Register now to remove this ad

Page 52 of 287 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020-2021 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    Of course, and losing Betts, but I think trading Betts and Price was forced on him.
    I think you can take that to the bank.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

2021 will be an addition of talent year. I think you will see the sox add some talent, spend some money, but I doubt they try or even come close to the Yanks, Jays or Rays in the division. I think some of that will be by design. I would anticipate Bloom will further sell off some short term assets and deepen the pool of talent in the system. Some of that should grow into starting roles by 2022, when I would expect more money to fall off the table and more dead weight to be cut. THAT is the time you will see Bloom pounce. As by then, the Yanks will have some difficult decisions to make, the Rays will have dealt away a lot of their now talent and the Jays will be coming into their own. That is the year to target, and one I think Henry is targeting as well. I highly, highly doubt the sox are even playoff contenders next year. Trust the process here. Bloom is the right guy
    Hal sucks

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    2021 will be an addition of talent year. I think you will see the sox add some talent, spend some money, but I doubt they try or even come close to the Yanks, Jays or Rays in the division. I think some of that will be by design. I would anticipate Bloom will further sell off some short term assets and deepen the pool of talent in the system. Some of that should grow into starting roles by 2022, when I would expect more money to fall off the table and more dead weight to be cut. THAT is the time you will see Bloom pounce. As by then, the Yanks will have some difficult decisions to make, the Rays will have dealt away a lot of their now talent and the Jays will be coming into their own. That is the year to target, and one I think Henry is targeting as well. I highly, highly doubt the sox are even playoff contenders next year. Trust the process here. Bloom is the right guy
    Until the Jays get some sort of pitching rotation, they'll be closer to .500 over the course of 162 games. Right now, their rotation is Ryu, Roark (yuck), Anderson (go back to the Brewers) and nobody (if Pearson doesn't pan out). They need to sign 2 FA starters. Maybe they splurge for Bauer or bring Stroman back?

This year, TOR's OPS+ was 108, Sox were 107 (with dreadful years for Beni, Devers, JD). I think these two teams are closer than you think.
    ( I won't say the "C word.")

Blue Jays offense also won't consistently rake like that over a 162 game season

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder View Post
    Blue Jays offense also won't consistently rake like that over a 162 game season
    The Three Sons are pretty good, though.

Quote Originally Posted by mvp 78 View Post
    And now that he has lux tax space, there shouldn't be any more strings from ownership.
    We don't know what limits Henry has placed on future spending. For all we know, Bloom not be able to go over the tax line, again, this year or be limited to not going more than $20M over.

If the plan is to start being serious contenders in 2022 and beyond, it might make sense to make 2022 year one of the tax and "splurge" next winter not this one.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    A back end starter, a backup catcher and a utility infielder?

I'd be a bit hesitant to get excited about Valdez, who can easily turn into Marcus Walden 2.0...
    He had to start somewhere with such a limited budget, and our 40 man roster was only about 18 players deep, when he took over.

Let's see what he does with the larger spending budget, this winter.

BTW, with all the trades and free agents to be, we're still only about 18 deep on our 40 man. Further deeping our 40 man roster might be the main task for this winter, while improving quality might be next winter's main task.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Yup, and the brother; the BJs have some of the most coveted young hitters in the game. Whether any of them can find defensive positions they're good at remains to be seen.

We don't know what limits Henry has placed on future spending. For all we know, Bloom not be able to go over the tax line, again, this year or be limited to not going more than $20M over.

If the plan is to start being serious contenders in 2022 and beyond, it might make sense to make 2022 year one of the tax and "splurge" next winter not this one.
    I think that splurge is coming, but on a star position player or two. Here's why: the top starting pitchers slated for free agency after next season are Noah Syndergaard, Clayton Kershaw, Max Scherzer, Justin Verlander, Zack Greinke... the first one is coming off major surgery and the others can't be trusted by anyone who grew up in the 1960s.

I think you can take that to the bank.
    Henry for sure did.

Bo is really, really good. I'm not entirely sold on Cavan yet.

I'm also not sure that they available guys warrant a splurge this year.

Bo is really, really good. I'm not entirely sold on Cavan yet.
    Cavan's offensive numbers look pretty solid.

Cavan, Gurriel, Bo, and Vlad are really, really good and a hell of a building block for the future. Ryu is a good #2. I definitely, 100% think the Jays are the dark horse for Bauer. They are a starter and a closer away from making some real noise
    Hal sucks

I'm also not sure that they available guys warrant a splurge this year.
    So true.

A splurge may not be on 1-2 studs, though. I could see us getting 1-2 mid-ranged players, this winter and 3-5 next winter. Spending a lot but not on just 1-2 guys.