Register now to remove this ad

Page 264 of 287 FirstFirst ... 164214254262263264265266274 ... LastLast
Results 3,946 to 3,960 of 4302

Thread: 2020-2021 Offseason Thread

Quote Originally Posted by notin View Post
    There is no truth that a younger untried player increases the Sox chances of making the post-season more than adding Bradley does. Even if said younger player, whom I presume is Duran, has a true breakout season, which is the strawman portion of the point...
    Actually there is the following truth. As the saying goes if you always do what you always did you always get what you always got. Let's never try the untried. If we believed that we would never try anything new. I am glad Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Henry Ford et al didn't subscribe to that philosophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Elktonnick View Post
    Actually there is the following truth. As the saying goes if you always do what you always did you always get what you always got. Let's never try the untried. If we believed that we would never try anything new. I am glad Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, Henry Ford et al didn't subscribe to that philosophy.
    So, keep doing what we've been doing, and a ring is just around the corner.
    When you say it's gonna happen now
    When exactly do you mean?

There is no truth that a younger untried player increases the Sox chances of making the post-season more than adding Bradley does. Even if said younger player, whom I presume is Duran, has a true breakout season, which is the strawman portion of the point...
    We could sign JBJ and both JBJ and Duran help us get somewhere exciting, this fall.

Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    We could sign JBJ and both JBJ and Duran help us get somewhere exciting, this fall.
    I doubt we sign JBJ strictly based on the cost. JBJ would be a nice asset but I don't see the Sox taking on a multi-year commitment while rebuilding.

Quote Originally Posted by dgalehouse View Post
    With all due respect to Cora , I don't think a few games in the P.R. Winter League is a good test for being the Red Sox centerfielder. I will repeat it again. We went from being the best team ever assembled in 2018 to the A.L. East basement two years later. So , I am not yet confident in Bloom and his plan.
    Denny, we went from being the best team ever assembled in 2018 to 84-78 and third place in 2019, before hiring Bloom.
    Championships since purchase by John Henry group: Red Sox 4 Yankees 1

The Red Sox are 8-1 in their last 9 postseason games against the Yankees.

Actually there is the following truth. As the saying goes if you always do what you always did you always get what you always got.
    That is kind of a dopey saying. What if what you always got was really good? In that case should you keep doing what you were always doing?

Deity
    It still doesn’t mean the Sox have a better chance at the postseason with Duran over Bradley.

Duran might be the more likely player at this point, but that’s only because he’s already here...

Deity
    Quote Originally Posted by Bellhorn04 View Post
    Denny, we went from being the best team ever assembled in 2018 to 84-78 and third place in 2019, before hiring Bloom.
    In fact, the Red Sox took a bigger step down (.148 point drop on winning pct.) from 2018 to 2019 than they did from 2019 to 2020 (.119 point drop in winning percentage)...
    Last edited by notin; 02-27-2021 at 10:08 AM.

In fact, the Red Sox took a bigger step down (.148 point drop on winning pct.) from 2018 to 2019 than they did from 2018 to 2029 (.119 point drop in winning percentage)...
    And it's equally absurd to put all the blame on DD for 2019's plummet or on CB for 2020's plummet.

Deity
    And it's equally absurd to put all the blame on DD for 2019's plummet or on CB for 2020's plummet.
    Well, we don’t really know what DD was allowed to spend after 2018, but I do think he did some unwise spending (Eovaldi). Bloom it appears was not allowed any increase in net spending and was charged with reducing payroll...

Well, we don’t really know what DD was allowed to spend after 2018, but I do think he did some unwise spending (Eovaldi). Bloom it appears was not allowed any increase in net spending and was charged with reducing payroll...
    Bloom's hands were tied, agreed.

DD didn't have a stellar 2018-2019 offseason, but I don't think that accounts for the 2019 tumble either. It was a whole package of bad things.

Bloom's hands were tied, agreed.

DD didn't have a stellar 2018-2019 offseason, but I don't think that accounts for the 2019 tumble either. It was a whole package of bad things.
    It's not like DD didn't spend his last winter here. I could be wrong, but I think he spent more than Bloom the next winter- mostly on re-signing Eovaldi and Pearce and extensions.

Quote Originally Posted by moonslav59 View Post
    It's not like DD didn't spend his last winter here. I could be wrong, but I think he spent more than Bloom the next winter- mostly on re-signing Eovaldi and Pearce and extensions.
    DD certainly spent. The Sale and Bogey extensions, of course, were spending in the name of keeping star players around.

Bloom has spent very lightly to date, that's for sure.

Bloom has been realistic to date. You don’t spend to end up a middle of the road team. You spend to win it all. The one thing I’m surprised about is that he didn’t sign Justin Wilson or Charlie Morton or other 1 year guys who could bring back serious hauls at the deadline

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonianmarch View Post
    Bloom has been realistic to date. You don’t spend to end up a middle of the road team. You spend to win it all. The one thing I’m surprised about is that he didn’t sign Justin Wilson or Charlie Morton or other 1 year guys who could bring back serious hauls at the deadline
    a) Only one team can win it all. You also spend to entertain the fans a bit, no? They pay the bills, after all.
    b) Charlie Morton got $15 million, arguably an overpay by current standards. If we signed him and traded him at the deadline he would cost us about $10 million, putting us over the tax threshold. And what if he flops.