Register now to remove this ad

Page 51 of 120 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 765 of 1796

Thread: A Realistic View at 2021: Part I

  1. #751
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The problem with spending every bit of cap space in 2021 is hindering Sox from signing players post 2021. It has to be the right mix. Devers and others will start to cost more in near future. I just don't see us being competitive next year based on this year's performance. Sure we'll be better. But how much better? Good enough to compete for a playoff spot better?
    I believe the goal for 2021 is to get better but I would recommend that we stay under the competitive balance tax in 2021 and save any major push to be a major playoff threat until the 2022 season.

  2. #752
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    35,849
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I believe the goal for 2021 is to get better but I would recommend that we stay under the competitive balance tax in 2021 and save any major push to be a major playoff threat until the 2022 season.
    I'm fine with that idea, but counting on adding 2-4 solid FAs after 2021 might not be as easy as finding one or two this winter and one or two next winter.

    Getting one or two now would help us be better in 2021 while still being a big part of 2022 and beyond.

    I'm not for spending the whole budget on long term deals, but spending none on long term deals is going to make it hard to find true quality.
    Sox 4 Ever

  3. #753
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    35,849
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    I have thought he might act as a closer for us in 2021. We paid Kimbrel an equivalent amount and he may be able to handle 1 inning assignments and stay healthy.
    We paid Kimbrel $13M a year not $17M.

    I do think Eovaldi may work out best as a closer, but with just 1-2 years left of team control and our rebuild maybe 1-2 years away it makes little sense to pay $17M for a closer on a team not likely to be a highly competitive team until at least 2022.

    If we are seriously looking at making a strong run for 2022, JD, Eovaldi and maybe Bogey's last years here, then I can see holding onto him, but an argument can also be made that trading him might improve our odds in 2022, too, and better position us for beyond that year.

    Sox 4 Ever

  4. #754
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We paid Kimbrel $13M a year not $17M.

    I do think Eovaldi may work out best as a closer, but with just 1-2 years left of team control and our rebuild maybe 1-2 years away it makes little sense to pay $17M for a closer on a team not likely to be a highly competitive team until at least 2022.

    If we are seriously looking at making a strong run for 2022, JD, Eovaldi and maybe Bogey's last years here, then I can see holding onto him, but an argument can also be made that trading him might improve our odds in 2022, too, and better position us for beyond that year.

    If Eovaldi is having a good year, we trade him next year. Keep churning Bloom until the deck is full. Then strike. Not ready to strike yet.

  5. #755
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    35,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If Eovaldi is having a good year, we trade him next year. Keep churning Bloom until the deck is full. Then strike. Not ready to strike yet.
    It's very hard to win a ring by acquiring 4-7 studs in one winter.

    I'm not for signing a bunch of players long term, this winter, but identifying 1-2 that look to be part of our longer term plans could be added, this winter. That would lessen the pressure to add too many next winter.

    If we sign one guy for $16M x 6 years and another for $9M x 5 years, that's only $25M out of the $70M we have to spend. Some can be spent on 1-2 years deals or "bridge" signings. We're losing $25M in salaries after 2021, so adding $25M would be covered by that for 2022.

    We might also go very large for one guy, in hopes he leads us beyond 2022. I'm not sure a guy like Bauer or Springer fits in with our long term budget plans.
    Sox 4 Ever

  6. #756
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    35,849
    Here's the Sox Rule 5 List for this winter:

    Christopher Acosta
    Eduard Bazardo
    Garrett Benge
    Gary Calvo
    Pedro Castellanos
    Kutter Crawford
    Ricardo Cubillan
    [B]Chad De La Guerra
    Jerry Downs
    Jose Espada
    Rio Gomez
    Jay Groome
    Hunter Haworth
    Matt Kent
    Jose Larez
    Adam Lau
    Dominic LoBrutto
    Everlouis Lozada
    Bryan Lucas
    Charlie Madden
    Alan Marrero
    Joan Martinez
    Bryan Mata
    Tate Matheny
    Alexander Montero
    Oddanier Mosqueda
    Brendan Nail
    Brett Netzer
    Tanner Nishioka
    Emerson Ortiz
    Michael Osinski
    Yorvin Pantoja
    Isaac Pinales
    Antonio Police
    Hudson Potts
    Bobby Poyner
    Roniel Raudes
    Austin Rei
    Denyi Reyes

    Jeremy Rivera
    Jeisson Rosario
    Jagger Rusconi
    Yasel Santana
    Zach Schellinger
    Alex Scherff
    Connor Seabold
    Mike Shawaryn

    Kervin Suarez
    Jake Thompson
    Josh Tobias
    Connor Wong

    I'm seeing about 6-9 players we may add to the 40 man roster from this list.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 09-20-2020 at 11:10 AM.
    Sox 4 Ever

  7. #757
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    35,849
    For argument's sake, let's say we add Mata, Potts, Groome, Wong, Seabold and Rosario to the 40 man roster to protect them from rule 5, here's a look at what our 2021 40 man roster might look like before any additions, re-signings or trades.

