Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Roenicke fired

Mark Loretta? Sam Fuld?
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

I don't think the Red Sox bring Cora back... not in 2021. As much as ownership loves Cora, Bloom does not (why should he), and the franchise is committed to the current Chief Baseball Officer. Bloom will get to bring in his own guy, someone trusted to help oversee a rebuild. Cora is not that guy -- he is a world champion manager, who knows how to prod a first place team to greater heights.

The controversy and pressure to bring back Cora may happen in a few years, when/if the Sox are finally back as legit contenders...and just missing that leader who can give them the extra push to the top.

Deity
    Matt Quatraro. Book it...

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I don't think the Red Sox bring Cora back... not in 2021. As much as ownership loves Cora, Bloom does not (why should he), and the franchise is committed to the current Chief Baseball Officer. Bloom will get to bring in his own guy, someone trusted to help oversee a rebuild. Cora is not that guy -- he is a world champion manager, who knows how to prod a first place team to greater heights.

The controversy and pressure to bring back Cora may happen in a few years, when/if the Sox are finally back as legit contenders...and just missing that leader who can give them the extra push to the top.
    I agree Bloom doesn't want to look back but rather move forward. I believe that Bloom always intended that RR would be a stop gap hire until he had enough time to fully evaluate all his baseball operations personnel. Bloom should now be free to make his own hires. I suspect that Bloom wants someone who shares his vision on how pitchers should be evaluated developed and managed and Cora may not share that vision. In any case both RR and Alex Cora were DD hires. The past is the past and the DD era is over. It is time for the Bloom era to begin and I doubt Chaim Bloom sees bringing back Cora would be in keeping with moving the organization forward

So they have a manager candidate who is experienced, a WS winner, a proven track record with the team is loved by players, great with the media, knowledgeable about baseball and its history and one of the very few in the "drumbeat" scandal who did NOT throw anyone under the bus, but proved his integrity by not selling out former players ... and yet, there are those who think that what's more important than that is that Bloom get "his guy"? (Is Henry going to make sure he gets him cheap as well?)
    "Fans have become more entitled than anything. So they're starting to question our motives for the game, or how we approach the game. The ones that do question -- like who are you? Just shut up and watch the game tonight." --Kevin Durant on players' lack of effort in regular season games.

Quote Originally Posted by jad View Post
    So they have a manager candidate who is experienced, a WS winner, a proven track record with the team is loved by players, great with the media, knowledgeable about baseball and its history and one of the very few in the "drumbeat" scandal who did NOT throw anyone under the bus, but proved his integrity by not selling out former players ... and yet, there are those who think that what's more important than that is that Bloom get "his guy"? (Is Henry going to make sure he gets him cheap as well?)
    Yep...maybe Cora didn't cheat with the Sox but his fingerprints were all over Houston cheating scandal. Clean slate is clean slate.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yep...maybe Cora didn't cheat with the Sox but his fingerprints were all over Houston cheating scandal. Clean slate is clean slate.
    I'm with you. No need to bring that into the clubhouse

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post

We have no idea what Bloom's thoughts are on Cora. None.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    The cheating started long before he was even there. Cora was a scapegoat.

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    The cheating started long before he was even there. Cora was a scapegoat.
    But he was still attached in the media and suspended. If the Sox do avoid him, it could be for PR reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    We have no idea what Bloom's thoughts are on Cora. None.
    100% correct.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Speaking with the media via a Zoom call following the announcement that Ron Roenicke wouldn’t be returning as manager for the 2021 season, the Red Sox’ Chief Baseball Officer consistently refused to offer any specifics when asked about whether or not Bloom viewed Cora as a managerial candidate.

"With respect to Alex and I know this is a question I got a couple times during the season and I think you guys know where I stand on Alex, but I know I didn’t get into very much detail about it during the season," Bloom said. "That was really because out of respect to Ron. I thought that Ron deserved to be evaluated without anybody looking over his shoulder. So i know that’s not the case anymore but I still don’t really want to get into any detail on my thoughts on Alex. I don’t want to say anything about Alex that I haven’t already said to Alex and obviously I haven’t spoken to Alex. So there will be a time where I can get into more detail on Alex and his situation and my thoughts on it, but that time isn’t now so I’m hoping everybody will respect that."

If Cora is a candidate to replace Roenicke, the Red Sox are not allowed to talk with the former Sox manager until after the completion of the World Series due to his current one-year suspension for his role in the 2017 Houston Astros cheating scandal.

When asked if his stance regarding Cora had remained the same since discussing the topic on WEEI in May -- when Bloom detailed that the parting of the ways with the former manager had solely to do with how the Houston transgression might impact the 2020 Red Sox -- the Sox chief decision-maker reiterated nothing had changed.

If I wagered a guess, Bloom most likely believes Cora is a great fit for the Red Sox, BUT the history with the scandal may make it too hard to bring him back. If not for the Astros nonsense, Cora would still be the manager going forward.

Is it too early for Varitek to be manager?

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Is it too early for Varitek to be manager?
    Can't name one until after the WS.