Register now to remove this ad

Page 52 of 120 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: Why was Mookie traded, exactly?

It's possible that the Sox could have matched or even topped the Dodger's offer and Mookie would still have preferred going to L.A. But we do not know that . It is only speculation. The only thing we know is that he rejected the Sox' first offer , they traded him to the Dodgers , and he signed long term with L.A. without any apparent hesitation. He is happy , has another ring and is very wealthy. Meanwhile , the Sox had an abysmal season and are trying to figure out how to get back in the hunt. That's about it. What more is there to say?

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    It's possible that the Sox could have matched or even topped the Dodger's offer and Mookie would still have preferred going to L.A. But we do not know that . It is only speculation. The only thing we know is that he rejected the Sox' first offer , they traded him to the Dodgers , and he signed long term with L.A. without any apparent hesitation. He is happy , has another ring and is very wealthy. Meanwhile , the Sox had an abysmal season and are trying to figure out how to get back in the hunt. That's about it. What more is there to say?
    I enjoy the back-and-forth jibber-jabber here, myself. A lot of it is just pointless, and a lot of it is redundant as heck. It's just banter, really.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    So we could have kept Mookie and re-set the tax.

But that still wouldn't have guaranteed signing him as a free agent, so what would be the point of not trading him and getting something for him?
    Yes, but I liked the trade, and I felt it made more sense.

I was just pointing out that we could have kept Mookie & reset.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

I enjoy the back-and-forth jibber-jabber here, myself. A lot of it is just pointless, and a lot of it is redundant as heck. It's just banter, really.
    Yup. (Question: Is there ANYTHING any of us have read on a sports board that made us change our minds about ANYTHING?)
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

If you really buy into the theory that it was the tax concerns that prevented the Red Sox from keeping Mookie, then you have to blame Cherington too. Because a big chunk of the money on the payroll in 2018 and 2019 was carried over from Ben, and a big chunk of that chunk was dead money.
    1. First off, my whole argument is not about the ability to sign Mookie, per se, because I never wanted him signed for that contract to begin with. In that regard, Dombrowski did us a huge favor. My concern is with the current lack of flexibility, either financially or with prospects, to improve our team. Note: I'm not saying that it can't be done, just that we have very little flexibility to do it.

2. Ben had some bad contracts on the book, at least one of which I do not believe was his doing. Regardless, while he may have contributed to our 2020 financial constraints, he at least had a farm system. You can better afford to tie your hands financially if you have the farm system. The farm system has always been my #1 gripe with Dombrowski.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    DD’s methods worked. 2018 banner will fly forever. You live with the consequences. Yes, this rebuild will be longer and harder than any return to prominence since the first title in 04, but you still got a title. Remember, prior to 16 years ago, most Sox fans would sell their first born for what DD delivered and wouldn’t care if it was a 20 yr rebuild
    Stop.

It is no sense keeping Mookie if that means that you cannot afford a top notch supporting cast to go with him. But was that really the case? We need to remember that the luxury tax was the owner's ploy to get around the lack of a salary cap. It is not some burden that has been imposed on them. The owners want to maximize their profits , just as the players want to maximize their earnings. That is understandable. But as fans , we just want a team we can get behind. Having a Mookie Betts makes that more likely . Without that , fan interest wanes , as was certainly obvious this year. The fans do not want to be the ones in the middle of the fight between the owners and the players. We are paying the bills , but we do care about our money also. And we don't have nearly as much of it as the players , much less the owners. And we do not have to spend it on baseball. Losing a player like Mookie most definitely does nothing to excite the fans. Nor does hearing that the " luxury tax " was the reason for it.
    Mookie is just as much to blame, even more so in my opinion, than ownership or the FO is for us losing him. The FO made Mookie a more than reasonable and more than respectable offer. To counter with $420 mil is kind of a slap in the face, if you ask me.

Quote Originally Posted by s5dewey View Post
    i only see one major flaw in that reasoning - mookie betts. Iimo they couldn't have signed him regardless of the salary implications. They couldn't have signed him for just one reason. he wouldn't have signed!

Betts had said all along that he intended to go to fa and his agent is probably the biggest proponent of fa. The sox took him at his word, as they should have. At the end of the day the sox had every reason to believe that he couldn't be signed so they traded him rather than have him go to fa in another year.

And btw, the next time we have a salary crunch and a star player let's not say, "we can let him go and then sign him next year". Once a marquee player leaves he's gone. Accept it and go to plan b.
    this^...he wasnt going to sign here!

Quote Originally Posted by S5Dewey View Post
    I only see one major flaw in that reasoning - Mookie Betts. IIMO they couldn't have signed him regardless of the salary implications. They couldn't have signed him for just one reason. He wouldn't have signed!

Betts had said all along that he intended to go to FA and his agent is probably the biggest proponent of FA. The Sox took him at his word, as they should have. At the end of the day the Sox had every reason to believe that he couldn't be signed so they traded him rather than have him go to FA in another year.

And BTW, the next time we have a salary crunch and a star player let's not say, "We can let him go and then sign him next year". Once a marquee player leaves he's gone. Accept it and go to Plan B.
    I think Mookie would have tested the FA market had it not been for COVID. I think the financial uncertainty resulting for the sport made him jump at the big money on the table. I think the financial impact of COVID will have a profound effect on this years FA market. Normally, big names start to come of the board by Turkey Day. I think the market will not develop until after the New Year. As it looks right now, there is an excellent chance that they will be playing to empty or mostly empty stadiums at the start of the season.
    The King of TalkSox has Spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    Chaim, you are in the big leagues now. Drawing 10,000 fans a game is not going to cut it, and people don’t buy tickets to Fenway to talk about the Farm

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    "Relief pitchers are a crapshoot." No, the truth is "Crapshoot pitchers are relievers."

Deity
    Some folks just don't like Dombrowski's style and were not happy when he was hired. Mostly , they do like Cherington , and wanted to see him get more time. Most , not all, of these folks are reluctant to give D.D. much credit for the team's success during his tenure. And they are quick to blame him for anything negative that happened after his departure . That is probably not very fair or objective . But , then again, what is ?
    It's their juvenile jabs that are never ending that do bother me.lol They get under my skin - not really.

Quote Originally Posted by a700hitter View Post
    I think Mookie would have tested the FA market had it not been for COVID. I think the financial uncertainty resulting for the sport made him jump at the big money on the table.
    This is the one thing we'll never know, unless Mookie fesses up about it one day, but I think there's a very good chance this is true. And I think he settled for a chunk less than he was hoping to get in free agency.

Quote Originally Posted by cp176 View Post
    It's their juvenile jabs that are never ending that do bother me.lol They get under my skin - not really.
    Like "the other side" refrains from "juvenile jabs" at the "coffee boy" and his supporters and occasional defenders.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Deity
    This is the one thing we'll never know, unless Mookie fesses up about it one day, but I think there's a very good chance this is true. And I think he settled for a chunk less than he was hoping to get in free agency.
    It is possible.

The only we thing we do know is the Sox were not going to be able to bring him back without resetting, which was going to be near impossible without moving him. Moving other deals (Bogaerts, for example) might have been counterproductive if Betts still opted signing elsewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    It is possible.

The only we thing we do know is the Sox were not going to be able to bring him back without resetting
    And who says we know that?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Like "the other side" refrains from "juvenile jabs" at the "coffee boy" and his supporters and occasional defenders.
    moon, we're not on teams here.

700hitter is the only one who has used the "coffee boy" line.