Register now to remove this ad

Page 31 of 120 FirstFirst ... 2129303132334181 ... LastLast

Thread: Why was Mookie traded, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    IDK, The Sox fanbase is used to post WS let downs (2005, 2014). It wasn't that much of a shock that they fell back a bit. Chris Sale had already been a large injury concern by the time the WS was over. Which declines were unexpected?
    One could expect Betts would decline after such a great 2018 season, but he was still in the meat of his prime. Did anyone expect a decline from 10.4 fWAR to 6.6? JD's was more expected, but again, by this much? 5.9 to 3.2?

Beni was not expected to decline as he approached prime. He dropped from 4.4 to 2.0.

Sure, Bogey and Devers did better, but here are some more drops- expected or not:

Sale 6.2>3.6 (in almost as many IP)
    Porcello 2.4> 1.8 (kind of expected)
    Eovaldi 1.5 (in a partial season) > -0.3
    Pearce 1.2 (just with the Sox) to falling off a cliff
    Sox 4 Ever

"Just one more thing..." Northern Star's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    Stop.
    Hammer Time.
    Priorities:
    1. Yankees lose
    2. Red Sox win

Quote Originally Posted by joeycaps View Post
    So shut up because you have no idea on what you say on anything as evidence of some of your ridiculous posts.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    No. He's telling you what he prefers as a fan. And a lot of us feel exactly the same way. We'd rather watch great individual athletes, stars, than pretend to be GM's or treat sports entertainment like fantasy sports. We also like to continue to follow athletes we've grown accustomed to--Boggaerts, Devers, Bradley, Betts, and yes Benintendi (if he can get it together again). Because we are fans. Not make-believe owners.

And there must be a lot of us: RS average attendance in 2019: 36,000. Rays average attendance in 2019: 14,000.
    Ok Jad - here we go - I absolutely agree with you.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    There are different types of fans. Some just want results. Some care more for the process than the results. In the end , we all want a good , exciting team . We just differ on how best to achieve that.
    I freely admit to be a process guy. I also believe that it is way too early to judge or make any assumptions with respect to bloom at this point. i would say though that personally I could never get on board with the Tampa Bay ways of winning. There is so much more to a complete baseball season and a real team than simply ultimate results. Winning continues to be good though.

Sorry to interrupt your bean-counting, J.H., but how did Mookie do last night? ... Oh. Here's an article from ESPN. Maybe there's something in here.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...per-fun-series
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Deity
    Sorry to interrupt your bean-counting, J.H., but how did Mookie do last night? ... Oh. Here's an article from ESPN. Maybe there's something in here.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...per-fun-series
    Yeah Henry has been soooo cheap. I so get what it’s like to be a Twins’ fan when Pohlad owned the team...

Deity
    I'm fine with letting Betts go even though he clearly is a big help to the Dodgers. He might just be a six tool player: he can hit, hit with power, field, throw, run, and play smart. Last night was some smart baserunning, but I really liked the way (in the NLCS) he converted a possible triple (a line drive into the right field corner) into a definite single by the way the played the carom.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxbialystock View Post
    I'm fine with letting Betts go even though he clearly is a big help to the Dodgers. He might just be a six tool player: he can hit, hit with power, field, throw, run, and play smart. Last night was some smart baserunning, but I really liked the way (in the NLCS) he converted a possible triple (a line drive into the right field corner) into a definite single by the way the played the carom.
    I agree entirely. A player like that is the main reason to watch professional sports. (But why then are you ok with giving him up?)
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

I agree entirely. A player like that is the main reason to watch professional sports. (But why then are you ok with giving him up?)
    I'm guessing he has the same 400 million reasons as anyone else who says that.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Don't worry about it. According to the pencil neck geek at Fangraphs , Mookie is only worth two more wins than Alex Verdugo. Verdugo is therefore a much better value for the money. Of course , the pencil neck geek would not dare say that at Clancy's Bar and Grill. There would be trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    Don't worry about it. According to the pencil neck geek at Fangraphs , Mookie is only worth two more wins than Alex Verdugo. Verdugo is therefore a much better value for the money. Of course , the pencil neck geek would not dare say that at Clancy's Bar and Grill. There would be trouble.
    But some of the guys at Clancy's might say that $400 million is too much for any player.

I was actually in a bar in Boston at the end of July in 2005, and there was a lot of talk about Manny being traded at the deadline because he wasn't happy in Boston or was being a malcontent or whatever. And most of the people I talked to were saying they should get rid of him.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    But some of the guys at Clancy's might say that $400 million is too much for any player.

I was actually in a bar in Boston at the end of July in 2005, and there was a lot of talk about Manny being traded at the deadline because he wasn't happy in Boston or was being a malcontent or whatever. And most of the people I talked to were saying they should get rid of him.
    Manny was a great hitter. But he could try your patience at times , to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post

Fans have been saying this since the beginning of time I'd guess... at least since the beginning of my time, I'm sure. The only things that change are the numbers and place values.

Commonfolk just can't handle the idea that some young athlete can make so much more money than the rest of us in our own crappy jobs (nothing personal to anyone; that includes whatever profession you're in that's doesn't entail getting paid for playing a kid's game). People get even more bitter when the lucky jock asks for/demands even higher wages than his own lucky peers.

There was never any doubt that Mookie Betts was going to get a contract at the top of his market that he has earned and deserves. Or that fans would complain about it, even as the market constantly re-establishes itself within the very industry they support.

I guess I'm uncommonfolk.
    Sox 4 Ever

"Everything about the Dodgers is winning and that's in my DNA. It's why I chose to stay here." -Mookie

https://fansided.com/2020/10/19/mook...6CfeTnTkFxibzU
    Sox 4 Ever