Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 401 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: A Realistic View at 2021: Part I

It's important to note that the team with the worst record this year will not automatically have the first pick in the next draft.

They're going to be using a formula based on teams' records for 2019 and 2020.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

That’s not written in stone. From what I’ve read, the MLBPA granted the commish the right to alter the 2021 draft if the season was less than 81 games. As to how it’s altered, nothing tangible. The most likely scenario is not an alteration of draft order but a shortening of the draft to 20 rounds

Deity
    Great timing and a dynamite OP by moonslav. oldtimer is right to applaud him.

Almost everyone on talksox is way ahead of me on figuring what to do about 2021 in terms of deals and players.

Having said that, it is a no-brainer to say that the pitching must be fixed. I'm a believer that bad pitching is bad in itself--by giving up those runs (and the Sox ERA is now comfortably last in MLB)--and also bad psychologically because the lineup players all know no runs are enough, ditto great defensive plays, stolen bases, whatever.

That said, the recent experience with DD and the commentary on talksox have convinced me that no fix, no matter how clearly needed, will be easy.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    That’s not written in stone. From what I’ve read, the MLBPA granted the commish the right to alter the 2021 draft if the season was less than 81 games. As to how it’s altered, nothing tangible. The most likely scenario is not an alteration of draft order but a shortening of the draft to 20 rounds
    Not sure the draft order matters as much as the 2020 draft will be the bigest crapshoot in drafting history. MLB drafts are inherently that way to begin with, but now with the additional factor of no college and high school seasons, making the most recent scouting reports 12 months old minimum...

2021 draft order will matter a TON to you in 2021. If they don’t alter the rules, I think the sox are going to be the 2nd team selecting

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    Great timing and a dynamite OP by moonslav. oldtimer is right to applaud him.

Almost everyone on talksox is way ahead of me on figuring what to do about 2021 in terms of deals and players.

Having said that, it is a no-brainer to say that the pitching must be fixed. I'm a believer that bad pitching is bad in itself--by giving up those runs (and the Sox ERA is now comfortably last in MLB)--and also bad psychologically because the lineup players all know no runs are enough, ditto great defensive plays, stolen bases, whatever.

That said, the recent experience with DD and the commentary on talksox have convinced me that no fix, no matter how clearly needed, will be easy.
    Good to see you here, Maz.

Yes, pitching, pitching and then, more pitching.

The return of Sale may help late 2021 or 2022. ERod and Eovaldi may help.

A major pick-up should happen this winter or next summer/winter- maybe 2.

We have 4-6 gaping holes for 2021, but we also have $70-90M to spend and Pedey's deal going away, soon.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Not sure the draft order matters as much as the 2020 draft will be the bigest crapshoot in drafting history. MLB drafts are inherently that way to begin with, but now with the additional factor of no college and high school seasons, making the most recent scouting reports 12 months old minimum...
    It might be a bigger crap shoot than normally, but it has to help to be picking 1-3 in every round.
    Sox 4 Ever

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Good to see you here, Maz.

Yes, pitching, pitching and then, more pitching.

The return of Sale may help late 2021 or 2022. ERod and Eovaldi may help.

A major pick-up should happen this winter or next summer/winter- maybe 2.

We have 4-6 gaping holes for 2021, but we also have $70-90M to spend and Pedey's deal going away, soon.
    Your mentioning Pedroia reminds me that we should not add sentimentality to the equation when giving contracts. If a guy was good at one time, but now past his prime, get rid of him. Hard to do with a respected player, but it is in the best interest of the team.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Your mentioning Pedroia reminds me that we should not add sentimentality to the equation when giving contracts. If a guy was good at one time, but now past his prime, get rid of him. Hard to do with a respected player, but it is in the best interest of the team.
    There is no way to get rid of Pedroia....

Deity
    Sox claimed former Giant Andrew Triggs.

Triggs looked promising 4-5 years ago, but he’s been injured a lot. He’s had thoracic outlet syndrome, which is the same injury that all but ended the career of Tyler Thornburg...

There is no way to get rid of Pedroia....
    The guy earned the contract he was offered and that he signed (which turned out to be like half of his contemporary, Cano's). Pedroia's a Boston all-timer; he just had bad luck.

If only he was the size of more durable players like Stanton or Judge...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    The guy earned the contract he was offered and that he signed (which turned out to be like half of his contemporary, Cano's). Pedroia's a Boston all-timer; he just had bad luck.

If only he was the size of more durable players like Stanton or Judge...
    I agree. I was surprised how many people think he should retire so as to help the Sox payroll. Hey, they promised it him. He has every right to sit back and collect...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Bloom: “A lot of work to do”. That’s an understatement.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...am-lot-work-do
    Oh please. We’ve seen this show before.

New GM drafts carefully and signs top young prospects and makes shrewd deals to horde more elite young talent. Henry gets frustrated by team performance at MLB level and fires New GM, and then brings in trusty veteran GM who guts everything for a quickie title and departs, leaving a wake of bad contracts amidst a dumpster fire of a farm system. Lather. Rinse. Repeat...

New GM drafts carefully and signs top young prospects and makes shrewd deals to horde more elite young talent. Henry gets frustrated by team performance at MLB level and fires New GM, and then brings in trusty veteran GM who guts everything for a quickie title and departs, leaving a wake of bad contracts amidst a dumpster fire of a farm system. Lather. Rinse. Repeat...
    Let's not forget Cherington left some bad contracts on the books himself.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

You left out fired GM goes to another city several years after the stink has washed off to captain another last place team.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."