    18- Pitchers: Sale, Eovaldi, Perez, Erod, Houck, Pivetta, Seabold, Godley, Weber, Mata
    Barnes, D Hern, Valdez, Taylor, Brasier, Brewer, Walden, Groome

    4- Catchers: Vazquez, Plawecki, Grullon, Wong
    2- 1B: Dalbec, Chavis
    4- 2B: Arrojo , Munoz + (Pedey 60 day IL)
    2- 3B: Devers, Potts
    1- SS: Bogey, Chatham
    5- OF: Verdugo, Beni, Wilson, Puello, Rosario
    1- DH: JD

    That's 37, but guys like Chatham, Puello, Grullon and Walden could easily be added to the "bubble" list below:

    Bubble (players currently on our 40 man roster:
    Mazza, Hart, TapiaCovey, Brice, Springs, Stock, Triggs, Leyer, Kickham, Hall, Lin, Aybar, Arauz, Peraza

    I'm not seeing a major roster crunch, this winter. We have room to acquire 6-8 players without having to clear space for them that causes us to lose anyone real promising.
    Last edited by moonslav59; 09-20-2020 at 11:11 AM.
    Sox 4 Ever

  8. #758
    TalkSox Godhead mvp 78's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    38,543
    Red Sox 2020 1st round pick Nick Yorke made his @PawSox debut today. He got two at bats, lining a single off Bryan Mata and walking against Robinson Leyer. Impressive debut for an 18-year-old facing the top pitching prospect in the system and a reliever with MLB experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    <<< Most normal poster on Talksox

  9. #759
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's very hard to win a ring by acquiring 4-7 studs in one winter.

    I'm not for signing a bunch of players long term, this winter, but identifying 1-2 that look to be part of our longer term plans could be added, this winter. That would lessen the pressure to add too many next winter.

    If we sign one guy for $16M x 6 years and another for $9M x 5 years, that's only $25M out of the $70M we have to spend. Some can be spent on 1-2 years deals or "bridge" signings. We're losing $25M in salaries after 2021, so adding $25M would be covered by that for 2022.

    We might also go very large for one guy, in hopes he leads us beyond 2022. I'm not sure a guy like Bauer or Springer fits in with our long term budget plans.
    $16M and $9M are very reasonable Moon. I'm talking about signing guys for $25M+; that I'm not in favor.

  10. #760
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's very hard to win a ring by acquiring 4-7 studs in one winter.

    I'm not for signing a bunch of players long term, this winter, but identifying 1-2 that look to be part of our longer term plans could be added, this winter. That would lessen the pressure to add too many next winter.

    If we sign one guy for $16M x 6 years and another for $9M x 5 years, that's only $25M out of the $70M we have to spend. Some can be spent on 1-2 years deals or "bridge" signings. We're losing $25M in salaries after 2021, so adding $25M would be covered by that for 2022.

    We might also go very large for one guy, in hopes he leads us beyond 2022. I'm not sure a guy like Bauer or Springer fits in with our long term budget plans.
    Who would be attractive candidates for those contracts (six years, $96 million; five years, $45 million)?

    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ee-agents.html

  11. #761
    Deity moonslav59's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Posts
    35,849
    Quote Originally Posted by harmony View Post
    Who would be attractive candidates for those contracts (six years, $96 million; five years, $45 million)?

    https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/...ee-agents.html
    I'm not saying I want these guys or would want us to sign them, but here are a few names (with projected salaries by thegamehaus):

    LeMahieu $90M/4
    Brantley $45M/3
    Turner $25M/2 (Move Devers to 1B?)

    Others listed on bleacherreport that might fall near those ranges:
    Kirby Yates
    Mike Minor
    Shane Greene
    Liam Hendricks
    Jonathan Schoop

    If we decide to go larger (maybe for one not 2 guys)
    Tanaka
    Stroman
    Ozuna
    Springer

    I seriously doubt we even kick the tires on Bauer or Realmuto.






    Sox 4 Ever

  12. #762
    I think the likelihood the Yanks let Tanaka or DJ walk is pretty low.

  13. #763
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We paid Kimbrel $13M a year not $17M.

    I do think Eovaldi may work out best as a closer, but with just 1-2 years left of team control and our rebuild maybe 1-2 years away it makes little sense to pay $17M for a closer on a team not likely to be a highly competitive team until at least 2022.

    If we are seriously looking at making a strong run for 2022, JD, Eovaldi and maybe Bogey's last years here, then I can see holding onto him, but an argument can also be made that trading him might improve our odds in 2022, too, and better position us for beyond that year.

    I can see a legitimate argument for going either way with Eovaldi. Depends a lot on what kind of deal we could cut.

  14. #764
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    For argument's sake, let's say we add Downs, Mata, Potts, Groome, Wong, Seabold and Rosario to the 40 man roster to protect them from rule 5, here's a look at what our 2021 40 man roster might look like before any additions, re-signings or trades.

    18- Pitchers: Sale, Eovaldi, Perez, Erod, Houck, Pivetta, Seabold, Godley, Weber, Mata
    Barnes, D Hern, Valdez, Taylor, Brasier, Brewer, Walden, Groome

    4- Catchers: Vazquez, Plawecki, Grullon, Wong
    2- 1B: Dalbec, Chavis
    4- 2B: Arrojo , Munoz, Downs + (Pedey 60 day IL)
    2- 3B: Devers, Potts
    1- SS: Bogey, Chatham
    5- OF: Verdugo, Beni, Wilson, Puello, Rosario
    1- DH: JD

    That's 38, but guys like Chatham, Puello, Grullon and Walden could easily be added to the "bubble" list below:

    Bubble (players currently on our 40 man roster:
    Mazza, Hart, TapiaCovey, Brice, Springs, Stock, Triggs, Leyer, Kickham, Hall, Lin, Aybar, Arauz, Peraza

    I'm not seeing a major roster crunch, this winter. We have room to acquire 6-8 players without having to clear space for them that causes us to lose anyone real promising.
    An outfield not including Duran would be a mistake. I assume they have held back two or three guys this year for reasons of player control and cost. Those players will be a par of spring training and some will stick.

  15. #765
    Deity
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    20,074
    Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    An outfield not including Duran would be a mistake. I assume they have held back two or three guys this year for reasons of player control and cost. Those players will be a par of spring training and some will stick.
    Duran ended last year in Portland, where he posted a .634 OPS in 352 PA. I don't think service time is why he is not in MLB yet...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •