Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Crazy MLB playoffs

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    The Portland team would have to be named the Mavericks
    Any reason?

I mean, it's better than the Portland Baseball Team.

Personally, I like the name Portland Trash Pandas...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Any reason?

I mean, it's better than the Portland Baseball Team.

Personally, I like the name Portland Trash Pandas...
    Clearly you didn't watch the only movie in our Talksox Movie Club this spring...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portland_Mavericks

Deity
    Clearly you didn't watch the only movie in our Talksox Movie Club this spring...

Guilty. I didn’t...

On July 29th, 2014, the Portland Mavericks Baseball Club, Inc., was re-incorporated with the Secretary of the State of Oregon and is currently in good standing. The team is in development with the PBL League along with other teams to restart the team in 2022 in Portland, Oregon.

I wonder if they would be unable to use the Mavericks name due to trademark infringement.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    On July 29th, 2014, the Portland Mavericks Baseball Club, Inc., was re-incorporated with the Secretary of the State of Oregon and is currently in good standing. The team is in development with the PBL League along with other teams to restart the team in 2022 in Portland, Oregon.

I wonder if they would be unable to use the Mavericks name due to trademark infringement.
    Even if they did not restart the club, the trademark might still be valid.

Of course, this is usually the type of problem easily solved with massive amounts of cash. But new owners would probably want to brand their own way. So Portland Pioneers or something boring like that is more likely....

Even if they did not restart the club, the trademark might still be valid.

Of course, this is usually the type of problem easily solved with massive amounts of cash. But new owners would probably want to brand their own way. So Portland Pioneers or something boring like that is more likely....
    Baseball team names are definitely unexciting. Probably the Portland Puffins.
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Major League Baseball team names are definitely unexciting. Probably the Portland Puffins.
    FTFY.

As we discussed somewhere else in the archives of this board, some of those minor league team names are flat out awesome...

FTFY.

As we discussed somewhere else in the archives of this board, some of those minor league team names are flat out awesome...
    Yep. I have two less than 30 minutes from me, although that number is soon to be 1

The Twins overtook the White Sox for the top spot in the central. That throws a wrinkle in things a bit

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The Twins overtook the White Sox for the top spot in the central. That throws a wrinkle in things a bit
    Why? Because now the Yanks actually have to play somebody else?

The AL teams are all set as far as who's in. I guess there could still be some changes in the seedings, but as of today:

Toronto Blue Jays (8) at Tampa Bay Rays (1)
    Chicago White Sox (7) at Oakland Athletics (2)
    Houston Astros (6) at Minnesota Twins (3)
    New York Yankees (5) at Cleveland Indians (4)

There are still 2 spots in the NL remaining to be clinched (the Giants and the Cards are not in yet) and there could be several seed changes, but as of today, we have:

San Francisco Giants (8) at Los Angeles Dodgers (1)
    Cincinnati Reds (7) at Atlanta Braves (2)
    Miami Marlins (6) at Chicago Cubs (3)
    St. Louis Cardinals (5) at San Diego Padres (4)

The playoffs start on Tuesday with 4 games. There are 8 playoff games being played on Wednesday and Thursday. Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    The AL teams are all set as far as who's in. I guess there could still be some changes in the seedings, but as of today:

Toronto Blue Jays (8) at Tampa Bay Rays (1)
    Chicago White Sox (7) at Oakland Athletics (2)
    Houston Astros (6) at Minnesota Twins (3)
    New York Yankees (5) at Cleveland Indians (4)

There are still 2 spots in the NL remaining to be clinched (the Giants and the Cards are not in yet) and there could be several seed changes, but as of today, we have:

San Francisco Giants (8) at Los Angeles Dodgers (1)
    Cincinnati Reds (7) at Atlanta Braves (2)
    Miami Marlins (6) at Chicago Cubs (3)
    St. Louis Cardinals (5) at San Diego Padres (4)

The playoffs start on Tuesday with 4 games. There are 8 playoff games being played on Wednesday and Thursday. Good stuff.
    To me , that is too many teams . Anyway, I think the Dodgers will be awfully tough to beat . The Yankees don't look like the powerhouse they seemed to be not too long ago . Personally, I am glad and surprised that the season made it this far. I will be pulling for the Cubbies.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    To me , that is too many teams . Anyway, I think the Dodgers will be awfully tough to beat . The Yankees don't look like the powerhouse they seemed to be not too long ago . Personally, I am glad and surprised that the season made it this far. I will be pulling for the Cubbies.
    I kind of like the expanded playoffs, but I completely understand the reasons stated against them. There's a game starting like every hour on Wednesday from noon to 8, or something like that. How in the heck am I supposed to watch all of that? LOL

Agreed on the Yankees. In terms of teams making it into the playoffs, they are mediocre. Definitely not a powerhouse. The Dodgers appear to be that powerhouse, but strange things happen in the playoffs. Anyone can win.

I would be fine with the Cubbies winning, though I would prefer a team that hasn't won in a long while.

First and foremost, anyone but the Yankees.

Dumbest shit here. Let’s say the Yanks won their series in 3, just for reference. They’ll have 3 days off and then will play all 5 games (if necessary) of their series in a row? That’s fucking stupid

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Dumbest shit here. Let’s say the Yanks won their series in 3, just for reference. They’ll have 3 days off and then will play all 5 games (if necessary) of their series in a row? That’s fucking stupid
    That's life in a 2020 COVID bubble. At least the same can be said for everybody else (or can it? I don't have the schedule in front of me)