Register now to remove this ad

Page 349 of 401 FirstFirst ... 249299339347348349350351359399 ... LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,235 of 6006

Thread: A Realistic View at 2021: Part I

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Or Durable Dick.

I'd take any of them, but I don't think we're getting any of them.
    Agreed on both counts...

I'm thinking Durable Dick might settle for 2 million or so at this point.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Deity
    I'm thinking Durable Dick might settle for 2 million or so at this point.
    Let’s pass the hat...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Let’s pass the hat...
    OK. I'll match what you give.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

The more I think about (which is admittedly not much), I would be OK with Duran opening the season in CF. He might flop, but CF is one of their deepest positions throughout the organization. If they wait too long on Duran, at some point Rosario and/or Jimenez could be knocking on the door as well. This could be a good problem to have, but if they start experimenting now it’s not necessarily a bad thing...
    I do think there is a some validity to the philosophy that calling someone up, too soon, can slow development of harm a kid's confidence or that much value can be lost by waiting too long.

I have always trusted our management to know when the time is right or at least to know more than I do about it.

If they think he's ready, I'll trust them.

Personally, I think he needs more time due to being relatively new to the OF, and the fact that he has recently made some pretty major adjustments to his hitting approach.

We all know Boston is not an easy place to be thrown into the spotlight.

The comp to Ellsbury is interesting. Ells did kind of learn on the fly. He had some ups and downs, early on, and it took a while for his D to become a plus, but I do think he turned out to give plus value over his first 2 seasons combined- the first was a late call-up.

I'm still leaning no, but I, too, am more open to the idea than I was in December.

When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    OK. I'll match what you give.
    Ok so Bellhorn is in for $1.09. Who else?

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I do think there is a some validity to the philosophy that calling someone up, too soon, can slow development of harm a kid's confidence or that much value can be lost by waiting too long.

I have always trusted our management to know when the time is right or at least to know more than I do about it.

If they think he's ready, I'll trust them.

Personally, I think he needs more time due to being relatively new to the OF, and the fact that he has recently made some pretty major adjustments to his hitting approach.

We all know Boston is not an easy place to be thrown into the spotlight.

The comp to Ellsbury is interesting. Ells did kind of learn on the fly. He had some ups and downs, early on, and it took a while for his D to become a plus, but I do think he turned out to give plus value over his first 2 seasons combined- the first was a late call-up.

I'm still leaning no, but I, too, am more open to the idea than I was in December.

I question how much of it is slowing development vs burning a year of service time. It’s one thing to promote a 19yo or 20yo, but once players reach an age and physical development slows or stops, maybe they’re in a spot where the only way we can know if they can hit MLB pitching is to have them actually face MLB pitching.

And as this team is a borderline contender at best, it’s not like a struggling Duran will rank the season...

I question how much of it is slowing development vs burning a year of service time. It’s one thing to promote a 19yo or 20yo, but once players reach an age and physical development slows or stops, maybe they’re in a spot where the only way we can know if they can hit MLB pitching is to have them actually face MLB pitching.

And as this team is a borderline contender at best, it’s not like a struggling Duran will rank the season...
    Burning a season is certainly one factor on the side of giving him at least a couple more months in AAA.

Probably, the deciding one for me.

Same with Houck, despite Houck being older. He will likely be limited in his IP, anyway, so why not?

Deity

Beat me to it.

He turns 23,soon, and had a high K rate in college (12.8), but also walked a lot (5.5).

In just 21 IP in the minors, it was 10.1 /3.4.

He was drafted in the 15th round in 2019.

He does not need a slot on the 40 man roster.

For a second, I thought it was Kris Bryant that was acquired, but then I remembered that Bloom is building a team to lose and doesn’t wanna spend any money.
    Last edited by a700hitter; 02-27-2021 at 07:08 PM.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

"Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

I got a second. I thought it was Kris Bryant that was acquired, but then I remembered that Bloom is building a team to lose and doesn’t wanna spend any money.
    He's the perfect get for CF.

Why didn't I think of that!

Deity
    I got a second. I thought it was Kris Bryant that was acquired, but then I remembered that Bloom is building a team to lose and doesn’t wanna spend any money.
    Well, the implication was that it was Kris Bryant. But you have to remember we’re talking about the PTBNL for Josh Osich...

Legend

Duran is 24 years old and a terrific athlete. Time to give him an opportunity. I agree that the team doesn't look fully competitive at the highest level so experimenting with Duran will not tank our season. If he can't cut it, we will find out, but give him time enough to show what he can do. The possible upside outweighs the other arguments in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Duran is 24 years old and a terrific athlete. Time to give him an opportunity. I agree that the team doesn't look fully competitive at the highest level so experimenting with Duran will not tank our season. If he can't cut it, we will find out, but give him time enough to show what he can do. The possible upside outweighs the other arguments in my view.
    I don't see how holding off a few weeks and gaining another year of control is outweighed by anything else.

The kid will get his chance, and if he is what many feel he is, all the more reason to gain another year at low cost, and the fact that we are not likely to be highly competitive, this year, adds to the idea of holding him back just enough to get the extra year.