Register now to remove this ad

Page 2 of 287 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020-2021 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    Safe to assume Peraza is not going to be a factor. He's the foremost non-tender candidate, possibly more so than Lin and Brice...
    Yes, Lin is out of options, but he is pre-arb, so they may keep him as a min wager on the 26 man opening day roster.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Here are the arbs for 2021 (2020 salary):

ERod ($8.3M) 4 of 4
    Barnes ($3M) 3 of 3
    Peraza ($2.9M) 3 of 4 (non tendered?)
    Godley (min) 2 of 3
    Plawecki ($900K) 3 of 4
    Covey ($692K) 1 of 3
    Devers (Min) 1 of 3
    Pivetta (Min) 1 of 3
    Brasier (Min) 1 of 3
    Brice (Min) 1 of 3 (Non tendered?)

Verdugo, Weber, Taylor, Walden, Brewer, D Hern & others are pre-arb
    Nontender Godley too? Maybe even Covey?

Brice wasn't great, but he's a AAAA guy that you can use in a pinch.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Extend Devers?

Extend Verdugo?

Most amazing stat of 2020: Houck only pitched three games and still tied for the top WAR on the entire staff with Eovaldi and Perez; only three position players had higher value for the sprint season -- Bradley, Verdugo and Bogaerts.

When it comes to position players, I think just about anyone is fair game in trade talks this winter -- except X and Devers, who they'll try to fix (especially on D), depending on new management/coaching staff. He's still young, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox give it one more year before deciding position changes are in order -- Rafie at first, Rafie at DH, Rafie at Atlanta for pitching prospects -- which could include radical moves like sliding Bogie over and signing a star free agent shortstop... or freeing the Rockies of Arenado's contract (as long as they threw in a good arm). Nolan had a JD 2020...

I'd hate to see Verdugo go, but you can be sure Bloom will listen to any offer that includes a controllable stud pitcher. That's why Vazquez may be dealt, as well. I also wouldn't be surprised if Beni, Dalbec and/or Chavis are flipped for mere perceived upgrades. Same with Barnes and Braiser. JBJ, thanks for the memories.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Nontender Godley too? Maybe even Covey?

Brice wasn't great, but he's a AAAA guy that you can use in a pinch.
    None of these guys would get big arb raises, but they can easily be replaced with min wage players, saving us a few hundreds of thousands on the budget.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    Most amazing stat of 2020: Houck only pitched three games and still tied for the top WAR on the entire staff with Eovaldi and Perez; only three position players had higher value for the sprint season -- Bradley, Verdugo and Bogaerts.

When it comes to position players, I think just about anyone is fair game in trade talks this winter -- except X and Devers, who they'll try to fix (especially on D), depending on new management/coaching staff. He's still young, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Sox give it one more year before deciding position changes are in order -- Rafie at first, Rafie at DH, Rafie at Atlanta for pitching prospects -- which could include radical moves like sliding Bogie over and signing a star free agent shortstop... or freeing the Rockies of Arenado's contract (as long as they threw in a good arm). Nolan had a JD 2020...

I'd hate to see Verdugo go, but you can be sure Bloom will listen to any offer that includes a controllable stud pitcher. That's why Vazquez may be dealt, as well. I also wouldn't be surprised if Beni, Dalbec and/or Chavis are flipped for mere perceived upgrades. Same with Barnes and Braiser. JBJ, thanks for the memories.
    I'm not sure trading Barnes, this winter, while his stock is low, makes sense. He may be a summer 2021 trade candidate.

I can see us looking to deal Vaz, Beni & Chavis and non tendering a lot of players (Brice, Covey, Godley, Springs, Triggs, Hall, Kickham, Stock and Lin).
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    I'm not sure trading Barnes, this winter, while his stock is low, makes sense. He may be a summer 2021 trade candidate.

I can see us looking to deal Vaz, Beni & Chavis and non tendering a lot of players (Brice, Covey, Godley, Springs, Triggs, Hall, Kickham, Stock and Lin).
    Covey and Stock (and Mazza) did look better with their advanced metrics, and that might give them a chance at sticking. Kickham, Triggs, Springs, and Matt "Spin Rate" Hall might not be so lucky...

Covey and Stock (and Mazza) did look better with their advanced metrics, and that might give them a chance at sticking. Kickham, Triggs, Springs, and Matt "Spin Rate" Hall might not be so lucky...
    I think out of all of those guys, Mazza has the best shot of sticking around.

I think out of all of those guys, Mazza has the best shot of sticking around.
    Agreed. Maybe Covey is second.
    Sox 4 Ever

Is it Brad Miller time? He is a LHH UTIL guy you can platoon when needed.

Maybe the Padres don't pick up Moreland's option and Sox re-sign?

$3MM club option with $500K buyout: The 35-year-old raked with the Red Sox but saw his bat collapse upon a trade to the Padres, for whom he’s posted a dismal .203/.247/.362 slash in 73 plate appearances. It’s still a cheap price, and the Padres gave up some minor league talent to get Moreland, so perhaps he’s still in the 2021 plans.

Deity
    Is it Brad Miller time? He is a LHH UTIL guy you can platoon when needed.
    He plays 1B, 2B and corner OF and posted a respectable .807 OPS in 171 PA this year, not to mention Bloom has acquired him before. While certainly not the most exciting acquisition, I would put him as Bloom's Most Likely Acquisition (a distinction not based on team need, just probability)...

He plays 1B, 2B and corner OF and posted a respectable .807 OPS in 171 PA this year, not to mention Bloom has acquired him before. While certainly not the most exciting acquisition, I would put him as Bloom's Most Likely Acquisition (a distinction not based on team need, just probability)...
    Seems like a perfect fit. It would possibly allow us to not have to fill 2 other slots (2B, 1B and 4th OF'er). My guess is, we'll sign a CF'er, 4th OF'er and a guy like Miller (2B/1B) or we could sign a 2Bman and a 1B/OF type (like Miller).
    Sox 4 Ever

One thing Bloom does need to figure out is if he wants to keep Devers at 3B or have him transition this offseason. Maybe he believes Devers will just move to DH when JD's contract ends?

Deity
    One thing Bloom does need to figure out is if he wants to keep Devers at 3B or have him transition this offseason. Maybe he believes Devers will just move to DH when JD's contract ends?
    The Sox ranked 30th in UZR/150 and 26th in DRS at 3B. Maybe move Devers to 1B and Dalbec to 3B?