Register now to remove this ad

Page 3 of 287 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020-2021 Offseason Thread

Weird that a Bloom team would be that bad on D, although 2020 was hard enough to really grapple with anyway. TB always seemed to have arms that threw 100 and defense behind their cannons. So of course, the Sox has pussballing pitchers (sans a few of course) and a group of guys who kicked the ball around

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    I'm not sure trading Barnes, this winter, while his stock is low, makes sense. He may be a summer 2021 trade candidate.

I can see us looking to deal Vaz, Beni & Chavis and non tendering a lot of players (Brice, Covey, Godley, Springs, Triggs, Hall, Kickham, Stock and Lin).
    I don't know if Barnes' stock will ever be higher, unless he signs a multi-year team-friendly deal somewhere; he still throws in the high-90s and can spin a curve in the strike zone. Does anyone believe he'll develop into a more reliable option in back-to-back days or in the final inning of a game? He's already 30...

Legend
    Looking at it a different way which would be to identify the best team we could put on the field in 2021 without signing anyone who is not currently on the team and then suggesting which changes could/should be made to make marginal or significant improvements is an interesting exercise. My try at it will probably get criticism for some of the more controversial suggestions I am makkiing:

Starters:
    E-Rod (maybe available in May)
    Eovaldi (possible closer candidate)
    Houck
    Mata
    Perez
    Pivetta
    Sale (maybe in June)alden

Relievers:
    Barnes (closer)
    Brasier
    Brice
    D-Hern
    Mazza (long relief0
    Valdez
    Walden

Catchers:
    Vazquez
    Plawecki

Infielders
    Devers
    Bogaerts
    Arroyo
    Dalbec

Outfielders:
    Verdugo
    JBJ (resign as FA)
    Duran

DH:
    JDM

Other Utility:
    Downs
    Munoz
    Chavis

My guess is that this team would have an 85 win potential. You could argue some are unproven rookies and that would be fair, but what would you rather do and why?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    The Sox ranked 30th in UZR/150 and 26th in DRS at 3B. Maybe move Devers to 1B and Dalbec to 3B?
    Devers showed signs of vast improvement on defense, last year. They may feel he deserves a longer look. He's still younger than Dalbec.

I'd be fine with shifting him to 1B and giving Dalbec a shot at 3B- maybe sign Turner to a 1-2 year deal.

Devers at DH should not be considered for a few years.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by 5GoldGloves:OF,75 View Post
    I don't know if Barnes' stock will ever be higher, unless he signs a multi-year team-friendly deal somewhere; he still throws in the high-90s and can spin a curve in the strike zone. Does anyone believe he'll develop into a more reliable option in back-to-back days or in the final inning of a game? He's already 30...
    If he pitches well next year, his deadline value may be higher than it is now. "May."

I'm not against trading him, this winter, but as bad as he looked, this year and last, his numbers beat just about everyone else in the pen.

Barnes, DHern, Valdez and Taylor seem like the best in-system bets to be helpful, next year.
    Sox 4 Ever

Quote Originally Posted by oldtimer View Post
    Looking at it a different way which would be to identify the best team we could put on the field in 2021 without signing anyone who is not currently on the team and then suggesting which changes could/should be made to make marginal or significant improvements is an interesting exercise. My try at it will probably get criticism for some of the more controversial suggestions I am making:

Starters:
    E-Rod (maybe available in May)
    Eovaldi (possible closer candidate)
    Houck
    Mata
    Perez
    Pivetta
    Sale (maybe in June)alden

Relievers:
    Barnes (closer)
    Brasier
    Brice
    D-Hern
    Mazza (long relief0
    Valdez
    Walden

Catchers:
    Vazquez
    Plawecki

Infielders
    Devers
    Bogaerts
    Arroyo
    Dalbec

Outfielders:
    Verdugo
    JBJ (resign as FA)
    Duran

DH:
    JDM

Other Utility:
    Downs
    Munoz
    Chavis

My guess is that this team would have an 85 win potential. You could argue some are unproven rookies and that would be fair, but what would you rather do and why?
    You forgot Beni.

