Register now to remove this ad

Page 30 of 36 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: The Crazy MLB playoffs

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm not counting them out. If any team can comeback, it's the Rays.
    The Rayshave been resourceful. Heck, Margot nearly pulled off that steal of home (which I think was the right thing to try).

But their SP was never their strength, and their going to need some stellar outings to minimize the bullpen usage. The Dodgers have the advantage in this department...

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The Rayshave been resourceful. Heck, Margot nearly pulled off that steal of home (which I think was the right thing to try).

But their SP was never their strength, and their going to need some stellar outings to minimize the bullpen usage. The Dodgers have the advantage in this department...
    The Dodgers are going Gonsolin then Buehler. The Rays are going Snell and Morton, so for the final two games, the advantage is clearly with the Rays in total. The Dodger's advantage is they only need to win a single game
    The rebuild is complete.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    The Dodgers are going Gonsolin then Buehler. The Rays are going Snell and Morton, so for the final two games, the advantage is clearly with the Rays in total. The Dodger's advantage is they only need to win a single game
    It's impossible to predict what will happen in these games. But you're right, beating the Dodgers twice is a tall order for the Rays.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

Theme song of 2020 Red Sox: "Tanks for the Memories"

The Rays big hope is that they light up Gonsolin quickly, and force Roberts into a lot of innings from the pen, weakening it for Game 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    The Rays big hope is that they light up Gonsolin quickly, and force Roberts into a lot of innings from the pen, weakening it for Game 7.
    If the Rays jump up early, I can forsee Roberts punting Game 6 and resting his big performers. Starting Gonsolin certainly gives the impression that Game 6 is a "throw shit against the wall" game for LA. If it sticks, then roll with it. If it doesnt, youve got the hammer waiting on full rest in game 7
    The rebuild is complete.

If the Rays jump up early, I can forsee Roberts punting Game 6 and resting his big performers. Starting Gonsolin certainly gives the impression that Game 6 is a "throw shit against the wall" game for LA. If it sticks, then roll with it. If it doesnt, youve got the hammer waiting on full rest in game 7
    I don't really disagree. But punting Game 6 of the World Series could be, perhaps, a slightly dubious strategy...

Question on the steal; it looked to me like the tag came on the helmet which was touching his chest after falling off; would he have been safe had it not fallen off?

Ballsy play either way.
    The Yankees could go 0-162 and it wouldn't be enough

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by illinoisredsox View Post
    Question on the steal; it looked to me like the tag came on the helmet which was touching his chest after falling off; would he have been safe had it not fallen off?

Ballsy play either way.
    good question.

The helmet fell on to Barnes' glove as Margot's hand was touching the plate. Had the helmet not fallen off, he would have been safe (unless you argue the falling helmet prevented Barnes from moving his hands forward).

Not sure what the rule book says about batting helmets that fall off.

But all things considered - light-hitting lefty Kiermaier up against tough lefty Kershaw, Turner playing well off the bag and giving Margot a huge lead), I liked the call...

It was a classic steal home situation. Two outs , left handed pitcher, left handed hitter , fast runner , Kershaw takes that big , over the head stretch. I don't blame him for trying , but he was clearly out. I do think that Snell vs Gonsolin favors the Rays.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    It was a classic steal home situation. Two outs , left handed pitcher, left handed hitter , fast runner , Kershaw takes that big , over the head stretch. I don't blame him for trying , but he was clearly out. I do think that Snell vs Gonsolin favors the Rays.
    Also, Turner was way off the line, allowing him a very big lead.

But I didn't think he was clearly out. Altough I do think umpires lean that way on close plays like that, because it's usually the right call.

But if you slow down the replay, you can see his hand touches home plate before he gets tagged. However, his loose helmet gets tagged before he touches home plate. Normally, the helmet is part of the runner, but does that apply when it falls off?

Also, Turner was way off the line, allowing him a very big lead.

But I didn't think he was clearly out. Altough I do think umpires lean that way on close plays like that, because it's usually the right call.

But if you slow down the replay, you can see his hand touches home plate before he gets tagged. However, his loose helmet gets tagged before he touches home plate. Normally, the helmet is part of the runner, but does that apply when it falls off?
    It shouldn't. What if his helmet fell off at 3B, could they tag it there, and he's out? I think not.

The helmet was not even touching the runner when tagged.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    You can't count the Rays out yet. They are fighting so hard. They have a favorable pitching matchup for Game 6. This is not over by any means.
    It's over.

You canít count the Rays out of anything. With Arozarena turning into a man child, their offense is now difficult to defend. They can already pitch, run, and field. Should be exciting
    It's over.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmi View Post
    It's over.
    Don't you think the Rays have a good shot in Game 6 with the Dodgers starting Gonsolin, though?

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Don't you think the Rays have a good shot in Game 6 with the Dodgers starting Gonsolin, though?
    On paper, the Rays should have the advantage.

I just don't have a lot of confidence in the Rays' hitting, while the Dodgers have been able to hit the Rays pitching pretty well.

I'm not feeling it for the Rays. They might win Game 6, but there's no way they beat the Dodgers 2 in a row. I think the Dodgers take it in six.