Register now to remove this ad

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021

Thread: Why was Mookie traded, exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Lester is getting that 10M buyout this offseason. I believe he still has value as a 4/5 guy who can eat innings. It'd be cool of the Sox to bring him back for one more year, but Lester may just want to go home.
    !!!

He did say that he is open to the possibility of a reunion with the Sox.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I was ok with letting Lester go because his body language to me looked like he could use a change of scenery (but it may have just been his frustration of getting lowballed for admitting he'd take a discount), and he partook in chicken and beer... however, I was not ok with giving more money to Price to make up for it. I didn't like Price mouthing off about Papi's HR trots after serving up gopher balls or that his ERA always soared in the postseason.

Red Sox history will always show that Price did indeed pitch three great games in one October title, but also that Jon Lester won twice as many postseason games and twice as many rings. And then he won again in Chicago.
    Given a choice between signing Lester or Price, I would have taken Lester, hands down. Not even open for discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Chicken and beer may have been overblown, but here's what's not overblown about 2011:

-The Red Sox had one of the worst collapses in baseball history.

And worse:

-The Red Sox subsequently lost (arguably) both the best GM and best manager in team history.
    Another example of ownership overreacting and going to the opposite extreme, not with the GM but with the manager.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    That he lost the team is not in doubt. That the "chicken and beer" incidents were part of it is overblown. As at least one player has said, that type of thing happens all over the league, and it is entirely possible it had been going on in Boston for a long time as well...
    If the Sox had won the championship that year, chicken and beer would have been viewed as a positive clubhouse thing, much like the antics of the 2004 idiots were viewed.

Lost control aka had no starting pitching left in September.
    ^^^

I've never seen a pitching staff collapse at the end as badly as that one did. The numbers are staggering.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

Theme song of 2020 Red Sox: "Tanks for the Memories"

@TheAthleticLA
    He's 22, a weight-room marvel and a general goofball. Meet Brusdar Graterol, the most popular player in the Dodgers clubhouse

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    <<< Most normal poster on Talksox

@TheAthleticLA
    He's 22, a weight-room marvel and a general goofball. Meet Brusdar Graterol, the most popular player in the Dodgers clubhouse

It's a good sign Bloom knows how to spot pitching talent.

This time our medical staff let us down. Usually, it's not knowing someone is hurt (Pom, THornburg...). This time it was warning this kid was an injury risk (which he still might be).
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's a good sign Bloom knows how to spot pitching talent.

This time our medical staff let us down. Usually, it's not knowing someone is hurt (Pom, THornburg...). This time it was warning this kid was an injury risk (which he still might be).
    The explanation that is still confusing to me is that his medicals didn't profile him to be a starter, which is supposedly why the Sox wanted him. Meanwhile, LA uses him as an opener (a strategy invented in Tampa during Bloom's days there), while our openers -- most acquired or promoted since -- have been the bane of the worst pitching staff in Boston history this summer.

I can't get too upset about missing out on a relief pitcher.

Nope, but I can about missing out on getting any pitcher from the best staff in baseball in a trade for someone who is now their best position player.

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Nope, but I can about missing out on getting any pitcher from the best staff in baseball in a trade for someone who is now their best position player.
    We got Downs instead. We'll see how it all works out.

Verdugo is certainly not disappointing.

You're on a roll Bell!

Itís less a relief pitching prospect and more the value added. If Downs is viewed as a potential top of the order regular, he will have a greater worth than a reliever ever will. Whether he reaches that talent is irrelevant, especially with the strong likelihood, imo, of him being dealt as part of a deal for controllable young pitching