Here's how I would put it:

26 Man Roster
    Starters:
    Eovaldi
    Perez
    Pivetta
    Mazza> E-Rod (maybe available in May/June- Mazza to pen as long relief-Covey to AAA)
    Houck>Sale (maybe in June/July- Houck to pen to limit IP-Walden to AAA)
    (Mata/Seabold may join in late summer)

Relievers:
    Barnes (closer)
    DHern
    Taylor
    Brasier
    Valdez
    Covey
    Walden

Catchers:
    Vazquez
    Plawecki

Infielders
    Devers
    Bogaerts
    Arroyo
    Dalbec

Outfielders:
    Beni
    JBJ (re-signed- although I doubt he is.) (Wilson/Puello?)
    Verdugo

DH:
    JDM

Other Utility:
    Munoz (Downs may join in late summer)
    Chavis (Ockimey is a long shot)
    Puello (Duran may replace him by July/Aug)
    Last edited by moonslav59; 09-28-2020 at 02:51 PM.
    Sox 4 Ever

Deity
    He didn’t forget Benintendi. He left him out in favor of Duran on purpose...

Legend
    Moon

I didn't forget Beni, instead I suspect he will go in a trade

I agree with your assessment that Mazza may begin the season as a starter and wind up as a long reliever.

I didn't mention Seabold but hear he has the potential to make the team in 2021.

I don't know enough about Covey to have an opinion

JBJ is a question mark who the Sox can keep if they make a good offer. Still, you're right in thinking he is questionable at this point.

I thin Duran has a shot of making the team out of spring training and that might make Puello the odd man out.

Downs ability to fill in at multiple positions makes him an intriguing prospect. I know Arroyo has that ability as well.

Having established who we might believe if we stuck to players currently with the Sox, or who might be made an offer to stay, who do you then think will be replaced with FA acquisitions or through trades? The assumption is that whoever is pointed out would constitute a meaningful improvement in competitiveness.

A starter
    A closer
    One more relief pitcher
    An Outfielder

Deity
    If Duran makes them team, it’s to start. If Puello makes the team, he’s on the bench. They shouldn’t impact each other’s status...

Legend
    The Red Sox quandary is that upgrades are perilous through this year's lackluster free agent class but the Sox lack the personnel currency to upgrade significantly through trades.

But Chaim Bloom might be the executive to pull it off.

Or not.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    Roenicke gone.

JBJ?

How will Bloom spend now that the tax cap has been reset?
    I don't think we necessarily go over the tax limit this year.

I don't think they are going to sign any big name guys. I think they'll go for under the radar guys and will still probably stay under the tax cap. I don't think they go over the cap again until they are ready to compete for another title.
    You're saying they won't be competitive next year? I agree with everything you said, otherwise.

I think they'll be competitive, I just don't think the timing is right to make a big splash.

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    They have seen that spending on multiple second tier names can have some success, like they did back in 2013...
    Exactly.

Maybe the Padres don't pick up Moreland's option and Sox re-sign?

$3MM club option with $500K buyout: The 35-year-old raked with the Red Sox but saw his bat collapse upon a trade to the Padres, for whom he’s posted a dismal .203/.247/.362 slash in 73 plate appearances. It’s still a cheap price, and the Padres gave up some minor league talent to get Moreland, so perhaps he’s still in the 2021 plans.
    I would welcome Moreland back with open arms at his option price.

With the talent we have waiting in the wings at 1B and potentially 3B.... would it be completely idiotic to dangle Devers out to ATL for some of their young stud arms. In their top prospects they have one 3B who’s a few years away from making an impact. Should we strike while the iron is hot and move Dalbec over and give Casas a shot at 1B and really roll the dice and get major league talent back on the mound??