Register now to remove this ad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wild Card Situation

Wild Card Situation

The Red Sox
    The Mariners
    The Skanks
    The Blue Jays

All of these teams have fans that believe!
    What are your thoughts?? I am truly surprised that the Red Sox have had the year that they’ve had. But since they are here they might as well give it a go! Do I think they are as good as SF?? No.. but crazier things have happened. I see a WC game at Fenway in our future. Hoping that the Bronx bums make it and we get the last laugh of 2021 by taking them out.

GO SOX!!!
    The Bills, The Bruins, The Sabres & The Red Sox.

Triple A
    Realistically each team has a chance to be in WC games there's different scenarios possible but if you have a Red Sox and Yankees loss and Blue jays and Mariners win then you have a 4 way tie for the WC then it would force a 2 game playoff for the advancing teams. The has to be closes race ever with 4 teams for a playoff spot sure make exciting baseball. Overall I see the Rays as being the team that will win the divisional cheampionship they have the pitching the defense and offense on a low budget team.

Yeah this is a great race, what fun. I see what I have believed for a few weeks now, Sox and Yankees as it should be.

I also see the Yankees advancing regardless of where it is played.

It's also very amusing. Because we are paying closer attention, we are seeing not only good plays, but horrendous ones. I imagine at this point, for players, the fun has gone out of it, leaving nothing but stress and exhaustion--all these games just for the 50/50 chance (or much less in some scenarios) to get in the playoffs has to affect their play (e.g., Yankee dude not running out the K, stupid defensive plays all around, Devers' struggles in situations where he normally does well). Extremes by fans also amusing--so many here want to just give up and get it over with! then some miracle happens and the season seems recoverable, then some pop-up ...
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong: after today's Game 162s, in the event of any ties (2 for the WC, 3-way for one or two WC spots, 4-way), the Red Sox will automatically be playing at Fenway Park -- unless they choose to be Team C in a 3-way; in that case, they'd sacrifice a game on the road in exchange for one day of rest for the broken wings of the bullpen.

Deity
    When each league had just one wild card, that team had a real shot at winning it all. Now, with 2 each, wild card teams are simply scrambling to be able to say they made the postseason because the wild card games make them vulnerable in the Division Series.

The Sox right now have an almost ideal situation vis a vis the wild card. Sale is starting today and Eovaldi, our ace, will be rested for the wild card game on Tuesday. But then comes the ALDS vs. the Rays, who will be rested, ready, and with the home field advantage--the Trop--which definitely favors the Rays. Plus the Rays are a much better team.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    When each league had just one wild card, that team had a real shot at winning it all. Now, with 2 each, wild card teams are simply scrambling to be able to say they made the postseason because the wild card games make them vulnerable in the Division Series.

The Sox right now have an almost ideal situation vis a vis the wild card. Sale is starting today and Eovaldi, our ace, will be rested for the wild card game on Tuesday. But then comes the ALDS vs. the Rays, who will be rested, ready, and with the home field advantage--the Trop--which definitely favors the Rays. Plus the Rays are a much better team.
    Which is the really relevant factor.

The Sox can beat the Rays in a series; any team can beat any other team in a series. But this Sox team cannot do that 3 series in a row.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Can we stop calling them the Skanks? Sometimes I think y'all are 5 years old
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    I can't disagree with you

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Crazy things happen in the post season. I remember that marathon WS game vS LA when Eovaldi kept the Sox in it for like 8 innings. LA had their game four starter lined up and we still figured it out. That said, the Rays are going to be a tough out.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by YastrzemskI View Post
    Crazy things happen in the post season. I remember that marathon WS game vS LA when Eovaldi kept the Sox in it for like 8 innings. LA had their game four starter lined up and we still figured it out. That said, the Rays are going to be a tough out.
    The LA series in 2018 was indeed amazing, and I sure do remember Eovaldi's stint in relief. I thought that game wore our guys out, but it clearly did not.

And, yes, the postseason can be full of surprises. If the Sox get to the ALDS and play the Rays, however, I do not expect a surprise there.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    I don't call them that. I like almost all MLB teams, but there are a very few teams whose names I especially like: Brooklyn (now LA) Dodgers; Minnesota Twins; NY Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies; maybe the Texas Rangers. Red Sox and White Sox show a complete lack of imagination and/or connection to the city from which those teams come. Mets and Nats not bad. I like the American Indian names, but am fine with getting rid of them for the reasons stated. Diamondbacks and Mariners: too many syllables. Cardinals, Blue Jays, Orioles: love birds, but not as team names. Nevertheless, I like all three franchises even though the Orioles have stunk under owner D'Angelo. Devil Rays just plain dumb and therefore a good fit with the Trop--but a brilliantly run franchise (bereft of fans).

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Which is the really relevant factor.

The Sox can beat the Rays in a series; any team can beat any other team in a series. But this Sox team cannot do that 3 series in a row.
    Statistically, you are absolutely right about one team beating another in a series. But right now the Rays are playing very well and the Sox are struggling, on top of which the wild card game was/is brilliantly designed to put the winner at a real disadvantage in the Division Series.

The LA series in 2018 was indeed amazing, and I sure do remember Eovaldi's stint in relief. I thought that game wore our guys out, but it clearly did not.

And, yes, the postseason can be full of surprises. If the Sox get to the ALDS and play the Rays, however, I do not expect a surprise there.
    Maybe that game wore the Dodgers out.

Eovaldi's heroic relief stint, even though we lost, created a drive in our other pitchers that saw them lining up at Cora's door asking what can I do extra to help us win. 18 innings- WOW!

Eovaldi went 6 innings after pitching in relief in game 1 and game 2 and the 5th game of the ALCS! (He had started game 3 of the ALCS.)
    Sox 4 Ever

Statistically, you are absolutely right about one team beating another in a series. But right now the Rays are playing very well and the Sox are struggling, on top of which the wild card game was/is brilliantly designed to put the winner at a real disadvantage in the Division Series.
    No doubt, the Rays have the advantage, and it's too bad the winner of the WC game has to play them, next. They earned that right.

I'd like our chances much more vs the Astros or White Sox.

I'd be hypocritical to take the "playoffs are a crap shoot" position, right now. I honestly think we have a very, very slight chance of winning it all. Too many other teams have a big advantage over us. We'd need to fire on all cylinders all at once plus hope the team we are playing stumbles a little to give us a chance to keep advancing. Those odds are so slight, I'd be shocked if we even made it to the World Series.

That doesn't mean I'm going to be moping around thinking all is lost. I'm gonna root like hell a miracle happens.
    Sox 4 Ever