by then.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Well of course you see no chance to compete in 2021 now. But maybe once some moves are made and people are healthy and we know what the team looks like. I imagine people were making similar statements in 2012...

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SPLENDIDSPLINTER View Post
    In watching the SOX during the next couple of years, the optimism/pessimism question will be "is the whiskey bottle half full or half empty?"
    Take another drink and solve the conundrum.