Register now to remove this ad

Page 168 of 170 FirstFirst ... 68118158166167168169170 LastLast
Results 2,506 to 2,520 of 2542

Thread: A Realistic View at 2021: Part I

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    To raise the minimum wage from around $800K to $1.5M may only mean adding about $5-10M to the Sox payroll and maybe $10-15M to low payroll teams.

I'd suggest a graduated pay scale based on years in the bigs.

Maybe $1.5M year 1, $1.75M year 2, $2M year 3, then arbs...
    And just increase lux tax calculation by the amount you're potentially paying minimum wage guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    <<< Most normal poster on Talksox

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Wasn't the rationale for this that teams subsidized the 'training' of players through the minor leagues? (cf. the NFL, which has its own taxpayer-funded minor league in the NCAA). But now that they are shrinking the minor leagues, the pre-arb years should be shrunk or eliminated as well. (Alas, as in other sports, the players with the most clout in the union are likely the highest paid ones.)
    Problem being that the best players are getting screwed the most and they typically need the least amount of training.

Also, they don't even pay a poverty wage to the vast majority of minor league guys.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    <<< Most normal poster on Talksox

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    And just increase lux tax calculation by the amount you're potentially paying minimum wage guys.
    I thought of that, too- or create a minimum team budget with serious penalties for not spending a set amount. (Make the penalty worth more than what the cost would have been to meet the low threshold.)
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Problem being that the best players are getting screwed the most and they typically need the least amount of training.

Also, they don't even pay a poverty wage to the vast majority of minor league guys.
    That pay could be raised, also.

My step raise idea, by itself might create a situation where the Pirates only have 1 year players for 20 slots, saving the $700K per players reaching 2nd year status. They'd DFA or trade players as soon as they reach 1 year of service.

A large percentage of players never reach arb or their arb years are the most they ever get in their careers.

If they all pulled together to demand the low end pay be raise significantly, I think it would have to be done.
    Sox 4 Ever

He had an opt out?
    He opted out of his contract with the Dodgers before signing with the Red Sox.

But he lived up to his contract with us for the most part.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

Theme song of 2020 Red Sox: "Tanks for the Memories"

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Doesn't that go for any free agent contract?
    Yes, I'm just saying that a free agent contract with a player opt-out is even worse than one without an opt-out.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

Theme song of 2020 Red Sox: "Tanks for the Memories"

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    He opted out of his contract with the Dodgers before signing with the Red Sox.

But he lived up to his contract with us for the most part.
    So, the team (the Dodgers) didn't really make out on the opt-out.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    He had an opt out?
    With his Dodgers' contract before the Sox signed him...

Deity
    So, the team (the Dodgers) didn't really make out on the opt-out.
    Arguably they did.

He had two years left on the deal. his first year in Boston was not very good. His second year was very good, but carried by one electric month...

Well, we found out a little bit more about who the Sox brass valued and didn't value, yesterday. Our 40 man roster is at 40, again, with Pedey's fate decided.

My guess is, we add 2-4 pitchers to the 26 man roster, along with an OF'er or two and maybe a 2Bman. Perhaps we add someone who can play CF and 2B.

At minimum, I feel we have to add:

1 solid & durable SP'er
    1 closer
    1 CF'er
    1 OF/2B

I think we will add 2 more pitchers.

We may add a separate OF and 2Bman instead of one who does both.

We will likely add a lot of minor league /AAAA types that are not on the 40 man roster.

Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Well, we found out a little bit more about who the Sox brass valued and didn't value, yesterday. Our 40 man roster is at 40, again, with Pedey's fate decided.

My guess is, we add 2-4 pitchers to the 26 man roster, along with an OF'er or two and maybe a 2Bman. Perhaps we add someone who can play CF and 2B.

1 solid & durable SP'er
    1 closer
    1 CF'er
    1 OF/2B

We will likely add a lot of minor league /AAAA types that are not on the 40 man roster.

Some of this could be re-arranged depending on whom (if anyone) the Sox trade away.

For example, if they deal Vazquez or Dalbec, a catcher or 1b/3b becomes a requirement...

1 solid & durable SP'er
    1 closer
    1 CF'er
    1 OF/2B

There will be many more changes to the 40 man and Pedey's fate is far from decided. I'll be very surprised if Pedey occupies a roster spot after the winter meetings.

Improving the pitching should be the first priority. With Sale not back until sometime in June and with no guaranties he will be dominant and also E-Rod having questions we start the season with Eovaldi, Pivetta and Houck. Only others are Mazza, Seabold, Mata and D-Hern and they at best would be a leap of faith. I agree we need a solid starter and maybe another back end starter if we want to be competitive.

We also don't have a closer and maybe one or two useful relievers to displace some of our current 40 man. We are kidding ourselves if we think the pitching moves will come cheaply. What money is left could be put into an outfielder and a second baseman. With JBJ probably gone, we could fill center field with Verdugo and while many don't think he is ready, Duran is knocking on the door. I'm for replacing Beni in left. Ozuna is a possibility but maybe too expensive based on our pitching needs. Picking up a placeholder until 2022 may be the best answer.

Second base may be our lowest priority, with Arroyo serviceable and Downs not too far in the future. Again, put the money into pitching and if a deal comes up too good to pass on take it.

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    There will be many more changes to the 40 man and Pedey's fate is far from decided. I'll be very surprised if Pedey occupies a roster spot after the winter meetings.

Improving the pitching should be the first priority. With Sale not back until sometime in June and with no guaranties he will be dominant and also E-Rod having questions we start the season with Eovaldi, Pivetta and Houck. Only others are Mazza, Seabold, Mata and D-Hern and they at best would be a leap of faith. I agree we need a solid starter and maybe another back end starter if we want to be competitive.

We also don't have a closer and maybe one or two useful relievers to displace some of our current 40 man. We are kidding ourselves if we think the pitching moves will come cheaply. What money is left could be put into an outfielder and a second baseman. With JBJ probably gone, we could fill center field with Verdugo and while many don't think he is ready, Duran is knocking on the door. I'm for replacing Beni in left. Ozuna is a possibility but maybe too expensive based on our pitching needs. Picking up a placeholder until 2022 may be the best answer.

Second base may be our lowest priority, with Arroyo serviceable and Downs not too far in the future. Again, put the money into pitching and if a deal comes up too good to pass on take it.
    Pedey is decided. The only question is when. My guess is they already know when.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Some of this could be re-arranged depending on whom (if anyone) the Sox trade away.

For example, if they deal Vazquez or Dalbec, a catcher or 1b/3b becomes a requirement...
    Yes, and if we trade Dalbec, we'd keep Chavis or maybe sign someone like Moreland.

I'm curious if any GMs want Chavis enough to give us anything of value.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    Yes, and if we trade Dalbec, we'd keep Chavis or maybe sign someone like Moreland.

I'm curious if any GMs want Chavis enough to give us anything of value.
    Chavis can hit LHP and makes minimum wage. He has some value, but he isn’t a marquee trading chip...