Register now to remove this ad

Page 57 of 120 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast

Thread: Why was Mookie traded, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    The Marlins ownership demanded the sell-offs. (The long time returning to respectability was not all on DD. They didn't even try to get back for many years.)

The Tigers ownership demanded a win now philosophy.

I have to think Henry knew what DD was going to do, when he hired him, so to me, it's not all on DD and besides, DD brought us the best 3 year stretch in 90+ years of Red Sox history. Focusing on just the bad aspects of his era is well within your rights, but did you enjoy those 3 years? 2018 was a super team- super record- super playoffs.

I can totally sympathize with anyone who thinks the few years we're in the middle of suck, and they do. I can understand anyone thinking 2016 to 2018 does not outweigh the 2019-2021, but to me it was, and I can't see how anyone can feel so strongly that the balance is so out of whack as to never even mention the good side of DD's era.

(I also feel the same about those who so strongly bash the Ben era.)
    You're fair.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Between Ben and DD, the only thing that either one of them ever did that I disliked a lot at the time was Ben's construction of the 2015 pitching staff.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Between Ben and DD, the only thing that either one of them ever did that I disliked a lot at the time was Ben's construction of the 2015 pitching staff.
    Rotation or bullpen?

His 2015 rotation challenged what we “know” about building pitching staffs, with it’s lack of ace talent. But many forget the World Series Champion that year had a rotation headlined by Edinson Volsquez...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Rotation or bullpen?

His 2015 rotation challenged what we “know” about building pitching staffs, with it’s lack of ace talent. But many forget the World Series Champion that year had a rotation headlined by Edinson Volsquez...
    Yeah, you already schooled me a bit that it was the bullpen that was actually our problem that year.

It was just a gut reaction of horror on my part, going into the season with Porcello/Buchholz/Kelly/Miley/Masterson. I had very little confidence in any of them.

Deity
    Yeah, you already schooled me a bit that it was the bullpen that was actually our problem that year.

It was just a gut reaction of horror on my part, going into the season with Porcello/Buchholz/Kelly/Miley/Masterson. I had very little confidence in any of them.
    At the start of that season, I did not hate that rotation. But I did question the "heavy groundball pitching staff" concept with out infield defense.

RedSoxDirtdog 19
    Calm down. I've been tamed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sox75 View Post
    It's ok, not a lot of other Sox talk to talk about lately... except the signing of a hitter who batted .156 last summer.

Of course, this article was gleefully written on a Dodgers site. But it got me to wondering: was the LA outrage over the way the Cora-led Sox supposedly won the '18 World Series ever addressed with their new superstar?

We never once heard or read anything about the losers pointing fingers or asking for clarifications or explanations from Mr. B, once he changed sides... (maybe it was done in private, but some local or national reporter must have questioned the bowling elephant in the room).

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    It's ok, not a lot of other Sox talk to talk about lately... except the signing of a hitter who batted .156 last summer.

Of course, this article was gleefully written on a Dodgers site. But it got me to wondering: was the LA outrage over the way the Cora-led Sox supposedly won the '18 World Series ever addressed with their new superstar?

We never once heard or read anything about the losers pointing fingers or asking for clarifications or explanations from Mr. B, once he changed sides... (maybe it was done in private, but some local or national reporter must have questioned the bowling elephant in the room).
    It's a non-issue. Manfred's report specifically stated that the Red Sox use of the video room for sign stealing only happened in the regular season. MLB actually had hall monitors in the video rooms during that postseason.

I almost have to give credit to the guy who wrote this. That is some pro level gloating LOL

I almost have to give credit to the guy who wrote this. That is some pro level gloating LOL
    That's definitely some kind of writing.

TalkSox does have a little history with Dodgers fans, but it's far too early to say who won/lost the trade. Dodgers had spent the past few years crying about losing in the playoffs, now they are riding high. The Dodgers will have their own piper to pay in a few years. If they only get one title out of the deal, it was probably worth it for them.

For the Sox, it was what it was. They didn't want to re-sign him. They got a decent return out of it. I'm not happy with the move, but it's the move that the boss wanted.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    And the weird part was it was some stupid Sports Illustrated Player of the Year Award to finally get him to write it.

I’m picturing his internal struggle. “Do I publish that article where I say the Sox need to be embarrassed by the World Series? Not yet. How about after the Gold Glove? Or Silver Slugger? Or great season Graterol had? Or after coming in second line NL MVP? No, no, no and no. Too soon. Timing is everything here.”

“Betts won SI Player of the Year!! The time is now! Get that blog online!”

Anyway, Mookie was traded because the Sox didn't think they could re-sign him for the amount of money they wanted to pay.

/end thread
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Anyway, Mookie was traded because the Sox didn't think they could re-sign him for the amount of money they wanted to pay.

/end thread
    Well yes. Except for that part: The way to win a World Series is to have the best players. The Dodgers were willing to pay to get the best players, the RS were not. /end thread
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

You call THAT a world series? 60 games? Hell JBJ can even put up decent numbers over only 60 games.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    Well yes. Except for that part: The way to win a World Series is to have the best players. The Dodgers were willing to pay to get the best players, the RS were not. /end thread
    mvp78's end thread was much better. Yours just re-opens the discussion.